Rappahannock Electric Cooperative

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

---------------
vsp5151:Thanks very much for posting this link! Good research! THAT WAS THE SAME #$%#$Y^ RELATED PROBLEM I HAD 7-8 YEARS AGO WHICH INVOLVED FCC PUBLIC AUCTIONED LICENSES! LESSON LEARNED AGAIN FOR ME! I should have made that leap of logic. Back then I attempted to recover the 454-455 mhz. old PAGING frequency band callsigns of the segments the FCC previously had AUCTIONED for the state of Virginia locations of NOVA, central and southern VA.

After a long, exhaustive and frustrating search on the FCC website of drilling down the various menu levels I finally located the auctioned frequency segments along with their appropriate callsigns of the successful joint venture bidders. For my location in central VA, they were Buttner Communications & Radio Communications Virginia(RCV). Today RCV "owns" the 454-455 mhz. band with a four site DMR Connect Plus trs for central VA. Once I knew their callsigns and did General Menu Report queries, their data returned fine. But, first I had to know the correct callsign(s).

NOTE TO MY PERMANENT MEMORY: If I experience another situation where the frequency info exists and/or being used but not returning the license info on a General Menu Report query, first suspect a previously FCC public auction for certain frequency segments for a geographical area within the state.

In my opinion, common sense logic would require that any valid FCC license callsign, regardless of source creation, would be added to the General Menu Reports database available for query. But we also know the reason why probably it will never happen...hint...It's a green color.

John:)
W4UVV

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I have an SDS 100 with the DMR upgrade. Can someone walk me through how to program the REC frequencies? I don’t think I have done it correctly.
Thanks!
Dave

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I was wondering the same thing.

When trying to use sentinel for programming the sds200 with REC, it does not show up in the database of the software and scanner.

I tried to program manually and haven't figured it out on how to program it correctly...lol
Greetings,

I have an SDS 100 with the DMR upgrade. Can someone walk me through how to program the REC frequencies? I don’t think I have done it correctly.
Thanks!
Dave

fredva

Feed Provider
I think the reason the system isn't available in the Sentinel database is because Uniden is requiring the LCN order on the frequencies and those aren't currently listed in RadioReference. If anybody happens to know them for any of the sites, can you submit them to the RR database?

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Did you find what you were looking for?
Not really. If I input each frequency individually, I do hear some REC radio traffic. However, I still don't think I have it set up correctly to properly monitor the system.

fredva

Feed Provider
It is a tier 3 DMR trunked system so you have to set up individual sites and talkgroups as a trunk system.

Are the LCN numbers needed for the Unidens to monitor it as a trunked system? There is some missing information about the system, which prevents Sentinel from making it available, but I don't know if the unknown LCNs are a problem if the system is programmed manually.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Are the LCN numbers needed for the Unidens to monitor it as a trunked system? There is some missing information about the system, which prevents Sentinel from making it available, but I don't know if the unknown LCNs are a problem if the system is programmed manually.

Yes

W4UVV

-------------
From EDACS to Uniden trs scanners LCNs have been a damned curse to my scanning for the past 20+ years. Although one of my previous Uniden scanners offered a lame type matrix process to id them, I never could get it to work. I mostly now use my Uniden 536s one of which I checked all the menu options and LCN iding was not listed or I could find it. I don't use the circa 1995 enhanced MS DOS except only for software upgrades datebase downloads.
I use ARC536PRO for my 536s which bypasses almost all the antiqued user unfriendly whatever. Using ARC536PRO all it needs is a Suckware profile and one Favorite List and bye bye..gone. Additionally it has virtual software for logging hits info, easy edit/file transfers.

To answer your question, the answer for a Tier 3 DMR which has been posted you need a LCN for correct system controller color color assignments for LCN processing. MOTOTRBO, in my opinion, now calls "LCN" "Color Code" with numbers from 1-16 BUT they may or may not be in LCN sequence. You get to guess. Most of the time it is not a problem but sometimes there is.

