May Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman59

I recently purchased a Whistler 1040s. I am as green as a leprechaun on St. Paddys day.
I am using the win500 software to program the scanner.
The more I learn the more I dont know.

Is there anyone who can help me get up and running?
I am located in Reno Cnty.

I want to monitor the following
Local LE , Fire, EMS
HAM traffic , I recently learned there is a K-Link repeater network but win500 doesnt list it.
State emergency frequencies
Federal frequencies

Any help is greatly appreciated

Redneck0410

I recently purchased a Whistler 1040s. I am as green as a leprechaun on St. Paddys day.
I am using the win500 software to program the scanner.
The more I learn the more I dont know.

Is there anyone who can help me get up and running?
I am located in Reno Cnty.

I want to monitor the following
Local LE , Fire, EMS
HAM traffic , I recently learned there is a K-Link repeater network but win500 doesnt list it.
State emergency frequencies
Federal frequencies

Any help is greatly appreciated

Yes, I can help you get it up and going. I live in Hutch and I have a cable to program your scanner. As far as what you can hear on the scanner, the LE for this area is largely encrypted, and there's not much federal traffic to be heard here. Send me a PM or text me at 620-960-7867 and I will get it going for you.

-Shawn

gman59

Yes, I can help you get it up and going. I live in Hutch and I have a cable to program your scanner. As far as what you can hear on the scanner, the LE for this area is largely encrypted, and there's not much federal traffic to be heard here. Send me a PM or text me at 620-960-7867 and I will get it going for you.

-Shawn
Hi Redneck0410
I will contact you when this lockdown is lifted.
I kinda have this figured out now but would still like to learn how to operate the features of the radio.
Thank you

gman59

-Shawn
Hi Shawn
I am not receiving much radio traffic in Hutchinson. I have all the CONV frequencies programmed from police, EMS, Sheriff dispatch.
So I dont know if not much is gong on or maybe my antenna is not good. I bought a longer antenna to replace the rubber duck.
The radio sits indoors in front of a window. If that makes a difference. But I have tried also outside without any improvement.
I have programmed in CB channels but hear nothing. Which I find strange.
Are you catching a lot of radio traffic in town?

Redneck0410

In order to hear any radio traffic in this area, the KSICS system listed here Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies is your first step.

The conventional frequencies here are basically just paging channels. Law enforcement here, with the exception of KHP, is encrypted, so you won’t hear much other than Fire/EMS. I run the scanner feed on Broadcastify for Reno County. Occasionally you’ll hear another county’s law enforcement on the Hutch tower. This is because the radio has “affiliated”, in other words, linked up, to the Hutch tower. When the radio does that, it will “drag” that radio’s home channel to the Hutch tower. A good example of this is during the State Fair, where troopers from all over the state will be in Hutch. That is an excellent time for picking up other traffic from across the state.

As pertains to CB channels, you won’t hear much, as the police scanner was never really intended to be able to effectively monitor CB. It works excellent if you’re right on top of someone that is using a CB, but not so great when that same radio is 1/4 mile down the road.

gman59

I have programmed the frequencies found in KSICS. I even programmed in HAM radio and the repeater towers.
I am only receiving sparadic radio traffic from L.E and EMS, which is really not what I hoped for.
I can pick up an open mic when the squelch is turned low but do not hear a voice.
So , I dont know if my antenna is bad or whats going on.

Redneck0410

I have programmed the frequencies found in KSICS. I even programmed in HAM radio and the repeater towers.
I am only receiving sparadic radio traffic from L.E and EMS, which is really not what I hoped for.
I can pick up an open mic when the squelch is turned low but do not hear a voice.
So , I dont know if my antenna is bad or whats going on.

Radio traffic in this area is that scarce sometimes.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
If you are monitoring KSICS I would highly suggest a dedicated 800Mhz antenna.

I have a SDS100 with the remtronix 800 antenna. I live in Ark City, The stock antenna with the SDS100 wouldn't pick up the Dexter tower at all. As soon as I switched to the remtronix I get full signal strength in Ark City (a notorious dead zone for KSICS).

We don't get much traffic on the Dexter tower as well. KHP Troop F and G occasionally, Sumner County Sheriff and on rare occasions Butler County.

Status
Not open for further replies.