• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Connecting accessories to a CM200

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc_hubbs

I have made a couple post before, but I figured this new one would help other people as well who have this same question.

I now understand how DTMF works and how to program the radio for this. I understand that the CM200 can encode DTFM but is unable to decode.

How would I go about connecting a button to the CM200 to trigger the encoding of the DTMF signal ?

Would it be between Pin 3 (Ext Mic PTT), and Pin 7 (Ground) ? Or would I need to use Pin 8 (Input or Output) ?

kc_hubbs

I don't believe that is possible with the CM200 radios.

Hopefully someone can reply who knows how it should be connected and programmed.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Why a separate button? Why not just program one of the front panel buttons to send the tones?

The OP's use is an industrial mining operation IIRC. The encoder is being used as a remote emergency stop for a conveyor belt. My assumption initially was the radio was tucked away in a NEMA enclosure with an external "Big Red Button" on an HMI panel such with some mine fire suppression systems I've worked on in the past.

@kc_hubbs I'm installing the CPS on my laptop right now to pull up a codeplug I had configured for select-call to see if it can do what you are wanting.

kc_hubbs

The encoder radio is inside of a dozer, and has a plastic box mounted to the side of it with a key switch, and a momentary push button. Not sure what the keyswitch is for, possibly just a another step to prevent accidental pushing of the stop button.

I wanted to bypass the encoder in these radios to simplify the set up of future radios. I wanted to just have a simple push button i could hit to send the DTMF signal.

The poster above mentioned using the front buttons on the radio, however Im not sure the Cm200 allows this. I have looked at the list of available commands for the buttons, and nothing alludes to it being able to accomplish this..

I just wanted to know the simplest way to connect a push button to the accessory connector to allow this. I was thinking it should be connected across the EXT PTT and the Ground pin. Just wanted someone to verify that, or correct me.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Here's what I found out. The CM300 and PM400 models will DECODE DTMF but require an option board to be installed. The CM200 will not decode at all. Probably easier to use an external decoder that hunt down an option board.

To ENCODE DTMF from the front buttons you will need a display radio (CM300 or PM400) and create a call list for DTMF.

The only thing the CM200 will encode is ANI (automatic number identification) with DTMF. This is what you are leaning to anyway. ANI will send a DTMF string every time the PTT is pressed. It will send ANI at the beginning, end, or both, of the transmission. So yes, a quick press of a momentary switch across the PTT line will send this DTMF sequence.This can be done with pins 3 and 7 of the accessory connector.

ANI is configured in Signalling>DTMF Systems. You would then enable it in the personalities section.

N5XPM

Here's what I found out. The CM300 and PM400 models will DECODE DTMF but require an option board to be installed. The CM200 will not decode at all. Probably easier to use an external decoder that hunt down an option board.

To ENCODE DTMF from the front buttons you will need a display radio (CM300 or PM400) and create a call list for DTMF.

The only thing the CM200 will encode is ANI (automatic number identification) with DTMF. This is what you are leaning to anyway. ANI will send a DTMF string every time the PTT is pressed. It will send ANI at the beginning, end, or both, of the transmission. So yes, a quick press of a momentary switch across the PTT line will send this DTMF sequence.This can be done with pins 3 and 7 of the accessory connector.

ANI is configured in Signalling>DTMF Systems. You would then enable it in the personalities section.

The way I achieved this in the past on CDM 1250s was to program one channel for normal operation and another channel with DTMF ANI to send the DTMF tones. You can use the radio for normal operation on the regular channel, then change the channel to the one programmed with the DTMF ANI when you want to trigger something to happen on the DTMF decode end. Just push the PTT on the mic and the DTMF tones are sent, triggering a response elsewhere Simple and easy to train the user to utilize.where

Project25_MASTR

The way I achieved this in the past on CDM 1250s was to program one channel for normal operation and another channel with DTMF ANI to send the DTMF tones. You can use the radio for normal operation on the regular channel, then change the channel to the one programmed with the DTMF ANI when you want to trigger something to happen on the DTMF decode end. Just push the PTT on the mic and the DTMF tones are sent, triggering a response elsewhere Simple and easy to train the user to utilize.where
There is a mine there in Marble Falls that used to have a similar setup once upon a time...until it was pulled apart for an IP Site Connect system.

