Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP won't update

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiosniffer

Premium Subscriber
Hello
I noticed on an old forum the same problem but that was from 2015.
I am trying to update my Bearcat BCD436HP using sentinel. Error as follows as of today 26 March 2020.

Updating unit failed.
Operation is canceled.

The remote name could not be resolved: 'ftp.homepatrol.com'

Any suggestions?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello
I noticed on an old forum the same problem but that was from 2015.
I am trying to update my Bearcat BCD436HP using sentinel. Error as follows as of today 26 March 2020.

Updating unit failed.
Operation is canceled.

The remote name could not be resolved: 'ftp.homepatrol.com'

Any suggestions?
Who is your ISP? (The firm that provides your internet access.) Some of them, notably Hughes, block access to FTP addresses. Either your ISP, anti-virus program, or firewall is preventing access to the address used to provide updates.

Can you verify that you do have the current version of Sentinel, 2.02, Revision 01?

radiosniffer

Premium Subscriber
Hello
Thank you for the info. I realized the firewall was blocking it. I bypassed it and it worked, thank you for the info. Hiegtx, your block ftp spurred my very bad memory, haha, thanks.
Next question if I may ask.
How can I tell if I have the following options added in my unit and if not how do i purchase and add?

DMR
NXDN
ProVoice Update

How can I tell if I have the following options added in my unit and if not how do i purchase and add?
  1. Download and install the latest version of Sentinel from BCDx36HPSentinel
  2. Use Sentinel to upgrade the scanner's firmware and database.
  3. On the scanner, press MENU.
  4. Select Settings --> Upgrades, then press E.
  5. Scroll to DMR/MotoTRBO Upgrade, then press E.
Also, read here:
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade#Getting_the_Upgrade

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello
Thank you for the info. I realized the firewall was blocking it. I bypassed it and it worked, thank you for the info. Hiegtx, your block ftp spurred my very bad memory, haha, thanks.
Next question if I may ask.

DMR
NXDN
ProVoice Update
Go into the Menu on the scanner.
Once in the Menu, scroll down to Settings and press E (yes) to select.
Once in the Settings screen, scroll down to Upgrade and press E to select that.
The next screen has the choices for ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN.

Select and press E to check each option. If the scanner has already ben upgraded, you'll get a message to that effect.
If not, the screen that you see next is asking you to enter the key.

Unless you have a ProVoice system in your area, that you want to monitor, I would not purchase a ProVoice key. I did that on only one of my 436HP scanners when the upgrade became available several years ago, as DFW Airport was, at that time, still using ProVoice. They have since switched to a P25 Phase II system. I only updated the one scanner, since I knew that eventually, they would migrate to P25.

EDACS, the base system where ProVoice is encountered, is end of life, no longer supported by the manufacturer except in a handful of cases where there is still a valid maintenance agreement. No new ProVoice systems will be built.

DMR is becoming much more prevalent in my area, including one city's public safety radio system. It is widely used by businesses and some school districts. NXDN is also growing, again with some businesses and school districts. There are also two NXDN public safety trunked systems in my county.

If you need to purchase one or more of the upgrades, go to myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area
Register your scanner there (you'll need to create a login if you don't already have on), then follow the steps to register your scanner.
You will need the ESN, Electronic Serial Number, which can be found in the Settings menu on the scanner.
Go to Settings, and press E to select, then scroll down and select See Scanner Information.
The ESN can be found under the Firmware Version choice. You'll need both the ESN, and the checksum. Once you've entered the ESN & Checksum, you can then purchase any of the keys you need.

Reactions: wtp

radiosniffer

Premium Subscriber
Thank you a million. I took your advice, went to the Uniden site and added the keys and it appears all went in well.
I am from Southern Ontario so we shall see if I can figure all this out.
I assume if I still use the old, put one frequency in to listen too, my added keys will let me listen to a close digital signal (obviously as long as its not encrypted)?

Status
Not open for further replies.