• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 5000 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a XTS 5000 VHF with Flash Code 5A9088-101D87-2 and Firmware R20.50.09. Does anyone know if there is a way to add more than 15 channels to a scan list and why certain menu selections won't show up on my radio even after I've selected them in the CPS under display & menu settings. Thank you for any help.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I heard there was a way through hex editing, I don't believe that was for the ASTRO 25 CPS but I'm unsure. It'd be worth a quick search anyway. As far as the menu items not showing up, I've had that happen before and I simply rewrote the codeplug and they popped up. But I would assume you've tried that already.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I heard there was a way through hex editing, I don't believe that was for the ASTRO 25 CPS but I'm unsure. It'd be worth a quick search anyway. As far as the menu items not showing up, I've had that happen before and I simply rewrote the codeplug and they popped up. But I would assume you've tried that already.

Thanks. I've updated and rewrote the codeplug many times. The main menu function that I wish I could get to show up is prog, for the scan list edit feature. I have it selected in the CPS but it won't show up in the radio.

What exactly do you mean by hex editing? I'm talking about conventional not trunking.

Thank you again.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Thanks. I've updated and rewrote the codeplug many times. The main menu function that I wish I could get to show up is prog, for the scan list edit feature. I have it selected in the CPS but it won't show up in the radio.

What exactly do you mean by hex editing? I'm talking about conventional not trunking.

Thank you again.

The personality of the channel you are sitting on needs to have scan enabled for "Prog" to show up.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Nope. Scan is 15 +1 (1 being channel you're parked on). Trunking I forget how many talk groups you can but I believe it is the same or less. Just the way the astro line was.

APX I believe it's 30 or so scan members conventional or give couple.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
You can hex edit a program to alter how it works and change the limitations of certain things. Some people have done hex editing to change the frequency range of a radio to match the ham band so commercial radios can work on ham. I've never done that myself but I've heard it's been done. I've heard you can also hex edit the scanlist to change the maximum amount of channels able to be scanned. That's where I was going with this.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
The hex edit mentioned is to make the xts scan more than 10 talkgroups in trunking scanning. It expands it to 15. The 15 limit on conventional is all you will get.

Kenwoods are known to be able to scan a larger group of channels.

snoopyII

Just a FYI (sorry to be a bearer of bad news) - whoever whore'd your radio didn't know what he was doing. On XTS series, you can't have Astro25 Trunking and FPP in the same radio with that new firmware. It's either one or the other. There are internal conflicts going on. This may or may not pertain to your current problem.

APX7500X2

Scan is enabled on all if my channels and it still doesn't show up.
Assign the scan button to a side button...then just hold it down for 2 seconds and it will put you into scan program. the PROG menu iten isn't for a scan list

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Assign the scan button to a side button...then just hold it down for 2 seconds and it will put you into scan program. the PROG menu iten isn't for a scan list

I’ve also tried that as well. It does bring that up but it would not allow me to edit the scan list.

Then what is PROG for? It was my understanding that it edits your scan list.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Just a FYI (sorry to be a bearer of bad news) - whoever whore'd your radio didn't know what he was doing. On XTS series, you can't have Astro25 Trunking and FPP in the same radio with that new firmware. It's either one or the other. There are internal conflicts going on. This may or may not pertain to your current problem.

Thank you for letting me know about that. Is there a way that I can fix that problem?

APX7500X2

I’ve also tried that as well. It does bring that up but it would not allow me to edit the scan list.

Then what is PROG for? It was my understanding that it edits your scan list.
Did you make sure user programmable scan is turned on. Under scan list-Non-Priority members needs to be set to Operator select...

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Did you make sure user programmable scan is turned on. Under scan list-Non-Priority members needs to be set to Operator select...

Where do you turn user programmable scan on at? I have scan list, a button set for scan on / off, and each personality set to the right can list. What more can I do?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for letting me know about that. Is there a way that I can fix that problem?
Not really unless someone were to flash it back to one or the other.. That takes software that is not to be spoken of.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Simple answer: No. Not even with a hex edit. Unless you've got the mad skillz required to write custom firmware for the XTS that supports larger scan lists, and create a custom CPS to match.

If big scan lists are your thing, your options are (A) SCANNER, (B) HARRIS RADIO, and (C) APX.

Status
Not open for further replies.