• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HP 8590A vs. HP 5891A Spec. Analyzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Am trying to figure out the difference between the two above SA's. Am considering purchasing either for the radio bench, both are very nice units, kind of old but not a problem, I like the older commercial SA's since the documentation (owner's manual, service manual) is superb. Wondering if anyone has either of these models and how they like them. They also have the Agilent and Keysight brand on the used equipment lists. Thanks.

n1das

I assume you meant HP8591A instead of HP5891A.

Avoid the HP8590A because it is so frequency unstable and drifts....a lot. During an initial 5 minute warmup, you can't turn the knob fast enough to keep up with it. It is always off frequency by close to a full MHz and needs to be kept powered on to be at all stable. It. IS. THAT. Bad. It was a low cost entry level model for the 859xX series. Amplitude accuracy is OK. It is OK to use if you have a signal source to provide an accurate and stable frequency reference to compare to. My coworkers and I liked to call it the HP Drift-O-Matic analyzer.

The HP8591A is accurate and rock solid frequency wise and has more capabilities than the HP8590A has.

I have used both in my career as an EMI/EMC Engineer. The HP8590A Drift-O-Matic was relegated to probing around with an EMI sniffer probe for EMC debug work but was never used for any calibrated measurements. I have also used the old HP8568B monster of an analyzer with the optional Quasi-Peak adapter and RF preselector setup back in the day.

I say avoid the HP8590A and go for the HP8591A.

Last edited:

prcguy

I agree, avoid the 8590. I've used lots of 8591 series, mostly E in the satellite industry and they are very good. I own an 8591E but its got a power supply problem and my main analyzer is an 8584E (2.9GHz) with tracking generator, another very good unit. I believe the best of the series was the 8593E and the last version had an LCD display instead of CRT. The 8593 is a favorite in the satellite industry for making measurements and also antenna patterns.

All these analyzers are getting old and can be had very cheap these days. My 8591E was free and I've seen 8594Es working fine in the $500 range.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Thanks OM for the advice, and yes I meant the HP8591A, not 5891 hi hi. Definitely will go for the '91A.

Status
Not open for further replies.