SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I used black electrical tape for over a month it even matched the color of the radio.

Also if you ever lose that silver metal clip that holds the SD card in the holder you need to send it in to Uniden. A technician needs to install it. I just borrowed one off my 436 till I sent it in for repair.

Paysonscanner

Wow! I was about to buy a SDS100 last week and was in check out. I went back into shopping to check if I needed any accessories and saw the battery charger. Yea, that looks like a nice battery charger. Then it hit me, my late husband and I always avoided most any device if it had proprietary batteries. We bought GRE scanners so we didn't have to buy our batteries from the manufacturer. No matter how old the scanner was, we could always replace the batteries. We also liked the software available for the GRE's.

I live in a small town in a rural area, so I don't think simulcasting is an issue. I'm considering the Whistler TX1. The trouble is I visit my brother's family 95 miles away in Phoenix. I've read the Whistler doesn't do very well there. The battery cases for AA's look the same as the GRE's and that's important to me. I use a Maha charger for large capacity batteries in other devices. I don't think I have room left on my desk for another battery charger. Why can't Uniden design a product that can use standard AA batteries? If so the OP probably would not have this problem.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The BCD436HP uses AAs. Its only drawback is it doesn't do simulcast well.

The SDS100 can't use AAs because it would run them down in a couple hours. A larger capacity battery is needed for the CPUs required to decode simulcast properly.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Phoenix uses simulcast, so the 436 won't work well there. Your only handheld scanner option there is the SDS100.

Paysonscanner

Phoenix uses simulcast, so the 436 won't work well there. Your only handheld scanner option there is the SDS100.

Thanks for the advice. For now I'm not buying anything. Someone told me about how lousy the software is for the TX1. It's not like the StarrSoft my husband and I used (& I still do) to program the PSR-500/600's. I would really like to buy the latest and greatest as you don't buy as many scanners over the years when you do that. It doesn't look like anything matches that description for now.

Paysonscanner

I was quite disappointed when I started reading the second page of this thread. Guys were painting a picture of women not being able to change the batteries on this radio correctly. Some guys need to realize there are some women on this site. I was a RN in a small hospital for 39 years and am quite capable of doing nearly anything, many things that would cause many of the men on this site to lose their lunches. I will refrain from providing additional details.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Former Army medic here, know exactly what you're talking about. Might be fun to share...:devilish:

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
Wow! I was about to buy a SDS100 last week and was in check out. I went back into shopping to check if I needed any accessories and saw the battery charger. Yea, that looks like a nice battery charger. Then it hit me, my late husband and I always avoided most any device if it had proprietary batteries. We bought GRE scanners so we didn't have to buy our batteries from the manufacturer. No matter how old the scanner was, we could always replace the batteries. We also liked the software available for the GRE's.

I live in a small town in a rural area, so I don't think simulcasting is an issue. I'm considering the Whistler TX1. The trouble is I visit my brother's family 95 miles away in Phoenix. I've read the Whistler doesn't do very well there. The battery cases for AA's look the same as the GRE's and that's important to me. I use a Maha charger for large capacity batteries in other devices. I don't think I have room left on my desk for another battery charger. Why can't Uniden design a product that can use standard AA batteries? If so the OP probably would not have this problem.
I have had the SDS100 for a few months. I do not like the fat battery on this radio. I do not have the extra battery charger. The radio comes with a USB cable and a charge adapter that plugs into the wall outlet. I usually keep it plugged in all the time. This will charge the battery. You can also remove the battery and use the radio just using the the adapter and the USB cable. I also have the TRX-1 and it uses AA batteries, regular or rechargeable. I use rechargeable batteries and the USB cable connected to my computer will charge the batteries or I will plug it into a USB adapter to charge them. Both radios can be used at the same time as you are charging them. I like the TRX-1 over the SDS100 because I think it scans a bit faster and sounds better. But I do hate the software for the TRX-1. The Uniden software is far better and easier to use then the TRX-1. I also like the SDS100 because it is easier to pick and choose you favorites lists (Cities, Counties) and services (Fire, Police, EMS etc.), for what you want to listen to. The TRX-1 can do the same but I find it not to be as easy as the TRX-1. The TRX-1 comes with DMR and NXDN. You have to pay extra on the Uniden. If they are not needed the SDS100 might be the best choice for you, but the TRX-1 is a bit cheaper and goes on sale sometimes where the Uniden does not. I bought my TRX-1 a few months ago when it was on sale from Whistler for 25% off. Maybe they will have another sale next month for Black Friday.

