• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Are all of the itinerant frequencies on the 2m and 70cm bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorosaurus

In other words, if someone has a VHF/UHF radio, can they access all of the itinerant frequencies, or are there some on other bands?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. There are itinerant freqs everywhere from low band to 900MHz.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're kind of mixing terms here. "2m" and "70cm" generally refer to the amateur (ham) radio portion of the spectrum, not the commercial (Private Land Mobile Radio) portions of VHF and UHF, respectively. Picking nits? Maybe, but since you're posting in the Industry Discussion forum and not the Amateur Radio forum, the distinction is important.

thorosaurus

Okay, so the reason I'm asking, people said that the Motorola MTS2000 800 mhz radios being sold on ebay right now couldn't be used commercially. But it looks like those radios can do 806-870 mhz, and it looks like there are itinerant frequencies within that range.

What am I missing here?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Okay, so the reason I'm asking, people said that the Motorola MTS2000 800 mhz radios being sold on ebay right now couldn't be used commercially. But it looks like those radios can do 806-870 mhz, and it looks like there are itinerant frequencies within that range.

What am I missing here?
Did you actually read the notes on the page @jonwienke linked? Seems not, as the answer to your question is on the page.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but I feel like this was beaten to death in your other thread. There are no remaining itinerant frequencies in the 800 MHz spectrum. There was one pair prior to rebanding (808/853.4875), which is now allocated to public safety.

thorosaurus

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but I feel like this was beaten to death in your other thread. There are no remaining itinerant frequencies in the 800 MHz spectrum. There was one pair prior to rebanding (808/853.4875), which is now allocated to public safety.
Okay that makes sense. Maybe put a note next to that link though warning new guys that the list on that page hasn't been updated to reflect that.

wgbecks

Note too that use of itinerant frequencies still requires a Part-90 FCC license. These allocations were intended to provide radio communications for companies and other entities that have a need to use their systems over wide areas, statewide, and even multi-state. These frequencies do not require coordination and are used on a shared basis.

thorosaurus

Note too that use of itinerant frequencies still requires a Part-90 FCC license. These allocations were intended to provide radio communications for companies and other entities that have a need to use their systems over wide areas, statewide, and even multi-state. These frequencies do not require coordination and are used on a shared basis.
I do have a legitimate business interest, so that's no problem. Also don't mind sharing the frequencies. Given the inherent wattage restrictions and the rural nature of my area, I don't expect there to be any interference.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
This one.

If that's supposed to be a table of business frequencies it still has 854 to 869 listed as being okay. And if I understand correctly, you guys are saying the FCC gave those to the police?
Business frequencies are not the same as itinerant frequencies.
Business frequencies = eligible for fixed and defined area of operations licenses. Typically afforded some level of frequency coordination.
Itinerant frequency = licensed for use in a large area, with no one particular place more often than another. Not usually coordinated ahead of time.

thorosaurus

Business frequencies are not the same as itinerant frequencies.
Business frequencies = eligible for fixed and defined area of operations licenses. Typically afforded some level of frequency coordination.
Itinerant frequency = licensed for use in a large area, with no one particular place more often than another. Not usually coordinated ahead of time.
Now I get it.

nd5y

After rebanding,
851-854 / 806-809 MHz is public safety only
854-861 / 809-816 MHz is shared public safety and business
862-869 / 817-824 MHz is ESMR

There are no FCC designated itinerant business frequencies on 800 MHz any more but maybe depending on where you are located a frequency coordinator could get you a wide area temporary base/mobile pair.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
With your previous thread in mind, you should really employ the assistance of a local 2 way radio shop. Most shops will also handle FCC licensing. I don't know what category "prepper/doomsday/SHTF..or whatever you want to call it" falls under, but they may be able to get you a license.

Establishing a relationship with local shop will only bring positive things to your situation. They may even have used radios available.

Status
Not open for further replies.