Story County Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
Sounds great. Yeah, I used to run the Ames feed (2005-2018), then I moved to Galveston Texas (P25-multicast). I'm running two feeds down here. I can copy the software folder to you if needed. Just waiting to see if Ames and ISU are separate systems, or if they will join a simalcast site in the near future.

ajhanson

I used to love listening to Ames and ISU when I was a student, so sad to see the Ames PD stream gone...but, this thread seems encouraging. I moved out of state and have a P25 radio, but all the agencies out here decided to encrypt in the new year. I'd be willing to donate my P25 radio back to someone in Iowa if it meant a new stream going up.

I assume Ames, ISU and Story County SO will all be on the same system, hopefully not encrypted. Hoping a new stream can have Police from all three agencies.

mdcory

The Sheriff's Office deputies started switching on Thursday. There was also some simulcast of the fire dispatch. I really don't know a lot about it, I just download and listen and kinda mess my way around with the scanner. I know I was picking them up on what is listed in the DB as the Collins tower. Deputies where on TG 58892 and fire on 58583.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
Story County, Ames and Iowa State University are the 3 investors in this system so they'll be on it for sure. Not sure if you have a typo or the Collins tower is different but on the Wallace Tower I'm getting Story County Sheriff Ops 1 as 58592. Getting the Story County Fire Ops 1 here as 58583 as you said but only hearing the dispatch side on there. The mobiles and inputs I only hear on the old system. The County Fire Pagers were on 58584 briefly but have disappeared for now and are back on the old system. I also think you're right about the Sheriff channels migrating. Just waiting to see where and when the old LEA channel shows up.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
One confirmed change is Mary Greeley EMS is paged out on 58550. Once enroute they're on 58560 to work with Fire and ISU but the tone out is on 58550.

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
I've had an SDS200 loaded into ProScan recording the past few days and I only have maybe a half dozen transmissions from Story County on the SARA network recorded. However, with the exception of one broadcast tonight, the sheriff's office has had nothing come through on the old analog system.

Although, it may be programmer's error on my end... I've noticed that a handful of the Highway Helper transmissions on ISICS don't always come through either. :rolleyes:

Has anyone else been trying to monitor Story County on SARA? Or maybe someone could help diagnose what I might be doing wrong. Lol

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
StoryComm has been active for me all day but check your frequencies. They bounced the control channel tonight to 770.00625. That tripped up one of my older scanners. On the old Story County system, I haven't heard the SheriffOps channel used for a few days; only the old LEA channel mostly used by Story City and Nevada do I hear on the old system. Fire Dispatch I hear on the new SARA StoryComm but the Fire mobiles and portables I only get on the old system.

ISICS for me on old scanners is horrible but I would think the SDS200 would be working well for you. Not sure what to say on that to help other than the usual suspects of electronic devices interfering or a strong broadcast antenna nearby giving issues.

If its a ProScan issue I'm no help. I use the Uniden software on the SDS and Butel on the older radios.

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
StoryComm has been active for me all day but check your frequencies. They bounced the control channel tonight to 770.00625. That tripped up one of my older scanners. On the old Story County system, I haven't heard the SheriffOps channel used for a few days; only the old LEA channel mostly used by Story City and Nevada do I hear on the old system. Fire Dispatch I hear on the new SARA StoryComm but the Fire mobiles and portables I only get on the old system.

ISICS for me on old scanners is horrible but I would think the SDS200 would be working well for you. Not sure what to say on that to help other than the usual suspects of electronic devices interfering or a strong broadcast antenna nearby giving issues.

If its a ProScan issue I'm no help. I use the Uniden software on the SDS and Butel on the older radios.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still somewhat new at this so I appreciate anything anyone tells me... lol. I do have 770.006250 as a frequency on the Wallace Hall tower. I've been "monitoring" (had this SDS200 hooked into ProScan to record) on both Ames and Wallace Hall sites. I just checked again and I have a few more transmissions. I did notice my antennas between the three scanners were extremely close (I probably bumped them) so I physically separated them by moving one SDS200 to the other edge of the desk, so that may or may not help.

FWIW I used Sentinel to program both SDS200s. I just downloaded ProScan for the recording function and to see if I like it enough to pay for it past 30 days. It seems like pretty nice software.

I've also been having TJK50010 help me set up an RTL SDR device to try to get Ames Police and Fire and ISU Police to Broadcastify. Hopefully that will turn out well.

As for the analog system, I think I am getting Story County Fire tone-outs on my 996p2 that I am running the Story County feed off of as well as the individual portable radios but I can't say I've been listening close enough to confirm that myself. I DO still get the highway department, which is my personal favorite, so that's good at least.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
Yeah, I wish I was there to tinker with the system. Since Ames isn't on a linked system, it's range might be limited around the city.

The best advice on the SDR... I watched this video, and the first time trying to get my system going, I reached out to Corrosive directly on his Discord server. He remote helped me with Teamviewer.

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
Thank you TJK50010 I really do appreciate all the help you've given me so far. I am working from home now so hopefully I will have more time to look into this dang thing.

I also got a report that my Story County Sheriff/Fire/Highways feed has no audio, so I'm looking into that for the next few nights. I know Sheriff is on SARA. As far as I know I think Fire and Roads are still on the analog system but I will be listening closely to see what's going on with that.

mdcory

Fire and secondary roads are still on the old system. Dispatch is simulcast on SARA for fire. My understanding is Emergency Management was to be the next agency to switch. I thought it was going to be this past week, but maybe this coming week. That may have changed with current circumstances. Then followed by the local law enforcement agencies. Fire/EMS (other than Mary Greeley who switched with Ames) will be last.

mdcory

Looks like LEA is 58588. I've heard Nevada on there tonight. I think 48574 must be what the old Nevada PD was. Heard 602 calling 613.

watchtower6

Premium Subscriber
Ames Fire Training talkgroup is 58562.
ISU Security Ops Center is 58571.

The old database had 2 ISU Parking channels. On the new system 58574 is the pair with 58575 but I don't know which should correctly be called Parking 1 and Parking 2. Seems like 58574 is more active weekdays and 58575 on weekends but especially with the Campus shut down now it's hard to tell.

n2mdk

I used to be pretty active on here, just purchased a BCD436HP. Should be here next Thurs. Shouldn't take me too long to get up to speed on the new scanner.
I'll keep an ear and eye out for anything new I come across with talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.