• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Base Receives 20 miles away but only Transmits 1 mile

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My Volt Meter says 11.98 volts are going to the radio and that's all I'm using the power supply for.
I'm going to test the radio out in my truck. It's the same one to see what the watts are for that one.

That's going to be a bit low and your radio might not be happy with that. Trying the truck is a good idea.

wqwx352

What is the type of coax used between the duplexes and the transmitter? I saw some tiny RG174 looking stuff in the video.

I have a RG8 from Radio to Duplexer LOW connection for TX.
I have LMR400 from Duplexer to Antenna.
I have RG316 from Baofeng Handheld to Duplexer HIGH connection for RX.

I have a small LMR400 1 ft cable too I can use from the Radio to the Duplexer but it's NOT bendable so I can't fish it out the box. I'd have to remove the radio to connect it. I might do that just to test the Power using that right now.

wqwx352

Geez, I just changed out the RG8 to the LMR400 from radio to meter and got much better results!

23.9 Watts

So that 2 ft RG8 cable sux but I used it because it was flexible. Hard to position the duplexer using these stiff LMR400 cables.

Attachments

• KIMG0598.JPG
    KIMG0598.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 14

wqwx352

Where there's a will there's a way! I moved the duplexer into the computer chassis!

Attachments

• KIMG0601.JPG
    KIMG0601.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 32
  • KIMG0604.JPG
    KIMG0604.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 32

wqwx352

Since the cable I was using is below par, what would you recommend me run in my Truck that is flexible enough to run?
I've been using just a RG8 with NMO connection and Tram Antenna but getting 60% reduction in power this entire time.
I'd like to replace that too because then I'm in business!!!
The goal was to reach Home Base from Work and School and it's been hit and miss because of several issues obviously with the loss of Power and Antennas I've been using.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Those photos of the radio and duplexer inside the computer will become legendary.

On UHF your radio output is 29.3 watts and it should be closer to 35 watts based on their claim for UHF frequencies. With that in mind I really do think the power supply may not be providing enough volts and amps to the radio. It could be the power supply itself, and or the small wires from the computer power supply not letting the power flow. (Probably the small wires)

I would say turn the radio down to "Mid" 1 at 19 watts, so that it is not starving for power. Mfg. claims 20 and you're getting 19 watts. It is probably still starving for volts/amps but it'll work at that setting and probably not get wonky. (Well, you should actually purchase a switching power supply like this one and use the wires that came with the radio to connect it.) Until then...Mid 1.

As for coaxial cable in your vehicle, measure the run and add a few feet to be sure. Really thin coax is RG316 and RG174, but they have very unfriendly losses even for short runs. There is also LMR240 and LMR240 UF (Ultra Flex). One has a solid core, the UF is stranded. I believe either is the same size as the RG8X, but offers improved performance. Others will probably chime in.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Just order the Larsen NMOKHFUD for your vehicle. That is fine for any mobile installation. You can get supper low loss NMO mounts but your not going to see a noticeable difference. I switched all my SAR member to the Larsen mount as it is sealed inside and does not have an open center pin on the bottom. It did help in some fringe areas, but more importantly I have not had to replace any since.

Chronic

If the computer in the case with the radio is actually running it can cause de-sense and noise issues on the radio. Also the computer can have issues when the radio transmits.

wqwx352

Ok Ya'll I was waiting for my new Antenna to come in and it's here. I'm going to install it this weekend but I just did a SWR and Watts test and it came back 35watts and 1.00 SWR connected straight to the radio but 25watts and 2.01 SWR connected to the duplexer.

I'll test it again up on the antenna mass but hopefully this antenna will work. It got rave reviews from other GMRS Repeaters. Best one I can find with dual frequencies that others said works great for GMRS too.

Attachments

• KIMG0908.JPG
    KIMG0908.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 29
  • KIMG0912.JPG
    KIMG0912.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 37
  • KIMG0913.JPG
    KIMG0913.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 37
  • KIMG0919.JPG
    KIMG0919.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 39
  • KIMG0925.JPG
    KIMG0925.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 38
  • KIMG0923.JPG
    KIMG0923.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 39
  • KIMG0907.JPG
    KIMG0907.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 33
  • KIMG0901.JPG
    KIMG0901.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 23

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Look at the photograph of the meter again. It reads 0.35 watts.

Your tests should be with the antenna mounted on the mast, with and without the duplexer inline.

