• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood FPU 4.21 (5K) 3.21 (3K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Due out next week is an increased security version of D1/D3
Firmware 4.21/3.21 will be release at the same time. (see my post on the .21 to .20 downgrade)

That is all I can offer for information at this time.

Hoping they speed the D1 up with this next release.

Reelfishguy

It was understanding from the bulletin that if you have 4.21/3.21 then you will not be able to read or write a radio with older firmware until the firmware is updated. If that is true then maybe you do not want 4.21/3.21. Why load new firmware if it works correctly. Loading firmware is time consuming with no reimbursement.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
It was understanding from the bulletin that if you have 4.21/3.21 then you will not be able to read or write a radio with older firmware until the firmware is updated. If that is true then maybe you do not want 4.21/3.21. Why load new firmware if it works correctly. Loading firmware is time consuming with no reimbursement.
While you may say this, what I was told from higher up mgmt at Kenwood, this update in the software and firmware was something asked for by a multitude of dealers and system owners and managers. While some will say what you said, others are saying we want to protect our investments further. I see you point, but I too, as a system manager / technician, want some for a protection.

If you read between the lines, to me, this means something happened to the current versions of software and firmware to cause this change.
Chances are, with any further updates coming out, new features on the radio will be built to anything after 4.21/3.21 that you might want, so
what do you do now?

You can load and unload any version of the FPU and firmware, that's your choice. the D1 and D3 keys are good for any version, AT THIS POINT IN TIME HOWEVER.

Anyones use and what not will vary from person to person.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Evan I think I see his point HIS BOSS WANTS PAID FOR EVERYTHING HE DOES free upgrades make him no money and the Radio Tech still has to be paid. I do not see it this way this is also why most dealers will not sell the software to customers IT TAKES MONEY OUT OF THE DEALERS POCKET.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
4.21/3.21 is now out. 01-20-2020

STILL WAITING ON THE FIRMWARE TO SHOW UP.

DO NOT LOAD THIS YET UNLESS YOU HAVE x.21 FIRMWARE INSTALLED ALREADY.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
i cant seem to update the firmware on my kenwood nx 5300 model 3. I have firmware 2.40.00, Do i have to bring it back to the person i bought it from to update?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
i cant seem to update the firmware on my kenwood nx 5300 model 3. I have firmware 2.40.00, Do i have to bring it back to the person i bought it from to update?
If you have the firmware, and a program called KFL, your should be able to just kick it in.
First let's do this in order though.
1 turn radio off, press and hold the menu button, while pressing it, turn radio on, it will come up and show you options.
1a, one of those options should say "firm program" if it does not, stop here.
1b, load the codeplug in D1, or read the radio
1c, turn on firmware programming option under Transceiver Settings > Optional Features > Optional Features 1 > Mode
*Turning the transceiver on while the AUX key is pressed and held causes the transceiver to enter Firmware Programming Mode.
1d, program radio return to step 1
2, open KFL (found in your D1 folder or by pressing WINDOWS BUTTON and typing "KFL")
3, load the firmware your are trying upload, click write.
4, check the check sum and cycle radio power.

NOTE, 4.20 is currently out, 4.21 due to release any day, it is not compatible with 4.20 or older.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Firmware is now released!

NOTE: if you want to be able to run 2 versions see this note:
Just an FYI I renamed the current KPGD1N to KPGD1N_42 and then pointed the Start button
shortcut to that directory and then installed the NEW KPGD1N 421 it created a standard directory KPGD1N.
This way I can run both the old and new versions of KPGD1N on one computer so I can open old and new radios.
It is not ideal but it works.
The same works for KPGD3N.
I will probably create new directories for the dat files so that things do not get confused when saving files.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber

Just an FYI I renamed the current KPGD1N to KPGD1N_42 and then pointed the Start button
shortcut to that directory and then installed the NEW KPGD1N 421 it created a standard directory KPGD1N.
This way I can run both the old and new versions of KPGD1N on one computer so I can open old and new radios.
I will probably create new directories for the dat files so that things do not get confused when saving files.
Thank you, i am going to update my firmware. I really love this radio im running it for Ham Dmr.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I dont blame them for moving forward with enhanced security and coding in firmware/software.

It really makes you wonder what fully occured or was seen.

Makes me wonder if there will be a security enhancement later to protect systems from leeches or work around someone did.

With the endless jokers on flea bay making a kill off illegal items to add features I can see kenwood has took the proper approaches to prevent loss and the whack jobbing that has gone on too long for Motorola.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider

Just did this for dual install on my new laptop tonight. Looks good so far. I am planning to upgrade the 5700 and 5800 going into my fire dept trucks as I install them in the next few weeks. Have a few out there with older firmware that I will maintain the 4.20 for now.

Kevin
N2ZPY
Chief BCFD

N2PDQ

Feed Provider

I've tried this method, but it asks me to do a upgrade and overwrite the 4.20 install. Any suggestions?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I've tried this method, but it asks me to do a upgrade and overwrite the 4.20 install. Any suggestions?
Have you tried to move the old kgp files into a new folder entirely and link its shortcut to it?

Then backup that incase, install new in default directory then if need be copy back to a new folder the old kgp files and link to that for the old.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
All I did was add to the folder name in my C drive (_420), point the desktop shortcut to the new location and then install the new version. I'm guessing the folder didn't get renamed in you drive if it wanted to overwrite it.

Status
Not open for further replies.