mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
45038 CCPD SPEC OPS (Canton Police Special Operations) - ENC
45098 LTFD DISP (Lawrence Twp FIre Disp)
45099 LTFD 2 (Lawrence Twp FIre 2)

These three were added to the DB tonight. Figured I'd post them since people have noticed many talkgroups on MARCS turning green today -- and thus these three actual additions may have gone unnoticed.

m

sopranosno1

Hearing 54991 hitting off miami county tower. Some clear and some encrypted. Radio id's 95***** unsure if this has to do with the incident at buck creek state park with finding the car in the lake. Only been listening for a minutes so far.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
Wiki says the 92xxxxx IDs are DRC, so maybe it's one of the gray bar hotels in that neck of the woods?

They might be from the Ohio Adult Parole Authority (APA) which is a part of the ODRC. They may have been trying to arrest a parole violator.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Evening all. I went through the database to update my MARCS file for an upcoming road trip on my time off, which requires crossing the length of the Ohio Turnpike. Obviously several of the 16 sites within range of the Turnpike overlap two or three sites. The Toledo, Bradner and Neapolis sites for example.

Is there a specific list of which of those 16 sites OSP District 10 units actually use? Do some simulcast District 10's talkgroups despite not being actually being simulcast sites? Thanks!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Evening all. I went through the database to update my MARCS file for an upcoming road trip on my time off, which requires crossing the length of the Ohio Turnpike. Obviously several of the 16 sites within range of the Turnpike overlap two or three sites. The Toledo, Bradner and Neapolis sites for example.

Is there a specific list of which of those 16 sites OSP District 10 units actually use? Do some simulcast District 10's talkgroups despite not being actually being simulcast sites? Thanks!

No purposeful simulcasting occurs. If a radio is affiliated with a particular site and that radio is on an OSP D10 talkgroup, then you'll hear the traffic on that site. If no OSP unit is affiliated with that particular site on a District 10 talkgroup, then you wont' hear D10 action on that site. It really depends upon where the mobile units are.

Just put all of the 16 sites in. Depending upon where you are, you probably wont pick up more than a handful of them from any given location -- so it's not like you'll be pausing on the control channel of each of 16 sites during each scan pass. If you must trim it down, it's a pretty good bet that the sites closest to the turnpike will likely be carrying the comms. So if you have three surrounding the turnpike, pick the site closest to the turnpike.

m

hampeacemaker

I have a BCD396XT(unknown if its P2)portable. Since Ohio seems to be going to the MARC's system is there a soft ware update for this radio??? I see there is a base/mobile radio BCD996P2 on the market. Will this radio pick up normal MARC's program???

Nasby

I have a BCD396XT(unknown if its P2)portable. Since Ohio seems to be going to the MARC's system is there a soft ware update for this radio??? I see there is a base/mobile radio BCD996P2 on the market. Will this radio pick up normal MARC's program???

The 396xt is not Phase 2. You are correct that most of NE Ohio is already on the MARCS system.

MARCS is not a phase 2 system so your scanner will work on the MARCS System (but maybe not so well in Summit County due to simulcast issues-which is another topic completely).

There may be a software update available on the 396xt depending on what version you currently have in the scanner (check Uniden's website or the Wiki for further info). The 396xt has been out of production for years so there likely won't be any future updates. In fact, I'd bet money on it.

The BCD996P2 will receive MARCS, but again maybe not so well in Summit County.

Be sure to research simulcast issues before you buy a new scanner. You will find that there are ony 2 models (SDS 100/200) that are sure bets to work in simulcast areas.

6079smithw

Obviously several of the 16 sites within range of the Turnpike overlap two or three sites. The Toledo, Bradner and Neapolis sites for example.

FWIW, I ran the Ohio Turnpike 8 times in the past 2 years with no problems using the aforementioned setup. Using a BCD536 in the truck and a yard-sale 396T with the OEM antenna when I was on the ground. OSP 10 and Turnpike Maint. mobiles were usually DFQ , Turnpike concessions and Admin TGs were fuzzy at times but I feel this was more due to their use of handhelds than anything else.
Mr. mtindor's advice is spot-on if you do encounter interference though...

