Duplicate feeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttescan

Feed Provider
What are the rules surrounding duplicate feeds coming into a specific area? One feed that's been around since ~2009 provides the Butte County Sheriff's Office (which now dispatches for Paradise Police as well), CalFire and Search & Rescue. The new feed that just shows up includes the initial two but not Search & Rescue.

A fellow feed provider who provides Chico Police and Fire has been told that someone else will provide the exact same feed.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Typically they can't provide the exact same systems. If one or the other has something the other doesn't then it seems to be OK!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The policy has been pretty liberal throughout the years as far as I've observed. As long as it's not an exact duplicate, they are usually permitted to co-exist. (I have nothing to do with the audio side of things, so just my own observation, not an official statement.)

Avoid duplicate feeds

Please check the existing county listings in your state before you decide to become a feed provider. Look at what is already there because we want to avoid complete duplication of existing feeds.

If there is an existing stream in your county for “Home County Sheriff and Fire”, please do not request another matching feed. However you could request a feed for “Home City Police and Fire (also includes Home County Sheriff and Fire). This is at least a different feed.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I never complained about somebody else doing Vanderburgh County. If mine goes down for whatever reason maybe theirs is online. Plus my feed has a lot of talkgroups on LOCKOUT to not violate RR's TOS.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I haven’t checked in a while to see if it’s all still up but Cape May County NJ has had about a half dozen feeds all playing the same thing with the same description but different feed names for years now.

richtidd

Database Admin
We do not approve exact or to close of feeds.
Needs to be different enough.
Super sets (more than) or subsets (less than) are useally OK.

As for Cape May County NJ, I checked & all the feeds are diff. No duplicates or close feeds.

One13Truck

Feed Provider

As for Cape May County NJ, I checked & all the feeds are diff. No duplicates or close feeds.

Good to know. There’s 7 feeds in the county that have the same feed notes. In the past they all had the same radio traffic. Maybe they finally changed them just enough to get by the duplicate rules.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider

Awhile back I tried to get another feed without 13 higway talk groups. Said it basically duplicated the feed I had but I really don't see how it would be close as it would of only been law/fire/ems and no highway. I only asked because I have people asking me all the time to turn off the highway channels. Anyone else think it would have been ok to have the 2nd feed? Oh well guess will figure out something at some point in time.

Chronic

What if a existing feed was feeding first but the quality of the audio was not as good as someone new coming along with the same feed sources , but had better quality audio . seems there should be more to the decision than just what is being streamed .

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Awhile back I tried to get another feed without 13 higway talk groups. Said it basically duplicated the feed I had but I really don't see how it would be close as it would of only been law/fire/ems and no highway. I only asked because I have people asking me all the time to turn off the highway channels. Anyone else think it would have been ok to have the 2nd feed? Oh well guess will figure out something at some point in time.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you split the feed Highway on one and PS on the other? With the new dashboard people who want can monitor both feeds at once and it becomes two different feeds?

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Just out of curiosity, why don't you split the feed Highway on one and PS on the other? With the new dashboard people who want can monitor both feeds at once and it becomes two different feeds?
Don't have the extra feed on here (as of yet) so have to keep highway on the main feed I am providing. I get that some don't want to hear them jaw jacking away and there is sometimes a foul mouth on there once and awhile. Sometimes I don't like having it on there just because of that and I will switch to my private feed that has no highway on it but then it is way too quiet as there is nothing else going on. Or if there is something going on, highway takes away from the other side by keeping the radio active so you can't hear what's going on. I have had it this way since before the county went P25 and it was just a bunch of frequencies in a scanner (miss those days) so it is why I kept it this way. Most people are using Scanner Radio on iOS/Android to listen and they can't do the dashboard so it why I had and I am again trying for the new feed.

What if a existing feed was feeding first but the quality of the audio was not as good as someone new coming along with the same feed sources , but had better quality audio . seems there should be more to the decision than just what is being streamed .
Have almost the same thing happen, I had online feed on here since 2011, someone else comes along and get's a feed started but it says it is public safety but only has fire/ems on it. I email in saying that that feed should not be called that as mine has law/fire/ems/highway and it should be called the public safety and the other feed called fire/ems. That was enough to get my feed name switched and theirs as they were totally different and the audio quality is night and day between the two also.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Well here we go again, applied for the feed and get this:
I received your new feed application, however I cannot approve this feed application at this time as I need more info.
Unless there is a compelling reason to approve your feed, I will need to delete your new feed application. Please let me know.
Why are you applying for a active feed you already have & own?

I cannot approve a new feed application for an active feed for this that you already own.

Are you are using the new feed application process to have something changed or are you having a problem with your feed?

If so, this is not the correct process for that. Please submit a help request from the HELP tab in your feed page.
How is this a duplicate with 13 talk groups not on the new feed????? It would only be Fire/Law/EMS on the new feed, no Highway. I also explained in my feed submission that the "Official" feed for the county no longer works and if this feed was approved it would give me something to go to the county with to get their approval to replace the defunct feed link with this new feed. Guess this will never happen maybe @blantonl can chime in on this as well as it only seems like one person handling the feed application process as I have only ever got emails from 1 person. I hate to 1. hijack a thread from someone, was not my intent. and 2. Put all this out there but I feel that it is not being handled the way it should of. There was a post above saying to put the highway on it's own feed then change the main feed. I really do not want to go that course and it will probably be denied anyways.

richtidd

Database Admin
rjdj2000:

What you fail to mention here is that the 13 talk groups you plan to not have on your new feed if approved are Public Works agencies.
This makes the new feed if approved 98% the same as your current feed. It would be to close & very much duplicating your existing feed.
PW agencies are not that busy so the listeners will mostly hear the exact same Police, Fire & EMS agencies on both feed.
Why not drop the PW TGs on your existing feed.
You can broadcast them separately.

Our policy is we do not approve duplicate or approve feeds that are to close.
We do approve superset or subset feed that make a diff.
Like if you wanted to do the feed without Police. That makes a diff.
Removing PW does not make enough of a difference.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
There was a post above saying to put the highway on it's own feed then change the main feed. I really do not want to go that course and it will probably be denied anyways.

I do not understand why you are so intent on duplicating the busiest traffic on your existing feed. the public safety traffic, as @richtidd said (and I suggested earlier in the thread) split PW off and into a different feed. This will most likely be the only way it is getting approved. With the existence of the new Broadcastify Dashboard, among other apps available, anyone who wants can still listen to both feeds at the same time.

And, the reason you keep hearing from one person is that is who is reviewing your application, you should listen to the suggestions Richard made above as he is the Live Audio Administrator.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
rjdj2000:

What you fail to mention here is that the 13 talk groups you plan to not have on your new feed if approved are Public Works agencies.
This makes the new feed if approved 98% the same as your current feed. It would be to close & very much duplicating your existing feed.
PW agencies are not that busy so the listeners will mostly hear the exact same Police, Fire & EMS agencies on both feed.
Why not drop the PW TGs on your existing feed.
You can broadcast them separately.

Our policy is we do not approve duplicate or approve feeds that are to close.
We do approve superset or subset feed that make a diff.
Like if you wanted to do the feed without Police. That makes a diff.
Removing PW does not make enough of a difference.

Rich, I know that they are a PW designation but around here (mainly M-F) these talk groups are very busy with chatter (wintertime plowing now) and in the summer it is quite busy as well so the Police/Fire/EMS side gets blocked out by all that. I guess for now just disregard the whole thing as I was also trying to get this so it could of been used by the county as well for the "Official" feed for the county. How about removing that link as the feed is no longer there? It has been there since the county went to digital and has not worked since they switched over about 2-3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.