• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BK KNG RELM-P800

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookmaster

in a few Months i plan on buying a new or used KNG-2 RELM P800 Radio to used on a local Phase-2 system,anybody knowns a good place to buy one new or used,i have already looked at E-bay there is one on there however the person is in China and i am not sending any money thier, i am looking for someone here in Arizona hopefully!

cookmaster

yes it will receive without affiliating to the system you are listening to, in the software their is a place to check to NO affiliation, here on Radio Reference there is Several threads on here talking about it!

cpetraglia

in a few Months i plan on buying a new or used KNG-2 RELM P800 Radio to used on a local Phase-2 system,anybody knowns a good place to buy one new or used,i have already looked at E-bay there is one on there however the person is in China and i am not sending any money thier, i am looking for someone here in Arizona hopefully!
I bought one from the same person in China. He was quick and the radio worked well. You have to make sure it has the P25 and PII options loaded. Mine did. I used Pay Pal credit to make the purchase. That way you have the backing of Pay Pal and you can make payments instead of forking over the whole thing at once. I've had mine for two years with no problems.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Will that model receive P25 PII without affiliating to the system?

Yes. Unlike Motorola radios, the KNG radios can be programmed to do true RX Only operation, without affiliating, and without needing to hack system keys or steal software, and without needing to always be scanning off a conventional channel. They can be turned into a true receive-only trunking scanner with factory support. And the factory is happy to sell you the software for a reasonable price, without playing games.

I have two KNG-P800s. I have used them on the PCWIN system. They work and sound great. They sound much better than my Unication G5 receiver or my Uniden SDS100 scanner, although the latter two sound better than any P25 scanner I've used before them so they are all good options. But if I could only have one receiver, it would be a KNG-P800.

Paysonscanner

Yes. Unlike Motorola radios, the KNG radios can be programmed to do true RX Only operation, without affiliating, and without needing to hack system keys or steal software, and without needing to always be scanning off a conventional channel. They can be turned into a true receive-only trunking scanner with factory support. And the factory is happy to sell you the software for a reasonable price, without playing games.

I have two KNG-P800s. I have used them on the PCWIN system. They work and sound great. They sound much better than my Unication G5 receiver or my Uniden SDS100 scanner, although the latter two sound better than any P25 scanner I've used before them so they are all good options. But if I could only have one receiver, it would be a KNG-P800.

Do they work well on P25 Phase II simulcasting? What is the price range? I will have to look into the battery options as I want something that will run off AA batteries using a similar holder (orange) late hubby Bendix-King hubby had. Rechargeable batteries won't produce the same voltage, but I would only use it for receiving and that might be OK. I would like a quality radio that doesn't use propriatal batteries to pick up the new Maricopa County system from the simulcast on Mt Ord in Payson, but down in the valley when I visit others in my family.

KB7MIB

$2,713 new.

Used, they're still twice the cost of an Uniden SDS-100. At least that's what I'm seeing when I did a quick search.

Just get the SDS-100 for $649.99 from Scannermaster, with free shipping and no sales tax.

John
Peoria

DanRollman

Database Admin
Do they work well on P25 Phase II simulcasting? What is the price range?

These are not consumer-grade scanners. These are public safety radios that happen to have a feature that allows them to function as a RX-only scanner. They don't work "well" on P25 Phase II simulcasting, they work perfectly on that. They are used by cops and firefighters. These are a serious investment, for a serious radio.

DanRollman

Database Admin
$2,713 new. Used, they're still twice the cost of an Uniden SDS-100. At least that's what I'm seeing when I did a quick search.

I got mine new for under $2K each. But yes, as I said, these are a serious investment for a serious radio. These do not compare well to consumer grade scanner toys when cost is factored in. These are public safety grade radios, and they sound like it.

Just get the SDS-100 for $649.99 from Scannermaster, with free shipping and no sales tax.

If cost is a bigger factor than performance, I totally agree (although the Unication G4 and G5 receivers work quite a bit better on P25 Phase II simulcast than even an SDS100, for not a lot more money). If you know cookmaster, however, you know he is a serious scanner listener who has already owned many different consumer grade scanner toys. That he is looking into a KNG radio suggests he is ready to step up.

I personally used only consumer grade scanners for 30+ years. I sort of gave up on the hobby 5 or 7 years ago given how miserable it can be trying to monitor a simulcast P25 system on consumer grade scanners. I witnessed the KNG in action at IWCE 3 years ago and knew I had to have one. After the struggles with simulcast performance, I was ready to make a serious investment for a radio that just worked really well, all the time, everywhere. I ended up buying two. If I had it to do over again, I would pay twice as much if I had to. I recognize not everyone can afford it, and it depends a lot on how deep into this 'hobby' you are anyway. But I personally would gladly drive a cheaper car, or keep my car several years longer, just to afford these radios. I own two KNG P800 radios, a Uniden SDS100, and a Unication G5, so I have a pretty good base from which to make these comparisons. At least on 700 MHz P25 simulcast trunked systems, my KNG blows away my G5, my G5 blows away my SDS100, and my SDS100 blows away every other P25 scanner I've ever owned. That's the ranking right there. I like all 3 of them. But my KNG is the one I'd make significant concessions in other areas of my budget to buy again if I had to.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'd be afraid that I bought a really expensive radio that would become a paperweight if the department(s) near me transitioned to "scrambled" communication.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I'd be afraid that I bought a really expensive radio that would become a paperweight if the department(s) near me transitioned to "scrambled" communication.

