The end of scanner development and mfg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

You can continue to empty a box of tissues or man up and get out of your comfort zone by picking up something like a Icom R30. A wideband receiver that offers a real working app, Bluetooth, dual record, dual receive, dual bandcope, P25, and a bunch of other digital modes already included. The R30 comes with a desktop charger and the option to use AA batteries.

I'm not saying to replace your existing scanner, just add the R30 to your shack. Icom will be around a lot longer than Whistler or Uniden.
Have always wondered why Icom or others never entered the scanner industry? The sds are getting up into the high end price range. I have considered the R30, but how practical is having multibands in just a portable radio?

N4DJC

If I kept only one radio it would be my R30. Icom builds for the world market where most public service is encrypted, the ability to scan trunked systems is not high on their feature list.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Have always wondered why Icom or others never entered the scanner industry? The sds are getting up into the high end price range. I have considered the R30, but how practical is having multibands in just a portable radio?

If the R30 offered DMR, it would be the perfect radio. It's simply the best receiver I own. I'd rather have a portable, less bulky easy to hide in a pocket and record hits as I walk around.

slicerwizard

I'm not sure if it's necessary to keep reminding some of us what encryption is, I assure you, I for one... Know what encryption is.
Apparently, the poster I quoted did not. Everything isn't about you.

Don't underestimate some of the experience that people have here as you lecture them on rudimentary basics. It makes you look bad.
I doubt I was underestimating that particular poster.

When I said that people will find a way around it but I wasn't going to discuss it because it is illegal I will give you at least a hint of what I was talking about. I usually don't talk with people who insult me but... what's going to happen will be those with the proper resources will have private and I emphasize the word private ways of sharing it with others on the internet. I'm not going to go into details but you figure it out.
It's already being done. If you have the connections and/or the financial resources, you too can get yourself a fully keyed radio or access to a private stream. No encryption cracking involved and no need to be coy about discussing it.

On queue.
And the hits just keep on coming. It's "On cue."

scanmanmi

If I kept only one radio it would be my R30. Icom builds for the world market where most public service is encrypted, the ability to scan trunked systems is not high on their feature list.
You've got me interested now. Maybe I'll check out the Icom forum. How does the HF perform as compared to a base station?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Apparently, the poster I quoted did not. Everything isn't about you.

I doubt I was underestimating that particular poster.

It's already being done. If you have the connections and/or the financial resources, you too can get yourself a fully keyed radio or access to a private stream. No encryption cracking involved and no need to be coy about discussing it.

And the hits just keep on coming. It's "On cue."
Of course it's not all about me but you must know when comments are directed at somebody in this public forum they will be responded to.

Some of the comments that you're quoting were not directed towards you as I quoted 2 different people.

I'm probably just old school in this community and don't do well with rude know-it-all types. It didn't used to be like that. Of course I know this illegal streaming is being done. Do you think I thought of that idea myself?

What's important is we all have our opinion and we're free to share it. I try to get along with everybody. I've been on this site since the beginning on another username from my job and then I left, I came back in I think 2007 and then left again... I came back with the introduction of the SDS 100 as I wanted to learn everything I could and RR is the place to do that.

The poster that you were referring to was the one that I had the nice conversation with last night about the history of research and development keeping the scanner companies alive in the face of many changes. From your attacks and insults he probably has not returned or is not reading this, check the notable members page and see where he stands next to you.

It's all good. The popularity is obviously in your direction due to the reactions you are getting but we're all equal members in this community.

There's a certain decorum that we have or should I say... We used to have, on RR. I will defer to the o p on this one as that's how it should be.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When things become outlawed, the activity just moves underground. This means that scanners won't have the present high customer base, but "components" (such as SDRs) will be in demand.

I find it ironic that there are now complaints from the government that people are using encryption to hide their illegal activities. It seems they'd like manufacturers to put in "back doors". If that happens, encryption will become somewhat useless (in many cases). But I'm thinking it will all take a direction that is not yet fully known.

columbas

Premium Subscriber
Every so often this same subject pops up and this has been like this for years and scanners are still here. If there were to not be a scanner hobby I am sure people would choose another hobby or perhaps find a way to find out what big brother is doing. I would not loose any sleep over this because the people that make scanners have just about priced themselves off the market anyway. Like the new Uniden scanners . By the time you get all the programs downloaded that they offer for the scanner not to mention buying the software to program it or pay them to do it for you the price would be over $1,000.00 dollars. I have been in this hobby for over 60 years and I tell you at this price they can keep the scanner . Trust me I have bought plenty of scanners just to keep up and have the best.

