Create your own sites coverage map

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexMark

I wanted to create a map with overlapping circles showing the coverage of selected sites in the database, such as on page 17 of the SDS100 manual, or here:

Here is the website I used:

My method was as follows:
First prepare a text file with line entries of the lat/long and distance. If a mistake is made, the subsequent work will be less tedious. An example entry from mine (which I list in alpha order so I can glance at my scanner and ensure I've got everything):

NCSHP Training Center
35.7112642 -78.6141709 15 m

Go to above website. Click "Only Show Border." Then:

1. Paste Lat/Long into Address field
2. Enter Radius
3. Click "New Circle"
Repeat these 3 steps until all your entries are completed.
When finished, be sure to copy and save the link it creates below the map, so you can quickly recreate it later.

I then did a simple screenshot and sent it to my printer. Maybe this will help someone. If there's an easier way (such as simply clicking all the Sites in RR and have it generate it!) please let me know.

Regards,
Mark L in Apex NC

Last edited:

Firekite

That’s a great start! I’m looking to do exactly that to help sort out a local system that is entered with massive coverage areas so you’re scanning all sites with all departments at all times except at the most extreme fringes—which is very annoying. My hope is to modify the ranges so that the overlap is less overwhelming so that I can limit sites to only those nearest and hopefully departments, too, so I don’t get East Dispatch calls on the very far west side anymore.

Firekite

Actually, I take it all back. This is the system I was hoping to correct:

If you look at the sites, they all have the exact same location and range info. Ugh. I may have to try to get it all done manually between Google Maps with Satellite view (or Google Earth?) and the "Site Location" data, though on several including the "Simulcast" sites they're missing.

Firekite

The CSV download file for the sites and frequencies for that is also bad:

View attachment 75203
Good catch! Is this across all of RR or just for this system?
EDIT: Picked another random trunked system (happened to be from Fort Worth, TX), and the CSV download worked fine.

The actual data starts with a comma for some reason, which throws it all off.
Code:
Site Dec,Site Hex,Description,County Name,Lat,Lon,Range,Frequencies
,013,D,Cagnon,Bexar,29.446773,-98.500671,25.862090382232,853.812500,...

Doesn't proscan have a feature like this? And a free trial?
Does it? Does it import from RR (or elsewhere) like Sentinel and draw out the map for you, let you draw squares, etc? I tried it once a while back but was still too new to know what I was looking at.

Maybe @ProScan can help ;)

Last edited:

eyes00only

Is this any better than the radius shown in the radio reference database? The database shows, power, mile coverage and
a radius circle.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Will it let you drag towers around for your favorites lists when RR is wrong?
Yes

For clarity: does it let you easily draw multiple rectangles to define a GPS coverage area? If so that alone might be worth the price of admission.
[/QUOTE]
The location info comes from Sentinel and any rectangles defined in Sentinel can be modified. The map can not create a new rectangle.

I always advise to try the 30 day fully functional demo / Trial. Your questions may be answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.