Paysonscanner

Former Army medic here, know exactly what you're talking about. Might be fun to share...:devilish:

The unique situations a small town, rural hospital had to handle, given we received a lot of patients from nearby national forests and national parks were extensive. Like most rural hospitals located in the mountains we had a "voodoo doll" that we stuck fishhooks in all the places we'd removed them on people's bodies. It was kept at the ER reception area so that people didn't think they were alone in their misfortune. I can't even estimate how many catheters I changed on hundreds (thousands?) of penises. Having done that I think I can change a radio battery. Given the chemistry courses I took in college I could probably understand the batteries contents fairly well too.

We had a few physicians that got their MD's via the military and had been with the Army or Navy in Vietnam. Nothing we had to do phased them at all. Rural vehicle accidents can be "challenging," but I can't imagine being in combat. I learned so much from those men. My abilities at year 1 were but a fraction of those in year 39. Now almost 3 years out of the loop I think I'm starting to smell vomit and poop again!

Paysonscanner

I have had the SDS100 for a few months. I do not like the fat battery on this radio. I do not have the extra battery charger. The radio comes with a USB cable and a charge adapter that plugs into the wall outlet. I usually keep it plugged in all the time. This will charge the battery. You can also remove the battery and use the radio just using the the adapter and the USB cable. I also have the TRX-1 and it uses AA batteries, regular or rechargeable. I use rechargeable batteries and the USB cable connected to my computer will charge the batteries or I will plug it into a USB adapter to charge them. Both radios can be used at the same time as you are charging them. I like the TRX-1 over the SDS100 because I think it scans a bit faster and sounds better. But I do hate the software for the TRX-1. The Uniden software is far better and easier to use then the TRX-1. I also like the SDS100 because it is easier to pick and choose you favorites lists (Cities, Counties) and services (Fire, Police, EMS etc.), for what you want to listen to. The TRX-1 can do the same but I find it not to be as easy as the TRX-1. The TRX-1 comes with DMR and NXDN. You have to pay extra on the Uniden. If they are not needed the SDS100 might be the best choice for you, but the TRX-1 is a bit cheaper and goes on sale sometimes where the Uniden does not. I bought my TRX-1 a few months ago when it was on sale from Whistler for 25% off. Maybe they will have another sale next month for Black Friday.

Thank you for this! I understand that you can't cut and paste more than one channel at a time with the TX1 software. I like things categorized, grouped and in order so this does not work for me. I might have the VFire and VMed frequencies in a file many times, as when I'm in a city and they announce they are switching to channel 8, I want to be able to scroll down from their channel 2 dispatch 6 times and follow the traffic, not put the radio back in scan to receive the once entered VFires and then have the scanner lock up on the PD running 10-28s etc. Whistler would have done well to contact Don Starr, who was in on the hardware/firmware design of the PSR-500/600 radios. This is why his software was so good, something to do with compatible logic, yada yada.

Late hubby bought a PRO-92 and used Starr's software on several models of GRE scanners since. He wrote files for friends for free if he already had the software and some had radios we didn't have, so he told them if they paid for the software he would write the files for free. Since it cost only $30-40 they were happy to pay. This was mostly for fellow volunteer FD members. My husband would take a VFD engine to mutual aid situations and clone everyone's King handhelds after getting a hold of the shift plan. That way our guys/gals weren't standing in line to get theirs done. Everyone on the department called hubby "sparky," even in town. Everyone in the emergency services has a nickname so this was his.

Most people bought GRE scanners cause they knew hubby could program those as we hadn't had a Uniden since our disappointing experience with one of their first digitals. Knobs kept breaking on them and customer service was rude. They insisted on having a home UPS/FedEx delivery address even though those guys could not get up our narrow road with not enough room at our house to turn around big panel trucks. UPS requested that our packages get delivered to the hospital or county offices, which worked for everyone else but Uniden. Hubby once asked for a Uniden supervisor who hung up on him because he tried to explain all this. Too bad because all we had from about 1980 to 2000 were Bearcats. Hubby did a tone and faster scan modification on the BC-760's we had and the one we had in our hospital's ER.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Before I bought my SDS100, I had the BCDx36HP's, one TRX-1 and two Unication G4's. Wasn't completely convinced of the results new SDS owners were getting. In the end, decided to stop complaining about present company, sold the 536 and bought the SDS100 with an extra high capacity battery. In 24 hours, I have to open the battery compartment at least once. I take care to follow the correct sequence when opening or closing the door and so far, it has yet to fail me.

