Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

Lotta places will do that for retirements or deaths (both LODD and non). Its normally a nice thing to do for both situations.

Yeah, it must be that time of year - after hearing Northampton's police chief sign off yesterday, my own township's chief also signed off at 12:00pm and retired today (Chief Duane Hasenauer Plumstead Township, PA). I was working on something outside and actually heard the procession (sirens going off).

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Yeah, it must be that time of year - after hearing Northampton's police chief sign off yesterday, my own township's chief also signed off at 12:00pm and retired today (Chief Duane Hasenauer Plumstead Township, PA). I was working on something outside and actually heard the procession (sirens going off).

Interesting, I wonder if that's what happened in my area this morning too. I was inside and heard a lot of police sirens going down the main road by my house (can recognize by the tone compared to ambulance) and one fire engine, FD uses the Q. Either that or it a horrific accident or robbery was taking place with fire going to stage for medical. I don't listen to public safety much so I didn't have it scanning at the time so no clue. I was thinking possible new years too but they never done that before and there was some pretty aggressive siren warbling through the intersections.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
Last night I heard a cop burp over the radio. It was on purpose he keyed the radio all he did was burp. Either a cop or someone was playing with a Beofeng radio. I hope people don't start doing stupid things with those. Mine will key the sheriff repeater but I stay off and don't mess with them only listen.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Last night I heard a cop burp over the radio. It was on purpose he keyed the radio all he did was burp. Either a cop or someone was playing with a Beofeng radio. I hope people don't start doing stupid things with those. Mine will key the sheriff repeater but I stay off and don't mess with them only listen.

I always programmed a frequency in the ham bands so I wouldn't key up the public safety rptr. Unlike a friend who picked up the wrong microphone when I put out a call for him on our local 2m rptr and I heard him on the local sheriff repeater. Dispatcher said "Unit calling ID please?" At the time he worked for a local radio shop.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe I'd have anything around that might accidentally get keyed up on any public safety frequency. That's almost asking for trouble.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Programmimg your radio to be capable of keying up the Sheriff's repeater is whacker level stuff and just asking for trouble. Use the right tool for the job - get a scanner.

I wish we could pack all the public safety frequencies into a certain band and then just make it illegal to have a radio capable of transmitting on them without a some sort of authorization. You couldn’t buy them without it or sell them without receiving it from the buyer.
With modern radios, it wouldn’t necessarily be hard as it could just be an entitlement that could be removed from the radio if it’s sold.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I wish we could pack all the public safety frequencies into a certain band and then just make it illegal to have a radio capable of transmitting on them without a some sort of authorization. You couldn’t buy them without it or sell them without receiving it from the buyer.
With modern radios, it wouldn’t necessarily be hard as it could just be an entitlement that could be removed from the radio if it’s sold.
They were able to segregate and limit access to cell phone freqs.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
They were able to segregate and limit access to cell phone freqs.

true, but I was taking resale into the equation. There are plenty of ham radio or commercial users that buy up old public safety radios after they are retired out. With my idea, all they would have to do is delete the public safety entitlement and then it can be used for whatever.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
Just heard dispatch call out a lady want's an officer to help catch her dog. She requested a black officer because the dog does not like white people.

thevig

Dispatch tells animal control a lady is reporting there is a dog on her porch, and it won't let her open the door so she can leave. Animal control tells dispatch to have her call Marlin Perkins.

Priceless.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Heard myself on the scanner after I passed out hard and had to get taken to the hospital. What a way to ring in the new year.

I heard my car's registration ran a couple of times so then I had to look around to spot the squad. With all the antenna whips I had it must of drew attention:) . I also had personalized license plates. Which I heard at least one officer that was getting frustrated by the dispatcher's not being find it. Hey there is no dash between the letter and numbers. these days I just have ham plates.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I heard my car's registration ran a couple of times so then I had to look around to spot the squad. With all the antenna whips I had it must of drew attention:) . I also had personalized license plates. Which I heard at least one officer that was getting frustrated by the dispatcher's not being find it. Hey there is no dash between the letter and numbers. these days I just have ham plates.

View attachment 79035

Nice haha I always try to keep my portable hidden from police so I don't get my address listed as a scanner guy in the database incase they do that. That way I can hear as much the interesting stuff around the neighborhood as possible. Just the previous Christmas I was pocket listening while unmarked units patrolled around looking for a kid and a few months before that a simplex stakeout for a felony warrant driver.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Once i was hearing an attempted robbery call and the suspect was heading south. Don't know why I walked out to the porch, there was the car as described running too fast through the neighborhood. Half a block behind was a detective car running dark. Took a couple of blocks before they were able to block him in.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Nice haha I always try to keep my portable hidden from police so I don't get my address listed as a scanner guy in the database incase they do that. That way I can hear as much the interesting stuff around the neighborhood as possible. Just the previous Christmas I was pocket listening while unmarked units patrolled around looking for a kid and a few months before that a simplex stakeout for a felony warrant driver.

It didn't hurt that we have a now retired Police Officer in the club. He set up with a good looking ID. He said at the meeting. that and a dollar when get you a cup of coffee. In other words you are not any kind of official.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
I recall a complaint of a UFO harassing someone several miles to the southwest of where I used to live.I grabbed my binoculars and stole a peek myself. Unfortunately either the offending aliens had a cloaking device or someone was seeing things because neither me nor the responding officers saw nothing.
I guess I shouldn't have been so disappointed but I never got see a UFO.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I recall a complaint of a UFO harassing someone several miles to the southwest of where I used to live.I grabbed my binoculars and stole a peek myself. Unfortunately either the offending aliens had a cloaking device or someone was seeing things because neither me nor the responding officers saw nothing.
I guess I shouldn't have been so disappointed but I never got see a UFO.

Well all it means is Unidentified Flying Object. So if you can't ID it, it counts. Could've just been someone playing with a multirotor usually the quadcopter variety. I got a nice little chinese one as a christmas gift that was only $50. Back when I first got into the RC Heli hobby back in 2008 having a pretty decent RTF model for that cheap was a pipe dream.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
For the past few days I've listened to a group of obviously bored officers chit-chatting on the "Warrants" talk group over the Lake County Consolidated System. They were discussing favorite resturants, and other such things. Maybe they were staked out waiting to serve a warrant and just decided to pass the time. :D