N4DJC

You've got me interested now. Maybe I'll check out the Icom forum. How does the HF perform as compared to a base station?

It’s not an 8600. It’s a portable, and has shortcomings. The telescoping antenna performs well for air, rail, and the SW BCB. It does not have a variable passband nor multiple filter selections for USB/LSB or CW. Some use external antennas with good results. It does offer a lot of spectrum coverage, superior build quality, and excellent battery life. It scans at 150 or 200 frequencies per second depending on VFO.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you have been scanning for 60 years, you'd know that scanners have actually gotten cheaper, when you consider inflation. The software is free, and surely you should be able to program your own scanner by now. Even you buy all of the optional mode keys, you're still not paying $1000.

Firekite

You can continue to empty a box of tissues or man up and get out of your comfort zone by picking up something like a Icom R30.
The R30, among other drawbacks, cant magically decrypted en emoted communications on the fly, either.

If the R30 offered DMR, it would be the perfect radio.
No P25 P2, no ProVoice :(

I'm probably just old school in this community and don't do well with rude know-it-all types.
Me, too. That’s why when people spout BS they should be shut down. So much ignorance around here regarding encryption. People say things like encryption probably won’t be broken because there’s not enough interest. Apparently they have no idea how many billions of dollars worth of extreme interest are constantly poured into defeating encryption. And that’s not including the private sector, black hats, black market, mathematicians, computer scientists, and white hats.

Encryption isn’t a hurdle to be overcome. It’s a dead end. You don’t defeat encrypted radio by hardware or software. You defeat it by lobbying your state representatives to ban state and local agencies from using it. Good luck with that!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, some people do not know how to have a pleasant, civil conversation no matter the topic and how much they want people to see how much they know about it. Childish and immature innuendos aside, I know enough about the human spirit and the marvel of mankind to know that absolutely nothing is impossible in our world.

"AES
-
- the block cipher - as far as we know hasn't been
broken
. It has not even been close to
broken
. On the other hand, we cannot prove that it is secure. That means that an algorithm that is able to
crack AES
may be found..."

Have fun with that, kiddo.

Last edited:

Firekite

Have fun with that, kiddo.
Have fun with SHA-384. It doesn’t matter. They cracked MD5 10+ years ago. They cracked even SHA1 a couple years back. Proving a negative is a silly fool’s errand, but it’s a moot point when you can just update to a different algorithm and set you back to square one. You not only don’t understand encryption, you don’t understand why your stance is immaterial when the practical application of the concept means any one algorithm is unimportant.

Call me rude if you want, but trying to sound like you know what you’re talking about and letting insecurity get the better of you to dig in even harder is far more rude, as far as I’m concerned, than someone calling your bluff—and that’s not counting the rudeness and incivility of your childish attempts to talk down to them when they do.

PS...

“An algorithm that would be secure even after a QC is built is said to have postquantum security or be quantum computer resistant (QCR). AES-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512 are believed to have postquantum security.”

Last edited:

themaoman

As part of the freedom of information act should be included to decryption of regular emergency radio communications, due to the fact we, the American tax payer pays for all the communications equipment which services our cities and communities. Encryption should only be used for specific undercover work. We, as American citizens deserve to be able to listen to what is happening around us. It's already illegal to use a scanner to commit a crime and that is as far as it should go. Only freedom to listen to the airwaves will keep the scanner market alive. Unfortunately, emergency radio communications is slated to go completely encrypted, which should not be allowed to happen. We should have the right to decrypt radio communications.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I strongly suggest that all of you back off statements that label others as rude, uncivil, childish, immature, know-it-all, ignorant, etc. Those are personal attacks and are not appreciated in these forums.

Attack the message, not the messenger.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Do they use symmetric or asymmetric encryption in the radio world? I would assume the latter if they wanted to be really secure.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Do they use symmetric or asymmetric encryption in the radio world? I would assume the latter if they wanted to be really secure.
Asymmetric encryption is only used for digital signatures and negotiating and encrypting session keys. It's not feasible to use for encrypting large amounts of data. Radio generally uses symmetric keys, so if the key is compromised, so are all transmissions until the radios are programmed with a new key.

But the key isn't accessible to the normal user, so getting it out of the radio isn't usually feasible. You'd have to get it from the people programming the radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.