So far no battery door failures and I get to enjoy listening to simulcast systems again.
Doesn't look like anyone will be making anything anytime soon to beat it, life's short, get one. ;)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I agree, I am more than satisfied with my SDS100. I have the TRX-1, too, as well as two SDS200s. As far as I am concerned, I think I have the best scanners on the market. The 100 does it all and looks good doing it. I use my TRX-1 for DMR systems and some vhf/uhf, the SDSs on my local Ohio MARCS Phase 1 digital P-25 Simulcast system, and it performs @ 100% at all times. Go for the SDS100! I don't think you'd be disappointed.

JD
kf4anc

Paysonscanner

I agree, I am more than satisfied with my SDS100. I have the TRX-1, too, as well as two SDS200s. As far as I am concerned, I think I have the best scanners on the market. The 100 does it all and looks good doing it. I use my TRX-1 for DMR systems and some vhf/uhf, the SDSs on my local Ohio MARCS Phase 1 digital P-25 Simulcast system, and it performs @ 100% at all times. Go for the SDS100! I don't think you'd be disappointed.

JD
kf4anc

Thank you!! I'm starting to think of buying the TRX-1, or at least I'm leaning that way. Dad loves to listen to the "cops in the valley" as he calls it when the mood strikes him. Why Whistler has such, as some others have said, lousy software to go with it doesn't make sense. I've been hoping they will come out with their version of the SDS100. The way things look we might not see another new scanner from them at all. Someone else helped me find that the Maricopa Sheriff has a radio on Mt. Ord. Most things on Mt. Ord boom into our location. We can't hear any other repeaters on the system, which is a new Phase 2. My dad told me to do something about getting the cops in the valley again and if I can buy a new one it will make him happy.

Paysonscanner

The Whistler won't work receiving the simulcast systems.

It won't work even if I can only receive one site? Mt. Ord is a large and high mountain that dominates the view from some parts of the Phoenix area. Due to other mountains around Payson, Arizona we won't be able to hear any other sites. If the other sites can't be received at all, won't the simicast issue be non-relevant? I've been reading some old posts where people seemed to be successful with older scanners when they used a beam antenna aimed at certain sites or aimed away from any site. We sorta have a beam antenna situation with one site receivable and the others not at all. You tell me here I'm far from being an expert on this stuff.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Simulcast uses multiple transmitters in each site (actually multiple broadcast sites all transmitting on the same frequency, grouped into a single logical entity). The only scanner models capable of extracting usable audio from such a mix of signals consistently are the SDS100 and SDS200.

Paysonscanner

Simulcast uses multiple transmitters in each site (actually multiple broadcast sites all transmitting on the same frequency, grouped into a single logical entity). The only scanner models capable of extracting usable audio from such a mix of signals consistently are the SDS100 and SDS200.

Thank you for that information. I still don't understand why one site would have many transmitters TXing on the same frequency. Sounds like I need to read up on Phase 2 systems. I think the subject I need to look up is "TDMA" or some such.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It makes it easier to fill in holes in coverage--you can add an additional transmitter to cover a dead spot without having to coordinate and license an additional set of frequencies.

Simulcast is not specific to P25, or even digital. Any transmission type can be simulcast.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that information. I still don't understand why one site would have many transmitters TXing on the same frequency. Sounds like I need to read up on Phase 2 systems. I think the subject I need to look up is "TDMA" or some such.

On the DB page for the system you are after, click on the Site Name of the site you think you can receive.
Then on that page, click the FCC callsign. That should open a page with a map with numbered pincushions that show the near exact locations of the transmitters for the site.
If you would only get signal from just One of those transmitter sites, the TRX-1 may work but chances are that you will get signals from two or more transmit towers for your site which is what causes the timing problems for most scanners.
You usually have a better chance if you live outside of the intended coverage area for a simulcast site as that will sometimes have a better chance in you only getting a signal from one tower in the sites mix.

If you do try a TRX-1 or 2, buy it from a place with a good return policy if it does not work. For some users, they work well but it all depends on your location in relation to the towers for a given site and if you can capture the signal from just one transmit tower in that site.
The design of the SDS models from Uniden almost guarantee they will work as long as you have a useable signal strength.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Just an FYI, before the SDS scanners were released I attempted to track the simulcast system in my area using 3 digital scanners - the BCD536HP, Whistler WS-1065, and the TRX-1, and the Whistler TRX-1 was the WORST of them all. The best was the 536, the 1065 a close second. Working in tandem, I probably heard more than some but it wasn't until after I got the SDS100 that I realized just how much I was missing. The SDS100 is the only way to go with a portable scanner and a simulcast system.

Status
Not open for further replies.