No longer receiving SDSO on my BCD436

Status
Not open for further replies.

getwyred

I am no longer receiving SDSO on my BCD436 and wondered if there was anything I can do. I have updated the frequencies and added nexgen to my sentinel software but have not had any luck.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
SDSO is only on the nextgen RCS. Did you manually program the NextGen system or pull it in from the Uniden database?

getwyred

I uploaded it from the sentinel software that came with my scanner which does have the nextgen RCS system

getwyred

Every Monday, I run the update and upload it. I ran it again last night and was able to get some SDSO chatter but it wasn't clear kind of broken up digitally if that is the right description. I help out with our local brush fire party line group on facebook and was hoping to get it going again.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I looked up NextGen, and it has several simulcast sites. The only scanner models that consistently receive simulcast well are the SDS100 and SDS200. Everything else is hit or miss. What you're describing is textbook simulcast decode trouble.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Every Monday, I run the update and upload it. I ran it again last night and was able to get some SDSO chatter but it wasn't clear kind of broken up digitally if that is the right description. I help out with our local brush fire party line group on facebook and was hoping to get it going again.

You might be getting broken up digital signals because you are locked onto a distant site, instead of the one for your area. On the 436 you can press and hold the department/site button until it goes into site lock mode, then you can scroll through the sites until you get to the one nearest you. The names are relatively descriptive of the area they service. There is another issue the 436 has when it comes to trying to receive simulcast sites where the signal coming from 2 different sites is not perfectly in phase and the scanner gets a little confused, basically, trying to decode. Try moving the scanner around to find the clearest spot -- that usually help.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is another issue the 436 has when it comes to trying to receive simulcast sites where the signal coming from 2 different sites is not perfectly in phase and the scanner gets a little confused, basically, trying to decode. Try moving the scanner around to find the clearest spot -- that usually help.
That issue isn't unique to the 436, it's a problem with every digital scanner model ever made except for the SDS models, which are designed specifically to handle simulcast and multipath reception.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
That issue isn't unique to the 436, it's a problem with every digital scanner model ever made except for the SDS models, which are designed specifically to handle simulcast and multipath reception.

You are correct, the problem is not only with the 436, I have a TRX2, 536, 325P2 and all have issues with either simulcast or being desensitized by nearby cel sites. I was only making reference to the 436 because Getwyred had stated the problem was with his 436.

getwyred

Appreciate the help guys, Guess I will start saving for an upgrade. I was also told SDSO was going encrypted is that not the case.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
All digital scanners have trouble with simulcast, including the SDS100 and 200. And I speak from experience, because I’m using an SDS-200, TRX-2, and a BCD536HP. I’ve said it in other threads, what matters more than the scanner is the antenna. Using a Yagi pointed at the nearest site will clean up the signal and can eliminate simulcast distortion. I’m able to get 0 error rate on NextGen on all of my digital scanners with precise (trial and error until you hit the sweet spot) pointing. Before you drop cash on an SDS hoping it will solve your problems, try a Yagi, even a cheap one. You’ll be surprised how well it can work.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have you tried comparing the performance of the SDS200 and 536HP while mobile in a simulcast area?

getwyred

Which yagi antennas are recommended for scanners, I have one for my cell phone booster but sure it is not the correct frequency range.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're having reception problems with a SDS, the problem isn't simulcast.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
If you're having reception problems with a SDS, the problem isn't simulcast.

What would you attribute it to? Don’t get me wrong, I love the SDS. Phenomenal scanner and I would not dissuade anyone from buying one. But, at least on the NextGen system, it struggles just as much as any other digital scanner I’ve tried. Any insight is welcome!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Let's start with the basics. What are your RSSI and NOISE readings on that system?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Try adding NOISE to your display. That's a useful way to see if you've got RFI on a particular frequency. If NOISE is 2-3 digits, you can normally get a clean digital decode (D-ERROR 0 most of the time, no audible audio garbles) regardless of whether the signal is simulcast. If it's a 4-digit number or higher, that usually indicates RFI from some unwanted signal, or a really weak signal (like less than -105bBm).

Are the RSSI numbers you gave with the Yagi, or an omni antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.