what kind of digital signal is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex36917

This is for you tech people.

The fire/rescue dispatch went away from analog, so I need to buy a digital scanner. If it helps, the fire units use Motorola radios. Also, is it encrypted?

racingfan360

It sounds like P25. You cant tell from a simple recording of audio like this if its encrypted or not.

alex36917

What is your location (City, County, State) and what agency are you trying to monitor? What model scanner do you have?

Thank you for your help, but I checked, and the database still says FM. They went digital just a few days ago. I'll just buy a used scanner with Phase I P25 and see if it works. Thank you also jhampton2000.

ecps92

The DB may still say FM, because no one has noticed, or made a DB Submission

Once you have a radio capable of P25, make the needed submissions, it is from users only, that the DB grows
Thank you for your help, but I checked, and the database still says FM. They went digital just a few days ago. I'll just buy a used scanner with Phase I P25 and see if it works. Thank you also jhampton2000.

alex36917

How do you know it is phase 1? If you tell me what you want to monitor, I will check it out.

They don't use trunking, so I assume it's phase I (if I'm correct that Phase II is only used in trunked systems). Also, I can't find used P25 Phase II scanners. Thank you for your offer, but I already bought a scanner.

Reconrider

Honestly, just spend the money for a p25 phase 2 scanner. No point to buy a phase 1 only scanner when it's only a matter of time before they go to phase 2.THey may even be already at p25p2.
You can't listen to p2 with a p1 scanner.

kj6psg

It sounds like P25. You cant tell from a simple recording of audio like this if its encrypted or not.

There's a different sound to encrypted P25 as there's a much larger random component to the signal. This sample sounds unencrypted.

How do you know it is phase 1? If you tell me what you want to monitor, I will check it out.
All conventional P25 uses Phase 1. Phase 2 only exists in trunking systems. Phase 1 in C4FM, Phase 1 in CQPSK, and Phase 2 all sound noticeably different in both AM and FM demodulations. This is Phase 1 C4FM, so any simulcast issues (I don't hear any) wouldn't be correctable with a better scanner.
I do agree it's not worth getting a Phase 1 scanner anymore; the technology is about 15-20 years old and it doesn't cost too much more to be Phase 2 ready.

alex36917

Thank you, you guys sure know your stuff. Now I'll just have to try it out and see if it's encrypted.

kj6psg

Regarding the audible difference between clear and encrypted P25 as heard in analog, here's an example. First transmission is clear, second transmission is secure.

Attachments

• p25-clr-vs-enc.zip
    418.9 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.