Anyway, I was unable to find a good codeplug for a CM/PM series radio in my archive (most of the last year I've worked explicitly on d version). Those don't encode/decode DTMF either. @kc_hubbs what would it take to convert to QCII or even MDC1200? Secondly, is the dozer operator using this radio for comms or is it only for remote signalling?

kc_hubbs

Thanks for that information. Knowing what pins to connect it to will make everything so much easier on my part. I now just have to find some small boxes that can be attached to the radio, hopefully by the 4 threaded holes on the bottom.

kc_hubbs

There is a mine there in Marble Falls that used to have a similar setup once upon a time...until it was pulled apart for an IP Site Connect system.

Anyway, I was unable to find a good codeplug for a CM/PM series radio in my archive (most of the last year I've worked explicitly on d version). Those don't encode/decode DTMF either. @kc_hubbs what would it take to convert to QCII or even MDC1200? Secondly, is the dozer operator using this radio for comms or is it only for remote signalling?

Im lost on what it would take to switch over to QCii, or MDC1200 since I am not familiar with this part of radios at all. I know the CM200 list both of those in the TX side though, so im assuming it should be able to decode these signals. Im just not sure how to implement this.

Right now the decoder radio is a CM200 with an external decoder. There are only 2 CM200's in use for encoders (using external encoders). I would love to be able to ditch all the external encoders/decoders to simplify this set up. Also, it would allow me to implement this at our other facilities as well.

The dozers actually each have 2 CM200's. One for communication and the other for this e-stop system. Im guessing the reason why is that the communication radio is VHF, and the E-Stop is in the UHF.

Project25_MASTR

No offense, you inherited a mess seeing your signalling and comms setups utilize two different bands through two different radios.

Anyway, setting up the CM/PM for MDC or QCII encode is pretty simple (QCII is the simplest in my opinion). First you define the call patterns/IDs in your signalling system menu. On the channel personality of the RX radio, you set the receive systems to the singalling decode format you wish to use. Make sure you set mute to AND for that particular personality so it only unmutes on a valid tone. You can essentially do the same thing on the TX side if you want that personality on (say the dozer) to just send that code and nothing else (use EXT PTT wired through the switch). Takes a little bit of fiddling around for the fine details but that's the basic gist of it. I think you may have to use the call alert feature on a MDC system to unmute a RX radio but I just haven't played with it enough.

kc_hubbs

No offense taken at all. I have inherited a lot of messes left behind. Pretty much thats my job right now...Im trying to tackle PLC's messes, Electrical messes, IT issues, and whatever else I can.

I cant thank you enough for that explanation. This has helped me out greatly. For the time being Ill try just setting the CM200's to encode the DTMF signal, and when I have time to take the system down, Ill try to switch it all over to QCii.

Does Motorola have a in depth manual for their CPS ? The help manuals built in arent too helpful for a beginner.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The problem here is the CM200 does not encode QCII. Your only option is to use ANI on a transmission. This would limit you to either DTMF or MDC1200. I would stick with DTMF as MDC is a little more difficult to set up.

You can use QCII if you have a CM300 or a PM400 but would require button pushes on the front panel (at least two) to send out a page string.

Stick with DTMF and work this out. With only a single number string to emergency stop the line, this should be easy peasy.

kc_hubbs

ramal121, you are correct. I must have missed this, the CM200 only encodes DTMF and MDC. However, it can decode QCii as well as MDC.

Ill just stick with the DTMF for now.

Would anyone be able to recommend a radio that can decode DTMF signals ? I may try to purchase some caple radios to simplify future installments.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Im also still a little lost on the "active level" setting, and the debounce check box.

Active level is which way an I/O goes when it is considered activated. For example, the PTT line needs to be grounded and brought to 0 volts to transmit. This is an active low signal. If you apply 5 volts to a pin to make something happen this is active high.

Debounce is the amount of time needed for an input to be active before it is acted upon. Used like if you have flaky switch contacts, prevents multiple inputs while you press down the button. Time is programmable.

Status
Not open for further replies.