Uniden BCD996p2

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

If this is in the wrong place I apologize, it told me I couldn't post in the main thread.
I recently purchased a BCD996P2 with the DMR/NXDN upgrade and I haven't had a lot of time to really mess with it until today, Can somebody tell me if there is a way for it to decode the DMR CC/Slot/TG information and the RAN information?
Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If this is in the wrong place I apologize, it told me I couldn't post in the main thread.
I recently purchased a BCD996P2 with the DMR/NXDN upgrade and I haven't had a lot of time to really mess with it until today, Can somebody tell me if there is a way for it to decode the DMR CC/Slot/TG information and the RAN information?
Thanks
Are you using software? Or entering through the keypad manually?

If entering a frequency manually, set the audio type to Digital, then the next screen will give you the option to "Search", which would try to identify the NAC, Color Code, or RAN of the frequency (NAC for P25, Color Code for DMR, RAN for NXDN), If you know for sure that the frequency is either DMR or NXDN, use the specific search for that format to get the information.

However, on the Uniden scanners, you can't program a talkgroup or slot number if entered conventionally. Instead, enter it as a One Frequency Trunked system. You can still search for color code or RAN, but entering it that way let's you see the slot number being used, as well as the talkgroup. Each frequency is entered as a site. Be sure and activate ID Search if trying to identify talkgroup IDs.

For this frequency from your county,
155.95500 153.74000 WQIF398 RMCC 1
TG 2000
SL 1
NEGCFD OPS North East Greene County Fire Operations DMR Fire Dispatch

If entered as a DMR One Frequency Trunked system, you can enter all of the information note: CC (color code), TG (talkgroup) & SL (Slot).

If this was, instead, a NXDN frequency, you would see the RAN and Talkgroup.

I see several frequencies in your county (Greene) that are listed as NXDN, but no RAN or talkgroup information. If entered as a conventional frequency, set as digital, and as "Search" for the RAN, you would see the RAN the scanner has found. If, instead, entered as a One Frequency system, you would also be able to program any talkgroup found, as well as seeing the RAN.

Note that if you are using software, FreeSCAN will not work. It does not correctly support DMR systems or conventional frequencies, and does not support NXDN at all. You would need to look at either ProScan, or ARC-XT. Neither is free, but both have a free trial period. Of the two, I prefer ProScan.

btritch

I'm using the ArcXT software, There are several that I'm hearing in this area in other counties that aren't identified as such modes, I was just asking so that maybe I could nail them and submit them. Do I need to program manually in order to accomplish the ID task or set all the digital conventional channels as trunked system in the arcxt software?
This is all new to me, I apologize if I'm asking a bunch of questions.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If the ones you want to identify are conventional frequencies, like the ones for your home county, listed in that first large section used by the Sheriff's Office, along with fire, EMS, and other departments, then I would enter them as One Frequency Trunked systems. That way, the scanner can identify & display the color code (DMR) or RAN (NXDN), the Slot (DMR) and the talkgroup.

Paragould shows to have a NXDN trunked system, but with only one talkgroup identified so far. Based on the comments on the system page, as well as on the county's database page, I suspect that there a number of other talkgroups also in use, that have not been identified & submitted to the database.

Looking at the site frequencies, only two of them are noted with their channel numbers. Since you are using a 996P2, which does not include an LCN Finder option, if the system does not track correctly, you can try to manually calculate the channel numbers.
See this thread for a start:

And also click on a different thread link in the above post.

Attached is a NXDN system calculator spreadsheet that was posted a couple of years ago. Offhand, I don't recall the thread where it appeared.

Attachments

• NXDN System Calculator V3.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 28

btritch

Most, if not all of the paragould stuff is encrypted. I'm looking at surrounding counties and I believe they are all conventional. I'll give this one trunk system step a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.