Need Help with new purchase please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkradio

I want to buy a scanner but not sure which one to buy for my rural area st george utah i would like one that goes state wide possibly,radio reference says my area use's ucan motorola type 2 thanks in for directing me on which one's are best for my area.

N8IAA

You would do good with a Uniden 15X base analog scanner. You would be able to hear your county, plus, the UHP on the 15x.
You would only need to use the statewide system for HP. You should hear your county on conventional frequencies.

If you click on REPORT in the bottom left corner of one of your posts, you can ask moderator to move your thread to the Utah state forum. You'll likely get better answers there.

Welcome to scanning :)

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
if you are going to buy a scanner buy a digital one now that way you will be ready and able to scan any digital systems that may come out in the future. Analogue scanners like the uniden15x do not receive digital systems

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Uniden BCD996P2 is similar to the 15X but is capable of P25 Phase 2 digital if the system is upgraded. It is also capable of DMR and NXDN with paid upgrades if you need those modes.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What all new people to the hobby need to learn and answer these questions.
1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
2. Where are you located?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you?
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST
A. Where you are.
B. What type Scanner you have.
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION.
D. What problem you are having.
Answering all the above questions will give you the best option to buy the scanner that best works in your requirements and get you the best assistance from the members here.
There is not 1 member here that can answer a question posted this way. MY SCANNER DOES NOT RECEIVE.

N8IAA

Talkradio lives in an area that analog is still king. The LE conventional frequencies are linked to the the Type II system.

How soon do you think that a system with only 4 digital, encrypted TGID's statewide are going to move to all digital??

Come on people. Why do you have to push digital scanners when not needed?? Not everyone can afford/needs the latest technology.

Setting up with a scanner that will work for his needs will maybe get him to buy a digital scanner down the road.

Lighten up a bit and think of how you all started out. It's just that simple.

talkradio

This past weekend i just started looking because my radio shack pro 83 200 ch ac port went out after 15 years use looking to upgrade now but taking my time to find the right one that gets alot of group talk unlike the pro 83 i was refered to the uniden BCT15X but it has 9000 channels of programming witch could wear the unit down fast and take forever to program imo looking around the forum i came across the uniden base sds 200 would you recomend that one ? and could you refer me to a reputable shop Thanks.

majoco

Stirrer
What Buddrousa said +1. Should be sticky with check boxes so that the newbie can sort out what he really needs. He doesn't know what he wants, how can he ask the questions? One of the first questions - What country, what state, what county?

Cue the Rolling Stones as background music..... :) "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you'll find you get what you need....."

tvengr

Well Known Member
Last edited:

N8IAA

This past weekend i just started looking because my radio shack pro 83 200 ch ac port went out after 15 years use looking to upgrade now but taking my time to find the right one that gets alot of group talk unlike the pro 83 i was refered to the uniden BCT15X but it has 9000 channels of programming witch could wear the unit down fast and take forever to program imo looking around the forum i came across the uniden base sds 200 would you recomend that one ? and could you refer me to a reputable shop Thanks.

Trust me TR, the 15X will not be worn down by programming. I can't even comprehend 9K conventional and TGID's being programmed into a single scanner. I have one, and it's only a third full. Have had it for a least ten years. It's not wearing down. :)

With FreeScan, and a PC, it takes very little time to program the scanner.

NOW, if you want to pay $600 dollars, and be completely befuddled by the programming system of the STD200, plus all of the problems it has, by all means spend the money. But, don't expect much is any future updates/upgrades for that series. The person that developed that scanner, and many more others for Uniden passed away 12/29/19. That would be Paul Opitz, AKA UPMan, a sad day for those of us who've been around the scanner world for more than 5 decades mourn.

But, again, it's your money. Not mine.

The build out of that new P-25 Phase II system will take years to complete. Plus, we can surmise that there will be something else that follows new Phase II systems. Dare I say it, encryption.

talkradio

N8IAA I have been considering it so you have one,can you close banks so that it doesn't scan through all 9000 channel's, and does it jump to live frequency's or scan through all 9000 until it reaches one active also can you manually program frequency's into the unit or do you need a cd rom a computer or the free scan only to program it,I like that it has Trunking Motorola, EDACS and LTR systems Close Call RF Capture Technology what are some down sides that you have experienced with it ? how much is the Uniden BCT15X I am getting anxious.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
It has a 9000 channel capacity. It only scans what you program. It's not like older rigs that scan every possible entry. You can program it by hand but most find it easier to program by computer, especially with banks and alpha tagging. While it does trunking, it doesn't do digital trunking. Analog trunking is a bit dated and not in use in a lot of places. However if you're in a area with mostly conventional analog frequencies the bct15x is a great radio. I live in a area mainly covered by p25 phase 1 systems but still keep a 15x for monitoring analog. I think they're about $125ish new now.

can you close banks so that it doesn't scan through all 9000 channel's,
A trunked system doesn't scan "all the channels".

It monitors the control channel for the system only, which tells the scanner which radio is active. The scanner then switches to the active conversation

That's why Trunking is used.

Read here:

You can set up various "Talk Groups" on the scanner and toggle them on and off as desired.

N8IAA

N8IAA I have been considering it so you have one,can you close banks so that it doesn't scan through all 9000 channel's, and does it jump to live frequency's or scan through all 9000 until it reaches one active also can you manually program frequency's into the unit or do you need a cd rom a computer or the free scan only to program it,I like that it has Trunking Motorola, EDACS and LTR systems Close Call RF Capture Technology what are some down sides that you have experienced with it ? how much is the Uniden BCT15X I am getting anxious.

Ham Radio Outlet and Scanner Master have it for $169.99.

No downsides. It is one of the best performing analog scanners I've ever had. I use it to monitor conventional frequencies in surrounding counties. Rail road and VHF/UHF milair.
I've owned the Pro-2004/2005/2006. The BC780xlt and other top notch conventional scanners. It is up there with them.

All trunk systems near me are digital P-25 or DMR and I use a Whistler 1088, plus a Pro197.
I believe that one needs to own what they need without paying a fortune for some of the new scanners that are available. The 15X will get your feet wet, and if/when UCAN switches to P-25, then you'll have more experience under your belt. Then choose what digital scanner is out there for further coverage. (y)

paulmohr

When I got my scanner everything in my area except the state police was analog. An analog scanner would have served me just fine. Within a year and a half they just switched everything to digital and almost nothing is analog in my area. I am glad I got a digital scanner now. Yes it cost more, but at least it still works. Thank god they didn't decide to use encryption. I guess getting a scanner of any type in this day is a bit of gamble depending on what you want to listen to. That being said if you could find a great deal on an analog scanner it might be worth it to start. Then start saving up for a better one later.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Ham Radio Outlet and Scanner Master have it for $169.99.

No downsides. It is one of the best performing analog scanners I've ever had. I use it to monitor conventional frequencies in surrounding counties. Rail road and VHF/UHF milair.
I've owned the Pro-2004/2005/2006. The BC780xlt and other top notch conventional scanners. It is up there with them.

All trunk systems near me are digital P-25 or DMR and I use a Whistler 1088, plus a Pro197.
I believe that one needs to own what they need without paying a fortune for some of the new scanners that are available. The 15X will get your feet wet, and if/when UCAN switches to P-25, then you'll have more experience under your belt. Then choose what digital scanner is out there for further coverage. (y)

Speaking of the pro-197, they are a rock solid radio that can be found used for just slightly more than a bct15x. I picked one up for $146 bucks a few weeks ago. I just can't justify buying some of the newer models when where I live a pro 197 or 996xt works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.