BCT15X: BCT15X Discriminator Tap Question about 3.5mm Jack Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevabeva

Im adding a discriminator tap on my 15x (and a pro2050 but it has a plastic case) and received the components but i have a question about where i am mounting the 3.5mm mono jack. The case is metal. If i drill a hole and mount this through the chassis is it going to add noise to the signal or anything else? The pics ive seen have a plastic ring isolating the jack. Can i just mount it through the backplate with the included nut or do i need to isolate this jack from the case? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 38
Look to see if the chassis is isolated from the board ground via capacitors.. If so then yes it would be wise to isolate your jack from the chassis.

Ubbe

Look to see if the chassis is isolated from the board ground via capacitors.
I've never seen that being done. At least the BCT15X have a common ground for chassi and circuit board. So no need to isolate the jack on that scanner. But you can still get ground loops that creates hum and distort the audio as scanners has no mains ground common with your computers ground. So a ground loop isolator might be needed. ground loop isolator | eBay

/Ubbe

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have put discriminator jacks on a couple BCT15/15X's and just drilled out the threaded hole on the back panel for an RCA jack. I have never had a problem with that and the ground is taken care of by the case. I have never had a ground loop issue that way.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I had done a discriminator tap on a 996T (same chassis) and didn't want to drill a hole in case I wanted to sell the radio later.
I ended up taking a cable with a 1/8" jack on one end and forced the cut end through the threaded hole with a touch of dish soap. Once I had enough length, I put a small zip tie on the cable and pulled it as tight as I could to keep the wire from pulling back out. I then did the soldering and it worked like a champ. Downside was the wire hanging out of the case but it was mounted so it didn't matter. Ended up removing it once I started the SDR stuff and only needed to unsolder, snip the wire and pull it back out.

chris

Ubbe

.... didn't want to drill a hole in case I wanted to sell the radio later.
I have pushed two wires through a non used connector jack, like a line out or record out jack, that usually have enough room where the plug goes to pull two wires thru and solder to a connector.

/Ubbe

Sevabeva

So i added the taps to both scanners and im very impressed with the results. I ended up drilling a hole and mounting the jack through the case. Works great! The audio is crystal clear when it hits the PC and unitrunker.
Pic of my resultsIMG_1944-min.JPGIMG_1933-min.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.