BCD536HP and a weather channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardofid

Hello All,

I own a BCD536HP and would like to know if there is a way that I can program a single, specific, weather channel (162.500) to Key #6 (WX) so that when I push Key #6 the radio would tune to that channel without having to scan through all of the other NOAA channels (and sometimes locking onto the wrong channel for my immediate area).

Thanks in advance,
WizardOfID

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Just add a Favorites List/Department/Channel and no other entries except for the NOAA freq. Set the FL quick key to what ever number (0-99) you wish then upload with the other FLs you want to monitor in the usual fashion.
I set mine for 99 and have all of the NWR frequencies for traveling. Similarly with the USCG core frequencies.

Ubbe

If you don't want to wait for the scanning to reach your favorite list with the NOAA channel, then also add a number tag to that favorite list and stop scan by pushing the channel button and push 6 and dot and channel button again to go directly to the FL list.

If you set the FL's quick key and number tag to 6, then do 6+Enter while scanning to enable the FL, and then CHANNEL+6+.+CHANNEL to go directly to the frequency.

It's simplifies the process if you always have that favorite list active but have the frequency avoided.
Then you only have to do that CHANNEL 6 . CHANNEL manouver.

/Ubbe

wizardofid

Thank you for your reply W4EMS.

However, I don't think that I may have explained myself clearly enough?

What I am trying to learn is if there is a way to program a single "hot key" that I can hit at any point during the scanning operation of my BCD536HP and have the tuning go to a specific weather channel without having to call up a favorites list or hit multiple keys? (In my previous post I mentioned Key #6 as it is marked WX for weather.)

As an example od what I'm looking to do... on my Whistler WS1098 I am able to program in a single weather station that can be tuned by a single key stroke of the "WX Key" and then be shut of when I push a single key telling the scan to resume. (Before you say it... I know, Whistler and Uniden are two different platforms. )

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there is a way of doing what you are calling a "Hot Key". Previous scanner models presented "opportunities" for inadvertent things to happen with a single button press, so Uniden added an extra step or two to avoid that.

I vote for the Number Tag option. I'm thinking you can avoid that weather channel from scanning, but still rapidly jump to it. I'm also thinking the Favorites List Quick Key can be off, yet you can rapidly access a channel in that FL through the Number Tag.

Ubbe

You can also use the search buttons 1-2-3.

If you program one of the search ranges 1,2 or 3 to have the WX frequency both as the low and high frequency setting, you stop scan by the channel button and do function+3 if that was the search list.

To go back to scan you do function+system.

/Ubbe

wizardofid

Thank you to all who responded. While the methods of programming the Weather frequency into my 536HP was not what I had hoped for... they were all better methods than what I could come up with.

Ubbe

It would help you and me and probably also lots of other users if Uniden could add three VFO memories.

When you are stationary on a frequency you could push Function and then hold button 1,2 or 3 in for 2 seconds and it would store the frequency to the button. Then to recall you hold the number button for 2 sec and independent of the status of the scanner it should tune to that stored frequency. Ideally it would go back to previous mode when exit from a softbutton or the menu button. The stored frequencies should be of the type of analog+digital+search so it could decode anything from the frequency.

/Ubbe

wizardofid

It would help you and me and probably also lots of other users if Uniden could add three VFO memories.

When you are stationary on a frequency you could push Function and then hold button 1,2 or 3 in for 2 seconds and it would store the frequency to the button. Then to recall you hold the number button for 2 sec and independent of the status of the scanner it should tune to that stored frequency. Ideally it would go back to previous mode when exit from a softbutton or the menu button. The stored frequencies should be of the type of analog+digital+search so it could decode anything from the frequency.

/Ubbe
Uniden could add one more menu button to the control panel marked "WX" or "Weather", that could be programmed in the manner that you related in the above message. That button would allow a weather channel to be programmed and accessed by the push of a single key.

Ubbe

It is non-practical to add mechanical buttons to a design. It would cost too much. But altering software are relative cheap.

On the 536 are buttons with only one single function, zip serv rang and menu that easily could be used together with the function button the same way that are already done with most other buttons. So the code for that are already in place and are probably only a couple of hours of work to implement for additional features. But Uniden already have the "push 2 sec for second option" on the replay button so that code also exists in the firmware and can be used on any other button as well.

So many enhancements can be done but probably no one at Uniden now have the capacity or time to develop features and options.
The competition are weak and Unidens scanners sells themselves without any enhancements needed.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.