For example in Richmond there is a 4 site Connect Plus Tier 3 system. Combined there are only 12 color codes. Each site frequency is assigned its' own color code from 1-14 with no dupes. BUT it did not assign "color code 12" The assignment scheme now is "1-11(no CC12) then 13,14". I have tried every practical color code combination/assignments and I still have one problem now with hearing the same talkgroup's only one side of a comm but not the mobile response. Maybe the next time there is the same TG comm it is the dispatcher comm response missing. If the color codes are not LCNs, they sure act like them. One or more of my latest color code numbers obviously does not have a correct color code (LCN) relationship. Again, the trs TG will work but if the color codes are not in the correct LCN configuration one or more TG user(s) comms might be missed.

Usually a Capacity Plus trs will not have LCN problems as the number of frequencies involved are not as much.

The LCN subject is not publicly discussed much because most scanner users, including me, do not know the magic algorithm or the scheme to use which successfully works every time for scanners which support the search..

Maybe somebody will start a new thread on RR addressing the LCN subject.

John:)
W4UVV

dtscho

Database Admin
A couple of things:

- When searching the 217 MHz band, set step size to 6.25 kHz to get correct REC frequencies.
- The region and site numbers that are listed in RadioReference are from DSD+. Uniden scanners may give different site numbers.

Thanks,
Dave

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
A couple of things:

- When searching the 217 MHz band, set step size to 6.25 kHz to get correct REC frequencies.
- The region and site numbers that are listed in RadioReference are from DSD+. Uniden scanners may give different site numbers.

Thanks,
Dave
Thanks. Yes my scanner gave very different site numbers

fredva

Feed Provider
If it helps with programming in Sentinel, the LCN numbers for the first two Fredericksburg frequencies are 51 and 57 respectively. I couldn't capture an LCN number for the third Fredericksburg site frequency. From what I've been told, there is something unique about the Uniden LCNs, and that is apparently why Sentinel can't currently download the systems from the RR database. RadioReference is trying to figure out a solution that works for everybody, as I understand it.

fredva

Feed Provider
Is anybody able to get a lot of traffic from the system on their Uniden scanner? I've manually programmed it using the LCN numbers I found and also downloaded the system in Sentinel (which we can now do). However, putting my SDS-100 beside my WS-1080, I find the WS-1080 gets a ton more traffic. I swapped antennas to make sure that wasn't a factor and it wasn't. Even running the Uniden by itself, I can tell that I'm often missing replies to transmissions. The Whistlers don't do true trunk-tracking on DMR systems, but right now, that doesn't seem to be an issue for me at all - the issue is with the scanner that tries to do DMR trunking the "right" way.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Is anybody able to get a lot of traffic from the system on their Uniden scanner? I've manually programmed it using the LCN numbers I found and also downloaded the system in Sentinel (which we can now do). However, putting my SDS-100 beside my WS-1080, I find the WS-1080 gets a ton more traffic. I swapped antennas to make sure that wasn't a factor and it wasn't. Even running the Uniden by itself, I can tell that I'm often missing replies to transmissions. The Whistlers don't do true trunk-tracking on DMR systems, but right now, that doesn't seem to be an issue for me at all - the issue is with the scanner that tries to do DMR trunking the "right" way.

I have them in my 536 and the SDS 200 and very seldom receive anything from their system! I assumed they have another method to communicate with HQ.

Ben

dtscho

Database Admin
Yes, there's more traffic on the system than the Unidens are picking up - although the Fredericksburg site isn't that busy usually. It's an issue with getting the correct LCNs for one or more frequencies. DSD+ also uses different channel numbers than the Unidens, which further confuses things.

Dave

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yes, there's more traffic on the system than the Unidens are picking up - although the Fredericksburg site isn't that busy usually. It's an issue with getting the correct LCNs for one or more frequencies. DSD+ also uses different channel numbers than the Unidens, which further confuses things.

Dave
I have noticed that I would get what sounded like a 1 sided conversation which was rather odd.. So David you probably hit the nail on the head....

Status
Not open for further replies.