• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 7000 Bluetooth Capable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erico

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if this model APX 7000 is Bluetooth capable? Just a firmware flash or is there hardware in radio needed that may not be there? My fire department would like to start using Bluetooth connectivity for our breathing apparatus.

Thanks

Attachments

• APX 7000 2.jpg
    APX 7000 2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 60
  • APX 7000 4.jpg
    APX 7000 4.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 61

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The APX 7000 uses a separate Bluetooth Option Board, unlike most of the other APX portables where it's integrated. Early models of the APX 7000 did not come with the Bluetooth Option Board installed, however I believe at some point they became standard. Your serial # indicates that radio was manufactured in 2014, and so it should have the option board already installed.

Read the radio in CPS, then look at the bottom of the Radio Information screen. If it shows Bluetooth OB01 for the Option/Expansion Board, then you have the hardware and would only need the FLASH upgrade to add QA00583 - Enable Bluetooth Operation. If it shows N/A, then you need the hardware as well NNTN8160BS - Bluetooth Upgrade Kit

ResQguy

Meh
If that front speaker grille is the original factory one, it has the BT hardware as indicated by the blue dot. Early APX7000s got a different label with no dot and a different board inside.

ResQguy

Meh
Bluetooth used for an SCBA? That seems a bit dangerous.
More problems have been caused on the fireground by poor audio thru facepieces than hardware failures. The MCBT from inside the facepiece sounds excellent compared to using an RSM up to the voicemitter.

ME801

Bluetooth used for an SCBA? That seems a bit dangerous.

We have been using BT to MSA's for it seems like 5 or 6 years and the intelligibility of the transmissions is far, far superior to RSM to the voicemitter.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If that front speaker grille is the original factory one, it has the BT hardware as indicated by the blue dot. Early APX7000s got a different label with no dot and a different board inside.
Not so fast. I've seen a bunch of 2011 era 7000's that have the blue dot on the grille label, however they did not come with the BT module, all factory fresh at that point in time. The label is not a reliable indicator of whether the hardware is present. Only reading the radio with CPS and/or physically looking for the BT module under the speaker are the reliable ways to determine its presence.

To expand on my original post, the 7000's speaker module also needs to have the BT antenna. All 7000's I've seen 2011 and newer had that BT capable speaker module, and also had that blue dot speaker grille label, however as noted above not all had the actual BT module installed from the factory.

Read the radio to determine for certain.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
More problems have been caused on the fireground by poor audio thru facepieces than hardware failures. The MCBT from inside the facepiece sounds excellent compared to using an RSM up to the voicemitter.
Good to know. Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.