Lehigh County Boafeng radio and transmitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1822

So I have a boafeng radio that I am going to use for my EMS job in Lehigh county. I programmed the frequencies and when I key up the radio I hear myself in the truck and company portables but County Control does not hear me how can I correct this issue.

royldean

First of all, is the Baofeng you purchased certified for the service you are using it in? Please make sure that it is.

Secondly, is it possible that you simply aren't reaching the county antenna site? I'm assuming that this is a simplex frequency? Need more info.

emt1822

I'm not sure about if it is certified but other responders are using them.

As far as reaching it is possible and yes it is a simplex system. I dont know how to program it to reach the county.

Chronic

Teach him to program it and next week there will be a news paper article about jammers on the system.

emt1822

Wow.......really. first of all you think if I was gonna put jammers on the system I would publically ask for help wow. Secondly, my company does not have enough portable radios so sometimes we go on calls without them this is a safety issue for both us responders and our patients. I have authorization from my employers to use it and as a supervisor to make my own personal radio

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR! You really shouldn't use a Baofeng to operate on any frequency outside the amateur bands (though the capability is certainly there) & the FCC is moving to ban the import of new ones into the USA. I'd discontinue use of it if I were you and see about getting a proper county radio

emt1822

I get that but the problem is how expensive the kenwood and motorolas are boafeng was a cheap alternative.

Septa3371CSX1

Sounds like it is not programmed correctly. Like the others have said I'd recommend getting a higher quality radio. Look around on eBay, Facebook, etc for a decent used radio. A Motorola HT1250 would be a good bet assuming you only need analog conventional and those can be had for around $150.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I have a boafeng radio that I am going to use for my EMS job in Lehigh county. I programmed the frequencies and when I key up the radio I hear myself in the truck and company portables but County Control does not hear me how can I correct this issue.

Sounds like you have a programming issues.

As for the comments above, let me explain some of them, maybe that'll help.

1. BaoFeng radios are very low end radios designed for the hobby crowd. I'd not ever use them in any sort of life safety application. There's a liability issue that that I'm sure you can understand. Just like you wouldn't buy your defibrillator from the cheapest place you can find in China, no one should be using $20 Chinese radios in any sort of public safety application.

2. Federal Communications Commission rules are very clear on the subject. All radios used in these sorts of applications MUST have a valid Part 90 certification. Some of these low buck Cheap Chinese Radios either do not have those certifications or have fake certifications.

3. The FCC is also abundantly clear in 90.427, it is the responsibility of the licensee (agency/person who's name is on the FCC license) to maintain 100% control over every and all radios on the system. That very specifically means that you, even as an employee of the agency, is not allowed to add a radio on to the radio system without express permission from the licensee. It doesn't matter if you are an employee, a volunteer, your supervisor said it was OK, or anything else. Without express permission from the licensee you are operating without a license, and both you and your employer would be in violation of those rules. eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

You may find someone that will gladly help you get your radio programmed correctly, but PLEASE, understand and abide by what was said above. Do not put anyone's life on the line with a $20 radio. Make sure you get permission (in writing on agency letterhead) from the agency holding the FCC license.

Better yet, just use the radio for listening. No issues with that.

I run/maintain public safety radio systems for a living. I'd —never— use one of the cheap Chinese radios in any sort of professional/public safety/life safety application. I've had users try, and they always sound like crap, and the dispatchers complain to me of "radio system issues". The time wasted tracking them down and getting a proper radio to replace it is costly. Don't be "that guy".

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
There is decent Kenwood tk2170, 2180 out there from reputable dealers on sites that are used and refurbished and under 100, to 200 dollars. You could go for a nx5200 for around 550ish with basics.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

sparkydude

How about the possibility that you programmed the output frequency in your radio. See if there's a input frequency .
in which case you'd have to program your baofeng to transmit in the input and receive on the output.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I get that but the problem is how expensive the kenwood and motorolas are boafeng was a cheap alternative.

We understand that.

But using cheap radios that may not meet the requirements of the FCC puts others at risk. A cheap radio can transmit spurious emissions outside the desired frequency, causing interference to other public safety users. As said, don't be "that guy".

There is a very good reason the radios are expensive. It's because they are designed for the job, they meet the requirements and they have the proper filtering to make sure they don't cause issues for other users.

But, ultimately it's up to you and your department. I'd personally have issues working with a department that cannot/will not provide proper equipment. While every EMT doesn't need their own radio, there should be at least one per truck. If the agency will not provide that, it raises many questions. A NEW simple VHF or UHF analog radio will run you $200 or so. If the agency can afford to put fuel in the trucks, but not provide a $200 radio, then there's those red flags again.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
:rolleyes: I'm sure that the warm, loving reception and helpful attitudes in this thread has driven the newbie op elsewhere for information.. :unsure:

@emt1822 Welcome to the Radio Reference forums!

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
:rolleyes: I'm sure that the warm, loving reception and helpful attitudes in this thread has driven the newbie op elsewhere for information.. :unsure:

@emt1822 Welcome to the Radio Reference forums!
Perhaps somewhere else where people will say what he wants to hear instead of the truth.

Reliable used equipment is widely available. We just installed two new used Kenwood radios at our county health department. They are mainly used for ARES communications, but can also talk on local law enforcement, fire and EMS frequencies (authorized use). Capable of wide band for ham and narrow band for public safety. Bought surplus from a nearby fire department that was changing bands. Needed to buy mics - otherwise reprogrammed and ready to go.

Grants are another possibility for organized departments. For a while Homeland Security was giving grants like the were going out of style.

Lehigh_911

If the original poster is still checking this thread, please note that any radio on our system must be Part 90 approved by the FCC in order to not jeopardize our licenses. Addtionally, our primary VHF EMS channel, A-5, is NOT simplex. It is repeated, so if your agency is programming the channel as simplex, the Dispatchers will never hear you. Please feel free to contact me off-list for additional details if desired.

phillydjdan

I absolutely concur with what the others are saying. Baofengs are NOT appropriate for public safety. They are cheap and built that way. Drop it on the ground and i'ts dead. Bend the antenna and it's broken. Bend over and the belt clip breaks off. Not to mention they sound like utter garbage on the other end. Then add in people trying to program them when they don't know how and now you have a radio that could be transmitting on any freaking frequency! Trust me, leave it to the professionals. It could cost you your life!

Status
Not open for further replies.