Scanner help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpeme1

Hi everyone. here’s the issue. Up until about a year ago (maybe more) I had no issues with picking up both sides of a transmission. Now we only here dispatch. Noth much else. I’ve changed scanners that isn’t the issue. They did narrow banding, would that make a difference? According to the frequency database Fayettecounty wv didn’t change frequencies. Help....

Bob1955

Hi everyone. here’s the issue. Up until about a year ago (maybe more) I had no issues with picking up both sides of a transmission. Now we only here dispatch. Noth much else. I’ve changed scanners that isn’t the issue. They did narrow banding, would that make a difference? According to the frequency database Fayettecounty wv didn’t change frequencies. Help....
jpeme1, What state do you live in and what county? Seems like you just getting the input, not the repeater.
Let me know today if possible and what scanner do you own too-make/model number? I don't think narrow banding is the issue here.

Bob-Eastchester, NY

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi there:
You may have better luck getting answers in the West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum. There's bound to be someone there who is familiar with the agency(ies) you are trying to monitor. You can click the Report link and ask to have this thread relocated to that forum if need be.

According to the frequency database Fayettecounty wv didn’t change frequencies. Help....
Keep in mind that even though the database doesn't indicate changes doesn't mean it isn't so, someone might not have submitted the info yet. The RRDB is user-driven meaning it relies on user submissions to stay up to date. They do have talkgroups in SIRN as Doc indicated above me, is this what you are having trouble monitoring?

Last edited:

Jpeme1

So I’ve come to find out we are switching to digital. Any ideas on a scanner that can receive the new radios? Also do they usually use the same freq when they switch over? I think the system is a 9600 CC Baud Digital Trunking System. If that helps??? I have no idea.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If they are switching to digital, that means they are migrating to SIRN. Frequencies will not be the same, they will be whater the SIRN sites in the area are using. They are probably already on SIRN, and rebroadcasting on the old analog frequencies, and that's why you're only hearing one side of the conversation.

Some of the SIRN sites in Fayette County are simulcast, so you should consider getting a SDS100 or SDS200.

fredva

Feed Provider
Some of the SIRN sites in Fayette County are simulcast, so you should consider getting a SDS100 or SDS200.

Can you confirm that? I'm not seeing SIRN simulcast sites for Fayette County in the database. At least one of the sites - Pax - is associated with an FCC license that includes several other SIRN towers around the state. However, I'm not seeing several towers using the same set of frequencies in close proximity to each other, which would be indicative of simulcast. I know there is a simulcast site in the northern panhandle (Ohio County Simulcast), but that is pretty distant from Fayette County.

The reason I'm checking is because it could mean the difference between the OP buying a $150 used scanner or a $650-$700 SDS scanner.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
When I was there 6 months ago I had their talkgroups on our console and radio but very little traffic was coming through, they were still full time on their analog frequencies so hopefully they're actually switching over this time. Once I head up there again in a couple months I can confirm for sure but by then I'm sure somebody will have already confirmed the switch over. Assuming it actually happens this time.

fredva

Feed Provider
I just listened to the Broadcastify feed based in Montgomery and it has the same issue as described - only dispatch being received on an analog frequency. I only heard law enforcement while I was listening. The dispatcher was talking to Montgomery PD, Oak Hill PD, and sheriff's units, but it was a one-sided conversation.

Last edited:

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I only heard law enforcement while I was listening.
To back this up I just asked a FD friend and she said they're still on the old channels, she said she doesn't know about PD. So I'm not sure when/if FD will move over. I'll update if I hear anything else.

Jpeme1

When I was there 6 months ago I had their talkgroups on our console and radio but very little traffic was coming through, they were still full time on their analog frequencies so hopefully they're actually switching over this time. Once I head up there again in a couple months I can confirm for sure but by then I'm sure somebody will have already confirmed the switch over. Assuming it actually happens this time.
To back this up I just asked a FD friend and she said they're still on the old channels, she said she doesn't know about PD. So I'm not sure when/if FD will move over. I'll update if I hear anything else.
Have you made it back around here? I’m looking into scanner options. The difference is huge between simulcast and digital
Can you confirm that? I'm not seeing SIRN simulcast sites for Fayette County in the database. At least one of the sites - Pax - is associated with an FCC license that includes several other SIRN towers around the state. However, I'm not seeing several towers using the same set of frequencies in close proximity to each other, which would be indicative of simulcast. I know there is a simulcast site in the northern panhandle (Ohio County Simulcast), but that is pretty distant from Fayette County.

The reason I'm checking is because it could mean the difference between the OP buying a $150 used scanner or a $650-$700 SDS scanner.
where would I find this info? I’m looking into scanner options. There’s a huge difference in cost.

fredva

Feed Provider
Have you made it back around here? I’m looking into scanner options. The difference is huge between simulcast and digital

where would I find this info? I’m looking into scanner options. There’s a huge difference in cost.

The choice isn't between simulcast and digital. It's digital multi-site vs. digital simulcast. Digital simulcast is difficult for most digital scanners to receive clearly. Only newer, more expensive scanners are built to properly receive simulcast. But I don't think you need one of those in your area. The WV SIRN system is primarily a digital multi-site system, with simulcast in the northern panhandle.

For whatever reason, a quick check of eBay suggests that the going price of some of the used digital scanners has increased since this thread was last active. If you decide to go with a used scanner, a Radio Shack PRO-197, PRO-106, PRO-2096, PRO-96, PRO-18, Uniden BCD996T, BCD396T, BCD996XT, and BCD396XT are some that would work with the WV SIRN digital system currently. Those are what are called Phase 1 digital scanners. I think I saw some discussion that the SIRN could turn into a Phase 2 system sometime down the road. If you wanted a future-proof scanner, you could get a newer model that handles Phase 2 digital.

Last edited:

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber

Just now seeing this, my apologies. I'm here now and can confirm that the Fayette County LE talkgroup is active with multiple departments, however FD/EMS is still on analog, I've been listening to both the past few days. I was told they recently tried using SIRN but the coverage was too poor and unreliable, specifically on fireground ops. From my understanding it sounds like it'll be a bit longer before FD/EMS switch over.

I will agree with fredva's advice. I myself don't currently own a scanner and have only ever owned one, I use radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.