[Opinions] Looking to buy first scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

Right now Im using my computer with an SDR dongle, using Unitrunker, DSD+, and SDRTrunk, which allows me to listen to pretty much everything from EDACS w/ Provoice - APCO25 Phase 2.
However, I'd really like something thats more convenient, portable (not a 17inch laptop with multiple programs, etc.), and easy to use on the go. I dont necessarily NEED a handheld - if the quality and price is much better on a base station version, I'd rather go with the more efficient.
Absolute requirements are:
Edacs w/ Provoice
P25 Phase 1&2

Preferred:
DMR, NXDN, close call (chirp?), firmware "upgradeable", and any other convenient features that come.

I've been looking at the BCD325P2, (and the base station version of it) but I see A LOT of reviews from the more experienced scanner hobbyists stating that the new model/Uniden is slipping, audio quality isnt great, etc. I even saw a few comments saying that the SDR decoded audio was better. Considering I've spent no more than $75 on my current set up, jumping into a $300+ scanner is not something I want to do without sufficient feedback, research, and a level of certainty.

My area's primary protocol is EDACS w/ Provoice, but I know that they will sooner or later be switching to P25 Phase 2, with the surrounding areas, and I'd also like to get the FLeet Talk on NEXEDGE 48, as well as some local DMR channels.

Any input is welcome!

Any input is welcome!
I use a 325P2 every day on our State PD which is Phase 2.

I run it through PC speakers and it sounds great!

I recommend it. It's very reasonably priced.

You'll need to buy the DMR upgrade from Uniden.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BCD325P2 is capable of P25 Phase 2. With paid upgrades, it is capable of ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN. The upgrades already reside in the firmware. You have to purchase the keys from Uniden to enable them. You can do that at my.uniden.com. ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN each require a separate key. The BCD996P2 would require a second set of keys.

Last edited:

ScubaJungle

Thanks guys. Im debating whether to get a handheld or base station model. I think I'm going to go with the mobile as that is the main reason I want to purchase one. Is there any major difference in performance?

I've read that Provoice is a free upgrade for anyone with the BCd - HP scanners, not sure if that is true. If so, are the Home Patrol models worth the extra money?

Lastly, do TG's NEED to be programmed to work? What I mean is - with my SDR I am following an EDACS w Provoice channel. Many talkgroups are missing from the RR DB, but they still show up as whatever number they are, where the others that are identified have labels, and I label as I identify new ones. I'm assuming thats how all scanners work, but I just want to make sure as that would be a deal breaker, considering many of the good talk groups are unidentified on RR.

Bob1955

geremyel-I would go with the base/mobile BCD-996P2 as it is the same as the BCD-325P2 handheld but MUCH better audio and no batteries to run down and recharge either. I own one and ZERO problems with it too. The base is well constructed with all metal and VFO knob with a great display screen too. Go online to YouTube and type in Bearcat Warehouse and look for Paul's video's. He works at that outfit in Maryland. I also would give them a call at 877-568-7226 and it is free shipping and no sales tax except to Maryland residents.
I hope this helps you out. They can also set up your scanner for you for $70 for (1) county plus included, is a critical software update for 1.08.01

tvengr

Well Known Member
To my knowledge, ProVoice is not a free upgrade. I will not believe that until I see it from an official source. Probably just another rumor.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thanks guys. Im debating whether to get a handheld or base station model. I think I'm going to go with the mobile as that is the main reason I want to purchase one. Is there any major difference in performance?

I've read that Provoice is a free upgrade for anyone with the BCd - HP scanners, not sure if that is true. If so, are the Home Patrol models worth the extra money?

Lastly, do TG's NEED to be programmed to work? What I mean is - with my SDR I am following an EDACS w Provoice channel. Many talkgroups are missing from the RR DB, but they still show up as whatever number they are, where the others that are identified have labels, and I label as I identify new ones. I'm assuming thats how all scanners work, but I just want to make sure as that would be a deal breaker, considering many of the good talk groups are unidentified on RR.

It is NOT a free upgrade.

ScubaJungle

A benefit of a battery operated handheld is it will work during a power outage where a base/mobile will not.
That's a good point.
I think if I do get one, I'll be getting a handheld. If there weren't so many upgrade costs I'd have gotten one already, but the price with provoice, nexedge, and dmr is pretty high. All I really Need is provoice, but I'd like to have the others to find new things to listen to.
I also like the close call feature, to hear any nearby happenings.
The BCD handheld seems like the best and only? Option if I want a handheld with provoice. Some of the reviews are making me nervous though.
I'm debating whether it's worth the cost though, or if I should just pipe my windows sdr software to my tablet and use that. Obviously, I won't have all the handy features, but its also free.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That's a good point.
I think if I do get one, I'll be getting a handheld. If there weren't so many upgrade costs I'd have gotten one already, but the price with provoice, nexedge, and dmr is pretty high. All I really Need is provoice, but I'd like to have the others to find new things to listen to.
I also like the close call feature, to hear any nearby happenings.
The BCD handheld seems like the best and only? Option if I want a handheld with provoice. Some of the reviews are making me nervous though.
I'm debating whether it's worth the cost though, or if I should just pipe my windows sdr software to my tablet and use that. Obviously, I won't have all the handy features, but its also free.
Obviously, you would know your area than I am. However, I wonder if the ProVoice upgrade would be of that much benefit to you.

