VSP-Va Beach/Hampton Roads Interop

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrowl

12:45 pm Friday, Commlinc -1 TG 6123 currently active in Richmond/Henrico with a surv op and air/ground comms.
Air/Ground ops probably Metro Aviation plane. Agencies unknown.

richrowl

12:45 pm Friday, Commlinc -1 TG 6123 currently active in Richmond/Henrico with a surv op and air/ground comms.
Air/Ground ops probably Metro Aviation plane. Agencies unknown.
Probably a training exercise, I live within a mile of some named locations and saw no aircraft. Ops terminated at 2:40 pm.

freqhopping

Probably a training exercise, I live within a mile of some named locations and saw no aircraft. Ops terminated at 2:40 pm.

If they're operating correctly you're not going to see them anywhere near the area under surveillance. ISR aircraft typically don't orbit around the target. Depending on the altitude and system capabilities they could be 5-10 miles away.

Flight track for a Cessna 182 at noon today. Took off a little before 1100. Not a filed flight, probably VSP.
c182.JPG

Last edited:

W4UVV

-------------
I heard most of those comms while I was also updating some of my internet files. I agree it was an air/ground training exercise because the pilot indicated in so many words he was ready soon to end his tracking efforts. I also agree it was a Richmond Metro Aviation air/ground surveillance conducted by one of its' member pilots either from Chesterfield Co., or Henrico Co. or Richmond City. Richmond city only has helicopter surveillance capability. Chesterfield Co. and Henrico Co. additionally have fixed wing aircraft assets available. I concluded it was a Richmond city surveillance training exercise on STARS TG 6123 COMLINC 1.

One day last month I monitored Metro Aviation member Richmond City, doing an air/ground surveillance on 154.965,mhz.(VSP conventional surveillance frequency), analog unencrypted over the city area.

John:)
W4UVV

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
@trainman111 is correct. The only rotor-wing LE ops you'll see in the Richmond area would be from VSP, federal agencies notwithstanding.

I believe that Fairfax County is the only locality in the Commonwealth with its own LE helo.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
You’ll mostly hear them on ORION TG 1401, the roll call as stated above and sometimes VB will do random radio checks with VSP

Status
Not open for further replies.