ProScan - SDS-200 - Trying to Read datbase from scanner first time - Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Hello:
I created a new empty database per the instrutions. I am now trying to populate the database from the radio. I hit Read from Scanner, I get a box come upwhich looks like it should list the radio. Its empty. I hit the send MSM command thinking that will put the scanner in read mode. At that point, the scanner goes into SD mode and they immediatelly re-reads from its own card.

I'm stuck. Any wise words from the folk who have been successful (please be nice when you say RTFM).

Thanks,

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The MSM command works when a USB cable is connected to the scanner. If using just a Ethernet cable then you want to use the FTP Scanner Read & Write buttons. The scanner FTP Read Only & Writable accounts have to be setup first. Go to scanner menu Settings - LAN Settings - Set FTP Server.

brumey

Thanks Bob, that moved me further along. After I searched the manual for FTP bit by reading and searching the PDF, it became apparent the Menu setting you referred to are on the radio ok, got it I thought. Hit the radio, setup a user and password for FTP Write. Back to Proscan... Errors. Then, I see the helper text in the app saying use READ id and password. Eureka, I went back to the scanner and set the read IS and password. Then, with great anticipation I hit the FTP Read option. (FYI - AutoDetect IP Scanner does not work). I entered the relevent details and , wow, I read my favorites. Time for a celebratory beer.

Now the crash - I removed a favorite bunch of TGID's and saved the file. Now I try to FTP Write to scanner. This time, I am aware of the helper text. User Write account name and password. Back to the scanner, setup Write account again. Reboot scanner. Back to proscan and try writing.... BOOM, error-see below. I checked all FTP account info on the scanner and tried again, no luck, same error.

Please guide this poor guy to a functional database upload and download via FTP.

System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (550) File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access).
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.SyncRequestCallback(Object obj)
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.RequestCallback(Object obj)
at System.Net.CommandStream.InvokeRequestCallback(Object obj)
at System.Net.CommandStream.Abort(Exception e)
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.FinishRequestStage(RequestStage stage)
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at FrmFTP.FTPDeleteFolder(String[] Arguments, String& Error) in \ProScan\Data_C\FrmFTP.vb:line 352

Time for second adult beverage but not celebration.

brumey

To add detail on the write error, I choose FTP Scanner Write | confirm the IP, User, Password, login. Login is successful, it reads the radio model, ESN, etc. Clicking OK, ProScan error as detailed above.

brumey

More info, when I try to write, the scanner display locks with an FTP Mode, Keypad lock. It then unlocks after 10-15 seconds.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
If you will send me an email, I can send files until fixed or at least see what's happening.

Put "ProScan Bug" in subject line

I just need this in this case
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (550) File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access).
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.SyncRequestCallback(Object obj)
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.RequestCallback(Object obj)
at System.Net.CommandStream.InvokeRequestCallback(Object obj)
at System.Net.CommandStream.Abort(Exception e)
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.FinishRequestStage(RequestStage stage)
at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at FrmFTP.FTPDeleteFolder(String[] Arguments, String& Error) in \ProScan\Data_C\FrmFTP.vb:line 352

brumey

Has anyone been successful in writing the database back to a SDS-200 from Proscan V16.1 via FTP/Ethernet? I wonder if its something I am doing or if this really is a bug. I don't want to spend hours on it if its a known issue which I "think" Bob might be saying and can wait a while for a fix.

Bob - I did try removing the password on the FTP write account and confirming all account data was correct, same issue. The scanner goes into FTP mode, I get the error in ProScan and then the scanner reboots. I checked the Fav lists in the scanner after the reboot and it does not have the changed.

I hope this helps.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone been successful in writing the database back to a SDS-200 from Proscan V16.1 via FTP/Ethernet? I wonder if its something I am doing or if this really is a bug. I don't want to spend hours on it if its a known issue which I "think" Bob might be saying and can wait a while for a fix.
I've heard of many people using FTP Scanner Write without issues. We'll let others chime in. The test file/s I'll send may shed more light on where the problem is.

Bob - I did try removing the password on the FTP write account and confirming all account data was correct, same issue. The scanner goes into FTP mode, I get the error in ProScan and then the scanner reboots. I checked the Fav lists in the scanner after the reboot and it does not have the changed.
On the bug report you sent via email, It would be helpful if you put this in the same email thread so I can have all the info in the same place. No need for two conversations on the same bug (if any).

brumey

I owe this thread an update. First off, Bob has been a trooper. He has been in contact with me since I reported this 'bug'. Bob has issued many revisions to fix the ability to write the data base to the scanner over FTP (Ethernet port). I can't emphasis how dedicated Bob is and his tenacity to resolve an issue is admirable.

So, without boring everyone with the details and many revisions of testing, I can not write the database (Favorite lists) to the scanner. I can read, just not write.

I would be very interested in knowing who is able to do this and compare settings, versions, etc.

Thank you

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I owe this thread an update. First off, Bob has been a trooper. He has been in contact with me since I reported this 'bug'. Bob has issued many revisions to fix the ability to write the data base to the scanner over FTP (Ethernet port). I can't emphasis how dedicated Bob is and his tenacity to resolve an issue is admirable.

So, without boring everyone with the details and many revisions of testing, I can not write the database (Favorite lists) to the scanner. I can read, just not write.

I would be very interested in knowing who is able to do this and compare settings, versions, etc.

Thank you

I also would like to know if the ProScan FTP Scanner Write function works for some and doesn't work for some. I can't duplicate the problem on my setup. Chime in please.

brumey for a test tried to rename f_list.cfg file in the scanner using FileZilla on the writable account and got a FTP 550 error which is a "File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access). " which I interpret as a file permission thing.
I'm able to do the same test and rename f_list.cfg without errors.

Last edited:

brumey

I am going to open a new thread specific to FTP Writing to the Radio. This one does not have a clear title. Hopefully we'll get more info on folk who are successfully writing from ProScan or others who are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.