Scantenna ST2 Vs. Disconne Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Getting back into hobby after a very long period.
Weak on antenna theory, but am trying to learn.
Have a new Uniden SDS200

In my attic I have a Scantenna ST2, and also an old Disconne.
I have hooked up and tried both, and both "work", sorta.

Tried to do a reasonably coherent experiment, but cannot really
come to any conclusion.

*Might someone please outline for me the pros and cons, freq. coverages, etc. for both ?

I am not particular, and like to listen "all over". But Aero is a particular favorite.

Which should I stick with, e.g. ?
Is one noticeably better than the other for...?
etc. ?

Thanks, appreciate the help,
Bob

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
All i can say from my years of scanning..I have tried them all and my opinion is nothing can beat an st-2 for public safety bands.

Does that hold true for the 700-800 MHz bands? Back when the ST-2 was all the rage I think the majority of monitoring was 155/450 MHz bands. Never recall reading any test or performance opinions when using it for higher frequencies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am not particular, and like to listen "all over". But Aero is a particular favorite.

For VHF/UHF airbands I recomend DPD Production's Omni UHF/VHF MilTenna. I use one and it performs very well. It's looks great and is built to last even in extreme weather conditions. As with any antenna for airbands it should be mounted up high if possible. That being said mine sits on a 9ft light stand in my office, yet I'm very satisified with how well it works! I pick up tons of private/commercial/military air traffic, including Selfridge Air National Guard Base. It should be noted the base is only about 10-12 miles line of sight from my home. You could even tell your antenna-senstive neighbors it's a new HD TV antenna and they wouldn't know the difference!

Wally46

Feed Provider
Does that hold true for the 700-800 MHz bands? Back when the ST-2 was all the rage I think the majority of monitoring was 155/450 MHz bands. Never recall reading any test or performance opinions when using it for higher frequencies.
I went from a discone to an st-2 and even the 800mhz comes in better. Both antennas at the same height.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I went from a discone to an st-2 and even the 800mhz comes in better. Both antennas at the same height.

That makes me wonder why no one has purchased the rights to start manufacturing the ST-2 again, or why was it discountined to begin with. It seems it still holds it place in being a great performing all round scanner radio antenna!

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
The only thing i can think of with this antenna and why they won't make it anymore..It may be a very high risk for electric shock and it could cause perhaps a high risk of liability..Not sure if they have to carry insurance.But i would just in case.anyone else care to chime in?..I am sure it would be very easy to get killed with one of these if your not super careful around power lines.A good friend of mine got both of his knee caps blown off installing a antron 99 cb antenna some years back.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Is the Scantenna ST2 the same design as the old Grove Scantenna? They look the same I believe.

I just mentioned this antenna in another thread, and the Grove was a great antenna albeit a bit flimsy and fragile. Mine basically disintegrated on the mast in a 2004 hurricane in Florida. I'd had it up for 8 years and it performed well. The 95-105mph gusts were just too much for it, I guess. I did like the design and it worked very well on the Pinellas County trunk system at the time. Below is a pic but it is kind of hard to make out,. on the mast to the right under the Diamond discone. My antennas at the Clearwater, FL house 2003.

JD
kf4anc

Attachments

• antennas2.JPG
    antennas2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 49

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Is the Scantenna ST2 the same design as the old Grove Scantenna? They look the same I believe.

I just mentioned this antenna in another thread, and the Grove was a great antenna albeit a bit flimsy and fragile. Mine basically disintegrated on the mast in a 2004 hurricane in Florida. I'd had it up for 8 years and it performed well. The 95-105mph gusts were just too much for it, I guess. I did like the design and it worked very well on the Pinellas County trunk system at the time. Below is a pic but it is kind of hard to make out,. on the mast to the right under the Diamond discone. My antennas at the Clearwater, FL house 2003.

JD
kf4anc
They were basically the same..i don't think the grove had them weird wings that fold out like on the st-2 but they are very close

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I do remember assembling the Grove Scantenna, and it did have fold outs on each side that snapped into brackets and flared out. I thought it was a weird design at the time, but I basically bought everything Bob Grove made and sold sight unseen haha.

prcguy

If your only interested in the public service bands the ST2 will work a little better. In general, the ST2 will work a little better wherever its got resonant elements. The Discone will give more consistent coverage from about VHF air through 500MHz and will outperform the ST2 in places like UHF mil air and frequencies where the ST2 is not resonant. Most anything will beat a Discone in the 700/800/900 bands due to the Discone radiation pattern shifting up off the horizon starting around 500Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.