I presume you are looking at the upgrade because of this system:
It uses both analog and ProVoice.

Looking at the Mode column, I see that the majority of the identified talkgroups on the system are labeled as A, analog. You would not need any upgrade for those. Of the talkgroups that are listed as using ProVoice, with a D in the mode column , all but two are tagged, actually, as DE, meaning that they use ProVoice, but are also encrypted. If the database is incorrect, and more of the talkgroups, labeled as analog, but actually are unencrypted ProVoice, then corrected information should be submitted to the database. If you really feel you need the upgrade, then go ahead. My only suggestion is that as currently documented, the paid upgrade would make very little difference in what you can monitor. I would say to take a second look at what you are hearing with your current SDR setup. If, in fact, many more of the talkgroups are ProVoice, not analog, then the upgrade would make sense for you.

ScubaJungle

Obviously, you would know your area than I am. However, I wonder if the ProVoice upgrade would be of that much benefit to you.

I presume you are looking at the upgrade because of this system:
It uses both analog and ProVoice.

Looking at the Mode column, I see that the majority of the identified talkgroups on the system are labeled as A, analog. You would not need any upgrade for those. Of the talkgroups that are listed as using ProVoice, with a D in the mode column , all but two are tagged, actually, as DE, meaning that they use ProVoice, but are also encrypted. If the database is incorrect, and more of the talkgroups, labeled as analog, but actually are unencrypted ProVoice, then corrected information should be submitted to the database. If you really feel you need the upgrade, then go ahead. My only suggestion is that as currently documented, the paid upgrade would make very little difference in what you can monitor. I would say to take a second look at what you are hearing with your current SDR setup. If, in fact, many more of the talkgroups are ProVoice, not analog, then the upgrade would make sense for you.
Very good point, unfortunately, the database is missing A LOT, and many of those missing channels are ProVoice. On top of that, those TG's are the ones that I listen to. I wish it were the other way around.
I think my best bet is to buy the scanner with Provoice first, and then every few months get an upgrade. Luckily, the P25 systems are barely being used as of right now, and mostly in the eastern part of the county, so I wouldn't be missing much more than dispatching coyotes in parking lots lol.

As for the radio features/add ons, I'm looking at the GPS & as well as preprogramming card. I have a question about these:
1. Is the $45 for preprogramming worth it? I'm not really worried about whether or not I can do it myself, I know I can, but the convenience factor to have it working out the box is appealing. That, as well as the fact that they may have more information than is available on RR (or do they use the same info?) Then, I can program in places that I travel to, just without the rush of wanting it up and running ASAP.

2. I see the GPS feature is essentially a GPS antenna that plugs into the radio - so what is special about the uniden GPS antenna? Can I save $75 and use any / homemade GPS antenna? If not, is the feature worth the $75, or would that be something to upgrade with later on, maybe before taking a trip?

I appreciate all the replies!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Very good point, unfortunately, the database is missing A LOT, and many of those missing channels are ProVoice. On top of that, those TG's are the ones that I listen to. I wish it were the other way around.
I think my best bet is to buy the scanner with Provoice first, and then every few months get an upgrade. Luckily, the P25 systems are barely being used as of right now, and mostly in the eastern part of the county, so I wouldn't be missing much more than dispatching coyotes in parking lots lol.

As for the radio features/add ons, I'm looking at the GPS & as well as preprogramming card. I have a question about these:
1. Is the $45 for preprogramming worth it? I'm not really worried about whether or not I can do it myself, I know I can, but the convenience factor to have it working out the box is appealing. That, as well as the fact that they may have more information than is available on RR (or do they use the same info?) Then, I can program in places that I travel to, just without the rush of wanting it up and running ASAP.

2. I see the GPS feature is essentially a GPS antenna that plugs into the radio - so what is special about the uniden GPS antenna? Can I save $75 and use any / homemade GPS antenna? If not, is the feature worth the $75, or would that be something to upgrade with later on, maybe before taking a trip?

I appreciate all the replies!

1. If you are looking at the BCD325P2 then pre-programming *might* be worth it. However you will need to learn to program it yourself anyway so maybe not.
If you are looking at the Uniden BCD436HP hand held then I don't think buying pre-programming is worth it. The scanner already comes with the complete RR database built in and you can use the free Uniden Sentinel software to create your own personalized Favorites Lists. The BCD436HP can be used out the box. Just enter your ZIP code (or your Lat and Lon), choose the Service Types you want to listen to and you are scanning. Be sure to use Sentinel to update the database and firmware first thing after you buy the scanner.
Easier to Read BCD436HP/536HP Digital Scanner Manual
Easier to Read Sentinel BCD436/536HP Software Manual

2. It is not just an antenna. It is a complete GPS receiver with the correct cable needed for the scanner. This option is really great to have if you travel a lot. It can turn sites on and off automatically based on where you are as you drive. If you are stationary, the GPS option is not really needed.
Using a GPS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.