Uniden UBCD396XT nooby to digital needing help transferring from analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

questnz

Hi there, just an observation, obvious you done some work and make progress but not to your overall satisfaction. I think you better off to keep 436, 396xt is old technology now still great scanner but future is in 436 and SDS type of scanners. Your other options are selling both and get UK/EU version of UBCD3600, its have DMR already out of the box but NO support just like 436. Then you can move to Whistler TX-1 its also have all preinstalled including DMR out of the box but NO support for Australian Database, only Australian Band Plan is selectable. Only US and Canada database is available and updated, no use here. So it's manual entering of frequencies via software from Whistler. NO win situation here again
There is also UBCD325P2 as another option
Far as encryption goes, yes it's killing our hobby but if you ever work with cops they tell you otherwise. Crimm's are no longer can get a cheap analogue scanner for $100 and listen to police movements, chases, locations etc. An element of surprise here. Crooks no longer can park outside Police station listen to analogue radio conversation and relay info on the cellphone to the associates doing the robbery.
Opinions divided on this subject.

Last edited:

ImC0ld

Hi there, just an observation, obvious you done some work and make progress but not to your overall satisfaction. I think you better off to keep 436, 396xt is old technology now still great scanner but future is in 436 and SDS type of scanners. Your other options are selling both and get UK/EU version of UBCD3600, its have DMR already out of the box but NO support just like 436. Then you can move to Whistler TX-1 its also have all preinstalled including DMR out of the box but NO support for Australian Database, only Australian Band Plan is selectable. Only US and Canada database is available and updated, no use here. So it's manual entering of frequencies via software from Whistler. NO win situation here again
There is also UBCD325P2 as another option
Far as encryption goes, yes it's killing our hobby but if you ever work with cops they tell you otherwise. Crimm's are no longer can get a cheap analogue scanner for $100 and listen to police movements, chases, locations etc. An element of surprise here. Crooks no longer can park outside Police station listen to analogue radio conversation and relay info on the cellphone to the associates doing the robbery.
Opinions divided on this subject.
I have bad eyesight atm and I do like the USDS100 as I saw a video on that model (someone here posted a link and I watched it) and that screen looks great and will be visible with my eye condition I currently have.
But I hear its the same as the other scanners, limited and cant hear the new formats of SES etc.
I believe there are paid updates for that model too but read the paid updates aren't needed when all you listen to are emergency services and the like.

Another thing, the channels I have to listen to are all on both the 396XT and the 436PT so without the 436PT I'm not missing out on anything.
I even copied the CFA channels from the firmware update of the 436PT to the 396XT and set it up and very happy with them.
I did have 4 different banks of CFA going but now I can scrap them all and just have these ones. Really happy with that.

I'm just not that happy with the 436PT and its limitations compared to the US. We are forced to pay a subscription here so we can program it but the US/Canada get a full database which is updated weekly. The SES page at RR is from 2012 so its a long time needed updating.

With the 396XT its limited more than the 436PT but at least there is a reason, the hardware cant pickup the channels. Whats the reason for the 436PT to not pick up the SES SMR channels? It should have the ability. If not, why not? Its supposed to be software updated then hurry up Uniden, get off your ass and update this thing.

Is the USDS100 better than the 436PT? I've read reviews from owners and they say yes and no. For me its the screen, I cant read the 436PTs screen but the inverted colors of the USDS100 screen looks very readable to me.
I had 2 lined up for purchase but the USDS100 got sold before I had the money, the 436PT was really cheap and in my price range so I got it.
But as I'm not happy its on ebay. I will have to start saving up the extra money for the USDS100 but have to sell this 436PT first.

questnz

Hey, copy that. If you settled on 396XT that's OK, I don't own SDS100 or SDS200 reviews are mixed in my opinion, check all reviews and Youtube for live stuff before pulling the trigger on another expensive radio. I commented once on SDS100 and the Sheriff of the forum slap my hand, promised to send me to the dungeons if I comment once more, ugh! Scary close call with the supreme authority. So friend just read the reviews. SDS200 is an other option but is a desktop. If you decide to buy USDS100 contact boys at Andrews in Sydney,
Choose Online Radio Scanner, VHF Scanner and Digital Scanners for Sale Prices you get USDS Aus version not US version. Uniden dont provide firmware updates for UBCD scanners like they do for BCD US versions, we been battling this for years without success. And dont forget better antenna for whatever scanner you decide to keep, stock antenna hardly cut the mustard. There are some Diamond recommended antennas for your 396XT. I have about dozen antennas in arsenal. You can get original Diamond SRH771 or SRH789 Telescpic from Andrews. Be wary of the Diamond and Nagoya fakes people selling on Ebay. I also use Watson antennas but they come via UK, for home base, check one of the Diamonds eg D130-J Discone for better coverage. Then good low loss coax to go with that antenna. Check antennas forum here for more info. Good luck dont give up enjoy the hobby

ImC0ld

I just found out why the 436PT cant here the SES SMR channels. Its locked behind the paywall. Need to pay them for the DMR update.

ImC0ld

Hey, copy that. If you settled on 396XT that's OK, I don't own SDS100 or SDS200 reviews are mixed in my opinion, check all reviews and Youtube for live stuff before pulling the trigger on another expensive radio. I commented once on SDS100 and the Sheriff of the forum slap my hand, promised to send me to the dungeons if I comment once more, ugh! Scary close call with the supreme authority. So friend just read the reviews. SDS200 is an other option but is a desktop. If you decide to buy USDS100 contact boys at Andrews in Sydney,
Is the USDS100 better than the 436PT? All I see the difference is the screen and waterproofing. Looks like the rest, software wise they are pretty much the same.
I nearly got aone today. Will wait till tomorrow to get one if its really worth it. For me its the scree, I'm having so much trouble seeing the 436 screen the 100 has to be better for me that way. But, the internals, the software, they look the same. Looks like they receive the same things, they both connect to sentinel, they both have the same 3 paywall updates.
As I want to hear the extra channels I'm going to have to get the DMR update but not going to pay twice so I will wait till I choose which scanner to keep then get it for that one.
IF they are pretty much the same receiving wise then I'll grab a USDS100 on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.