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Frank in Reno NV

Last edited by a moderator:

hampeacemaker

The 396xt is not Phase 2. You are correct that most of NE Ohio is already on the MARCS system.

MARCS is not a phase 2 system so your scanner will work on the MARCS System (but maybe not so well in Summit County due to simulcast issues-which is another topic completely).

There may be a software update available on the 396xt depending on what version you currently have in the scanner (check Uniden's website or the Wiki for further info). The 396xt has been out of production for years so there likely won't be any future updates. In fact, I'd bet money on it.

The BCD996P2 will receive MARCS, but again maybe not so well in Summit County.

Be sure to research simulcast issues before you buy a new scanner. You will find that there are ony 2 models (SDS 100/200) that are sure bets to work in simulcast areas.

Thanks for the info, doing some research now!!

au1344

Premium Subscriber
So regarding the PUCO talkgroup added to the DB today, I heard from a very reliable source that OSP is transferring dispatching duties of the Motor Carrier Enforcement to ODNR and that is what that talkgroup will be for.

phask

Premium Subscriber
So regarding the PUCO talkgroup added to the DB today, I heard from a very reliable source that OSP is transferring dispatching duties of the Motor Carrier Enforcement to ODNR and that is what that talkgroup will be for.
I happened to catch 91xxx and 93xxx radio id on that TG today.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

ODNR? Talk about square peg, round hole. . . .

Servius618

Feed Provider
Hello all,

I recently have moved into digital scanning from my analog scanner in an attempt to chase the Weathersfield PD channel that came over to the MARCS system.

My software defined radio is displaying target Id's that I have matched up to many talk groups from radio reference. My problem is that some of the talk groups I'm getting aren't on radio reference. I'm assuming I need an actual Trunking scanner instead of my computer software to see the alpha tags.

The talk groups I'm seeing on the Trumbull C.I. (Leavittsburg) control frequency that I cant name or hear (Encrypted) are 46010, 46014, 46025, 46031. Is anyone in Trumbull able to confirm what agencies these are as they aren't on radio reference?

Thanks!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Hello all,

I recently have moved into digital scanning from my analog scanner in an attempt to chase the Weathersfield PD channel that came over to the MARCS system.

My software defined radio is displaying target Id's that I have matched up to many talk groups from radio reference. My problem is that some of the talk groups I'm getting aren't on radio reference. I'm assuming I need an actual Trunking scanner instead of my computer software to see the alpha tags.

The talk groups I'm seeing on the Trumbull C.I. (Leavittsburg) control frequency that I cant name or hear (Encrypted) are 46010, 46014, 46025, 46031. Is anyone in Trumbull able to confirm what agencies these are as they aren't on radio reference?

Alpha tags are programmed into the system and the device (portable, mobile, whatever) but do not come over the data stream from the control channel, so a trunking scanner won't do anything your SDR radio isn't doing. If the talkgroup is unidentified you'll have to monitor it to figure out who it is; if it's encrypted you'll have to do more sleuthing such as hearing radio users on an analog channel and noting their radio IDs, then correlating those IDs to usage of an encrypted talkgroup.

Servius618

Feed Provider
Alpha tags are programmed into the system and the device (portable, mobile, whatever) but do not come over the data stream from the control channel, so a trunking scanner won't do anything your SDR radio isn't doing. If the talkgroup is unidentified you'll have to monitor it to figure out who it is; if it's encrypted you'll have to do more sleuthing such as hearing radio users on an analog channel and noting their radio IDs, then correlating those IDs to usage of an encrypted talkgroup.
Thanks for this info! I will do my best to find out what these alpha tags/ departments are!

Thanks!

Swipesy

Wouldn't it be so much nicer if the alpha tags did transfer.

No it would not. If you look at the RR Database of Alpha Tags many of them make no sense at all to us scanner users (they make sense to the Public Safety folks). As a result, the nice thing about scanners is that it lets us put in custom Alpha Tags to fit each individuals understanding when they see it on the scanner's LCD screen.