Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

UPMan Paul Optiz, thank you for your ingenuity, mentor ship, and dedication to your work with Uniden to making great scanners even better. R.I.P.

Ersin

So, so sad. My prayers are with Paul and his family.

I've enjoyed Paul's posts and information over the years. Uniden has lost a valuable asset and for the rest of us he was someone who kept us all up to date on the latest.

Donation to a cancer research charity coming soon.

RIP Paul Opitz

lu81fitter

I extend my condolences to the Opitz family. Very sad to hear of his passing. So sorry for your loss.

Paul was a great asset here at Radio Reference, and to Uniden as well. He will be missed.
Rest in peace Upman!

scannersnstuff

I usually don't reveal my true feeling's on social media, and never met Paul. This news actually has me pretty chocked up. My sincerest condolences to the Opitz family, including Uniden. May Paul rest in eternal peace.

N8JOY

Hey Guys.

Just wanted to reach out on behalf of the company, Our President wanted to share this with you all. I hope this brings peace to all mourning.

To our Uniden Scanner Partners

It is with tremendous regret to inform you all that Paul Opitz passed away this weekend, on Saturday evening the 28th of December. Paul, as many of you may know was battling cancer over the past 2 years. Paul had been receiving chemo and radiation treatments through his journey, and as recently as early in December. Unfortunately, Paul’s condition worsened just a couple of weeks ago and was admitted to UTSW hospital here in Dallas Texas. I was told that Paul died peacefully in the hospital surrounded by close family members.

It was Paul’s wishes to have a celebration of life rather than any funeral services. His family is planning this celebration to take place some time later in January at Paul’s favorite restaurant in Mansfield TX. Paul had made many donations to Cancer Research charities and in lieu of flowers any donations made to cancer research in Pauls’ name would be appreciated.

Paul had a significant impact within the scanner community. He was innovative, knowledgeable and had a special flare to convey his message in an informative and humorous manner. He left an indelible imprint in the industry and will be missed. We are working internally to forever memorialize Paul’s imprint with Uniden scanners- as he should not and will not be forgotten

I am truly sorry having to share this sad news during this time of year. Our hope is that we all remember Paul in the most happiest of times- and raise a toast to Paul over this New Years Celebration.

Sincerely
Uniden America Corporation
So sorry to hear of Paul's passing. Prayers and sympathy go out to his family.

wdz

I did not know Paul personally, but through his interactions here on RR I felt like I did. What a huge loss. Praying for his family.

kc2kth

I'm a bit late to the thread, but RIP Paul. I had been following his blog from nearly the start, always checking in to see if he posted updates and hoping they were positive. I'll truly miss Paul from here on RR. His level of commitment to our hobby was amazing. Best to all of Paul's family.

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
I never had the chance to meet Paul, nor did I ever interact with him personally/directly - but, he's entirely the reason that I got back into scanning in 2019 after decades away from the hobby. It was discovering RadioReference and the incredible community here, and, in particular, the enrichment of Paul's interaction with Uniden (and non-Uniden) users that made me see this community for what it is. I spent weeks reviewing every post by UPMan, learning everything I could before I decided if I'd take the plunge and get back into scanning and get the SDS-100. It was just a few weeks before his "Catch Me While You Can" post when I knew that with the amount of passion he personally brought to the hobby (and Uniden) that the choice was easy...

It's a huge loss to this fantastic community, to the hobby, and to his family. People who bring that much energy and joy to their work and inspire others to follow along are rare, and I'm thankful that I at least had the chance to learn from his presence here, as I'm sure others have. Thanks, Paul.

markn455

Premium Subscriber
God bless Paul and his family. Paul will certainly be missed by us all. Our prayers are with you and your family.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Oh dear, this is very sad news. I had no idea he was in this situation. Paul was and is, instrumental to my understanding and operation of all of my uniden products. His postings and replies to mine and others questions and confusion did so much in helping so many figure things out and not give up on all of the new technology etc. He will be greatly missed. For all our sake, he has hopefully brought someone up through the ranks and has instilled the zest and vigor in any and all predecessors. They will indeed have big shoes to fill.

~ May he rest in peace ~

Status
Not open for further replies.