• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Site Roaming Setup Repeater locks in TX Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeCare

Feed Provider
Over the weekend I experienced a problem with our or Kenwood NXR-710 repeater sites connected to site roaming. The area that was affected called and advised that they could not transmit and they were not receiving any radio traffic. Looked at the system had it showed all sites up and running. I was able to use KPG-129DN and read the repeater from the LAN IP address. When I attempted to write to the repeater it error out saying there was a communication error. I went on site and found the repeater still in transmit mode and if I plugged locally into the repeater I was able to read and write to it. After rebooting the repeater the site came online, but I can read from the repeater and still can not write.

Is the repeater going bad or the KTI-3 box? I thinking the KTI-3 Box.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Richard

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
What firmware version is in the repeater?
try writing the firmware back to it again
Can you read and write via the repeater and not the kti-3 (can it do this without using the network is the question)

I have noticed the network write has a bug in the version 2 and 3's, have not tried it with 4.04 yet.
Let me know.

LifeCare

Feed Provider
I can read and write via the mic port on the repeater. I can read only from the KTI-3 box via the network. I can not write to the repeater via the network or do the firmware upgrade via the network. I did the local firmware update locally on the box and now i can read and write via the network.

It seems everything is working.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I think there is still an issue on the KTI3 side, but read and write from the front port is good.
Firmware update, as a rule of thumb, I always do it on site never remotely except for the trunk system
where I know the VPN's are up and the ping times are good, if not we forgo the update, and even then
only if we need to update all 42 sites.
I did pass this along to Kenwood to get them to take a look into it thou.
Thanks for letting me know.

LifeCare

Feed Provider
Thank you. I have done our firmware mostly remotely. All of our sites are either linked by fiber or point to point links by Cambium and the ping times are decent. I’m going to replace the kti-3 at that site its a hit or miss sometimes, but the audio getting transmitted sounds like a robot.

I need to figure out how to fine tune site roaming on portables. I have portables that want to lock on a repeater in the next county over when they are not in range, until the repeater in there area starts to transmit then it locks on to the correct repeater.

Have you every tied voters in with site roaming?

Thanks,
Richard

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
if that is the 1st repeater in the channel line up, that will be the first to show, try re-arranging the order.

site roaming tuning, the rssi levels and hold timers will take some R&D to get your settings homed in, each layout is not the same in most cases,
i could give you some setting used here in florida, but that may or may not totally work in your case.

VR's, no never tried or played with that in site roaming, totally different animal with that layout.

LifeCare

Feed Provider
I did look at the line up for the repeater and the main repeater is listed first and the additional ones are listed below. Under the setup on the portables the system is selected as "Site Roaming" should I be use "Site Roaming with Ran" ? I don't have something configured correctly on the site roaming configuration. If you can share some settings it would be appreciated.

I need to tie in a voter or two in one city due the size of the city, because of dead spots. I am going to play with some settings to see if I can get this to work.

Thanks,
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.