• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DCS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharvey2

That doesn't make a lot of sense. DCS usually refers to "Digital Coded Squelch" a digital analog (well, that sounds ridiculous doesn't it?) to the PL tone. I think that MURS only allows for analog emissions. Not sure where "digital" fits in but maybe the FCC has changed rules regarding MURS. Or more likely, they're just being ignored.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
So in column 4 and 5 you can set a CTCSS or DCS tone, but in column 10 that I pointed to there is an additional option for DCS encryption. It is that option I'm confused about. I've never seen such a thing or even heard of it before. I don't think it's for voice encryption since it says DCS encryption. Or am I wrong? I don't recall seeing these radios on eBay advertised as having voice encryption and I don't even think that's allowed on MURS.

I searched on the Internet high and low for any information about encrypted DCS, but found nothing. If it really is encrypted DCS, I wonder if it's actually an XOR of the DCS tone or something.

Thanks for the help thus far. I'm really interested in what this is. The radios should be here today and I'll run some tests and see what my scanner records with a DCS squelch on and then using the so-called encryption option.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Its probably a mistranslation of DCS inversion, in which all the bits are flipped.

poltergeisty

Banned
Its probably a mistranslation of DCS inversion, in which all the bits are flipped.

I thought that too, but the invert DCS codes are there in columns 4 and 5.

I got the radios yesterday, but the programming cable I have is RS232 and I don't have a serial port on my commuter. Though, I do have a serial port PCI-e card, but I'm not pulling my PC apart to add it. Major PITA. I think I do have a USB cable though. Not sure. If not I'll order one. Then I can see what this option really is.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Baseband processor for many of these CHICOm radios has an inversion scrambler built in. It has three bits to select the carrier frequency of the balanced modulator, if the selections are limited to only 8 values then it may be settings for inversion scrambling.

bharvey2

Baseband processor for many of these CHICOm radios has an inversion scrambler built in. It has three bits to select the carrier frequency of the balanced modulator, if the selections are limited to only 8 values then it may be settings for inversion scrambling.

Inversion style "encryption" is what I suspect it is too.

bharvey2

I think the "I" after the number (e.g. D023I) refers to inverted which is alluded to in the posts above. My guess is the DCS Encrypt refers to some form of encryption, most likely voice inversion scrambling. As I recall, it has a distinct sound. You could probably Google it for an example.

bharvey2

Yeah, I know what it sounds like and have a program to decode it. I don't know why they call it DCS encrypt though.

My guess is that it's just a matter of poor translation or the programmers having insufficient knowledge of how the radios work.

nd5y

Did you do something simple like program the same frequency in two channels and set one with DCS Encrypt ON and the other with it OFF and then listen to both on another radio or scanner and see if there is any difference?

poltergeisty

Banned
Well, got the cable today, installed what I think is the correct USB driver and nothing. Radio won't identify on the computer. So I can't see what this option is until I can get the radio to ID on my computer. So I'll be creating a thread on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.