Does Anyone Sell Scanners in the Philly Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Now that RadioShack has been done, are there any retail stores (besides Walmart) that sell scanners in or near Philadelphia?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I agree, I live in the Philly area and the only place I know to go is HRO in Delaware.

Years ago we used to have CB sales off of Roosevelt Boulevard that sold more scanners than they did CB. In Willow Grove we used to have Hamburgers run by Bob Burger a ham operator. There is White Dotte at Route 38 and 206 Vincentown, New Jersey but they are not worth the trip and I don't think they sell scanners anymore, they sell soft serve ice cream but still have a radio shop in the back LOL.

radio3353

This thread got me thinking of Trevose Electronics and "Ham" Buerger stores in the Philly suburbs. Anybody remember them? I was like a kid in a candy shop at those places in the late 60's and early 70's. I really miss them. Walls of new and used radio gear, antennas, cable, parts, tubes, crystals and accessories. Sorry if I went a bit off-topic :unsure:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I forgot about the Trevose store but I did mention hamburgers in Willow Grove run by Bob Burger. You know he used to be in Jenkintown but I'm showing my age.

It was like walking into a big candy shop.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
I well remember “Ham” Buergers (the original store on York Rd). I bought my Bearcat 300 from them new sometime around 1984. Also remember Trevose Electronics, CB Sales on Cottman, and Brandt’s Electronics (on Central Ave IIRC ?). Heck, I’m old enough to remember the Lafayette Electronics store in the shopping center at the end of RT 309 and Cheltenham Ave (near the old trolley loop). Used to get my crystals there for the local PD/FD. And of course, the Heathkit store on NE Philly (just off the Blvd, but can’t remember which street).

Sorry to get off topic from the request for local scanner retailers (none that I know of other than already mentioned), but the discussion of these old stores triggered some fond memories for me as well. Like many others, I drooled over radios I couldn’t afford.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I remember all those stores including the Lafayette store. I do remember when Bob Burger was on York Road before moving to Willow Grove. When he was in Jenkintown I bought a used Lafayette HE90 from him. I'm thinking maybe 66. I was 13 years old.

I wish we still had these candy stores today. I was most saddened by the loss of CB sales in the early 2000s.

k3hal

Premium Subscriber
This thread got me thinking of Trevose Electronics and "Ham" Buerger stores in the Philly suburbs. Anybody remember them? I was like a kid in a candy shop at those places in the late 60's and early 70's. I really miss them. Walls of new and used radio gear, antennas, cable, parts, tubes, crystals and accessories. Sorry if I went a bit off-topic :unsure:
yup! i remember Trevose. thats where all the employees wore a "sidearm"! very intimidating!

radio3353

Hmmm, I don't remember the 'crystal' lady wearing a sidearm. Nor the lady at the cash register. But, it was a long time ago so I may have forgotten. I do remember their tower in the parking lot across the street. Wonder if it is still there repurposed for something else.

Joe_Blough

Walmart and Home Depot but you have to order online and you get free delivery or free store pick up. Better yet you get a 90 day no hassle return window.

Status
Not open for further replies.