• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

strange G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammersc

Last week a friend of mine has a g4 pager (he lives two counties over from me) he stated to me while driving it just went silent. He said he could see talk groups show up but no audio. I stated he may have accidently put it on off duty. He said he didn't know turned it off and on it started working. I experienced the same thing last night with mine it got pretty quiet so I looked and I could see talk groups no audio all I heard was a hiss from the speaker when a talk group showed up. I turned mine off and back on was good to go. My questions is has any one experienced this before or could it be something with the system possible that would cause this. I have no signal issue with the system

JoeyC

Yes. As a receiver, the G4 does an excellent job of handling simulcast systems in my area, is far superior to any scanner outside of the SDS100 and 200 which do almost as good a job, but its weak point for me is the display interface. Not being able to make any changes while receiving a transmission is annoying, but I think the processor that runs that interface is weak and can easily be overwhelmed should you push too many keys too quickly. Mine has gone dormant on occasion but quickly fixes itself upon restart and I think it is a response to pushing too many keys too quickly. I cannot be absolutely certain that was the cause, but from my experience the thing works 100% of the time under normal circumstances but gets confused with too many interface inputs like when changing zones and hitting the wrong key a time or two in the process (since the keys are too close together for my fat fingers).

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I have a vhf/800 G5 and have experienced this 2-3 times, too. It’s only happened within the last couple of months. I haven’t been able to find any pattern of when it’s happened.

wa9cat

Feed Provider
I had a somewhat similar experience with my g4. I could still hear the audio at a very low level, somewhat garbled . Radio was basically froze up. I use the g4 on a internet feed, so it is on on all the time. use a amp. speaker cradle to connect to the sound card on the computer. Also what it did, I couldn't turn it off. switched to off position and g4 did not turn off. Tried to reprogram it, but g4 showed up as not connected. Finally pulled battery out, and put it back in . g4 reset itself and works fine again.. have the latest software installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.