American Electric Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Allen,

I would guess that no AEP P25 site is going to be "active" for qhite a while, not until at least a significant portion of the network is built out. There are sites that are online, but the only thing you might hear on them is some testing. The EDACS system is likely going to be used statewide until the whole P25 portion is built out. i could be wrong though.

There definitely is a site online in Canton, and you definitely can hear periodic comms on it. But everything I've ever heard has been testing / radio related and not utility related thus far.

mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't monitor AEP that often, but I have not heard anything off of Canton, New Philly or Boliver.

Not much to be heard but for testing. But there is definitely random chatter on all three of those and Wooster - TG 2701 the most used.

I'm just imagining in my mind if somebody south of me would fire up DSDPlus and then tune to every signal between 850-861 mhz :) -- one might end up finding more sites online that we don't know about. It's not about knowing frequencies but rather stopping on all signals and finding a new P25 control channel for AEP that isn't already documented. Wheeling is a WV hub, and it's quite possible that a site could be online there. Obviously there is no suggestion of anything SE of hear being online, just going by the neighbor list, but that doesn't mean that one or more sites down that way isn't online. My beam is fixed north towards Canton so I'm limited in picking up anything down that way.

Mike

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I run a scan just about every morning looking for new P25 channels. I have been looking Tuscarawas County to be online and new active AEP towers. I ran across a new active P25 channel but it turned out Minerva MARCS changed CC to alternate CC.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I run a scan just about every morning looking for new P25 channels. I have been looking Tuscarawas County to be online and new active AEP towers. I ran across a new active P25 channel but it turned out Minerva MARCS changed CC to alternate CC.

Rgr that. Minerva is weak sauce. Can't believe you pick that site up LOL.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Only when conditions/tropo are good do I decode Minerva.. Dave put that 800 Yagi up this summer and it does a nice job. I use it more than the 700 yagi so I can hear 800 voice traffic on 700 systems.

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
Did a search and found this for AEP. No peers of yet

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 24

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Good job man. That's going to be St Clairsville. No DSDPlus? If you have DSDPlus ya oughta use it. If it's advertising any peers that are isolated / not connected you'd see them. DSDPlus or Pro96Com. Anyway, nice find. I'm presuming you're down at home when you are checking this, right?

mike

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
Yep I am at home and I do have dsd but I need to get it working again on my lab top and will check in the morning

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Yep I am at home and I do have dsd but I need to get it working again on my lab top and will check in the morning

Rgr that. Great find though. If you're ever around Wheeling area, check there too - as well as out in Muskingum area. I'll make a list of suspected (not guaranteed) frequencies that one might find new sites online at various locations. That way you don't have to program tons of frequencies from tons of licenses. I'll get that to ya later today.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

also, see if you can get a NAC for that site. In UT I think you will find the NAC on a different page in UT. Not of major importance though, so don't sweat it if you can't find the NAC.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.