Based on your previous radio wattage output numbers, the number with the duplexer inline seems weird unless you changed the power supply. I'm wondering if your meter is wonky, but it is probably due to your radio not getting enough current due to the small wires on the computer power supply.

Until you have a proper power supply and or cables running from it to the radio I recommend you turn it down to Mid2. Your radio is supposed to be at 10W at that setting and you previously identified that it was 11.4 watts. At that lower power setting, the small wires from the computer power supply appear to be providing enough current so that your result is close to what the Mfg. specs are for Mid2. Once your antenna is on the mast, do your testing at Mid2 with and without the duplexer. Let us know the numbers, both SWR and power reading from your meter.

Vinnie1224

Here are some photos of the setup I did but I have since raised it another 10ft and I'm running 50ft of LMR-400 Coax. I'm using Poles I found at Home Depot with different widths inserted into each other that are Galvanized and dug a hole and put about 3 ft into the ground.
Here are some photos of the setup I did but I have since raised it another 10ft and I'm running 50ft of LMR-400 Coax. I'm using Poles I found at Home Depot with different widths inserted into each other that are Galvanized and dug a hole and put about 3 ft into the ground.
Niceee... what I would do tho is put your mast poles up on your chimney if you can . The higher up the better

wqwx352

Look at the photograph of the meter again. It reads 0.35 watts.

Your tests should be with the antenna mounted on the mast, with and without the duplexer inline.

Based on your previous radio wattage output numbers, the number with the duplexer inline seems weird unless you changed the power supply. I'm wondering if your meter is wonky, but it is probably due to your radio not getting enough current due to the small wires on the computer power supply.

Until you have a proper power supply and or cables running from it to the radio I recommend you turn it down to Mid2. Your radio is supposed to be at 10W at that setting and you previously identified that it was 11.4 watts. At that lower power setting, the small wires from the computer power supply appear to be providing enough current so that your result is close to what the Mfg. specs are for Mid2. Once your antenna is on the mast, do your testing at Mid2 with and without the duplexer. Let us know the numbers, both SWR and power reading from your meter.

Oh Wow, I didn't catch that! It did say .35 watts. I'm going to install it this weekend and check it again. Thanks for the heads up! I'll turn the power down like you suggest if it's not going to get the max until I get a better power supply. I think your right!

wqwx352

New Antenna installed.
Here are the results from the roof.

Watts are lower then I want but I'll do a field test tomorrow while I'm at work over 30 Miles away and see if Base can reach me. I can reach base fine.

Attachments

• KIMG0935.JPG
    KIMG0935.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 19
  • KIMG0934.JPG
    KIMG0934.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 18
  • KIMG0933.JPG
    KIMG0933.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 16
  • KIMG0932.JPG
    KIMG0932.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 19
  • KIMG0929.JPG
    KIMG0929.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 20
  • KIMG0945.JPG
    KIMG0945.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 16

mancow

Database Admin
Quit dickin around with that computer and what not and do it right or don't at all.

Take everything out. Lay it out and connect it logically. Use a proper power supply. Have someone with a test set sweep the duplexer to make sure it's tuned correctly. Get some decent RG142 jumper cables with the proper connectors at a reasonable length.

Even with all that done it might not work due to using sub par components such as cheap chinese radios. I don't even know what the type acceptance issues are with all that chicom stuff but we'll forego that for now.

You could have got a couple of very inexpensive Moto mobiles and been done by now. Heck, a couple of dirt cheap Ebay Bendix King LPU portables and a small amp and you are in business with nice keypad programming and easy side connections for repeater/audio linking.

I get it, it's fun and all but you seem to actually want performance. If so, you will need to pay/work for it. It's not rocket surgery but if your equipment isn't going to comply with what you want to do all the effort in the world won't make a difference.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It appears that your duplexer has a loss of a little over 1dB on the 10W setting. That is normal for the flatpack duplexer you have.

I am doubtful you will hear the repeater 30 miles away at the 10 watt setting even with the improved antenna. The cost to raise the antenna higher is costly compared to a $120 switching power supply that would allow the radio to achieve the 35 watts maximum for the frequency you’re using. Still, 30 miles is far for a UHF repeater on flat ground. This has me wondering if your mobile or base location is much higher in elevation than the other location.

While I hope it works for you at 10 watts, your next purchase should be a switching power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.