Fair concern, but remember eBay is a pretty efficient pricing marketplace. So devices like these ought to resell for about what you pay for them, absent the technology itself becoming stale. And the professional grade technology takes a lot longer to get stale than the consumer grade stuff.

KB7MIB

If you know cookmaster, however, you know he is a serious scanner listener who has already owned many different consumer grade scanner toys. That he is looking into a KNG radio suggests he is ready to step up.

I was actually replying to Paysonscanner, not cookmaster. I guess I should have quoted her comment.

John
Peoria

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Do they work well on P25 Phase II simulcasting? What is the price range? I will have to look into the battery options as I want something that will run off AA batteries using a similar holder (orange) late hubby Bendix-King hubby had. Rechargeable batteries won't produce the same voltage, but I would only use it for receiving and that might be OK. I would like a quality radio that doesn't use propriatal batteries to pick up the new Maricopa County system from the simulcast on Mt Ord in Payson, but down in the valley when I visit others in my family.

Yes they do. I recommend them or a g5 over a Motorola for most ham or advanced scanner users so they don't run into trouble over the whole moto issues of non affiliate.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber

A gamble one must be willing to take as it can be clear for x time then all of a sudden changed.

I know several coughing up for Motorola apx7000s, 6000s and few who were able to get a apx8000 for New Mexicos new 700 but I've warned them in due time once fully built anything state law end will without a doubt be fully strapped.

Paysonscanner

$2,713 new.

Used, they're still twice the cost of an Uniden SDS-100. At least that's what I'm seeing when I did a quick search.

John
Peoria

Thanks John. I'm not going to buy the SDS-100. I've laid out the reasons for that on other threads. The biggest reason is the battery, I've discussed that enough and won't do it again. My late hubby found a BK brick that was narrowband capable for a real low price from a dealer in California, when we were living there. This was 10 years ago I think. The dealer had a soft spot for volunteer firefighters, a connection I don't have. I'm going to wait for awhile.

KB7MIB

I forgot about your dislike for proprietary batteries. The BK has a AA battery pack available, but I think that is an option that will add to the already high cost for a professional grade radio. (It may be an included accesory.)

The Unication G4/G5 pager has a Lithium-Ion battery pack, that is charged via a micro USB, or an optional desktop charger. I don't know if there is a AA option. Battery life is reported to be up to 24 hours with a "quiet" system, and 14-16 hours with busier systems, in the FAQ page for the pagers.

Spare proprietary battery packs are available for the SDS, and probably for the G4/G5. If you're car camping, the USB charging cable for either can be plugged into the cigarette lighter or DC power outlet in your vehicle to keep the pack charged, at least when the radio isn't being listened to. These won't be any heavier than carrying extra AA batteries.

I know you don't like proprietary packs, but if you really want to be able to listen to MCSO, if it is that important, you may need to reconsider. But it's your choice.

John
Peoria

Paysonscanner

Thank you John! The high price of the latest King radio is 6 times what my late husband paid for his narrowband, digital King. I think the dealer gave the radio to my husband at cost or just a little more than cost. It was used, but in really good shape. Hubby bought the programming software, which the fire district did not have. He ended up programming a bunch of fire department handhelds in the area. He asked each department to contribute some $$'s for his cost for the software. Most of his (our) cost was eventually paid after he programmed enough radios. After that he programmed most for free. He did charge for some substantial reprogramming, but not enough in my opinion. He was cheaper than the radio techs!

These 700/800 trunked digital Phase 2 radios are not going to hit the used radio market very soon and not enough to lower the price much. It is not a high priority to me to be able to listen to Maricopa County like we used to do. My daddy keeps bugging me about it, but I've now explained the difficulties of doing so. He hasn't bugged me lately. We are all on fixed incomes and $2700 is way out of our league.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Anyone deal with ameradio.com? Good pricing on the BK.

I haven't had any dealings with that outfit.

Don't forget though, that the radio itself comes very basic. At a minimum, to do what is being described in this thread, you'll need to at least add option KZA0579 (P25 9600 baud trunking; $660 list price) and KZA0593 (TDMA aka Phase II; $250 list price). The KNG radios that occasionally pop up on eBay for a good price typically have at least these options. Just something to be careful of especially if ordering new through a dealer.

cpetraglia

This is why I mentioned before to use Pay Pal credit and purchase the one from ebay. I got mine for $1500.00 and it has been fine. It was flashed with P25 and Phase II. Pay Pal backs up your purchase. You can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.