Whistler_Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Kruser I'm running the latest version 3.35 on my TRX-1 & TRX-2 update site on EZ scan does same on both have had couple friends with TRX scanners try and they have same issue .

For what it's worth, my update checks are also throwing the same error now as well.
I guess I was lucky and updated when I did.

jhsands

Feed Provider
Sorry for the delay, the issue has been rectified with the server.

Code:
Is this service free?
Yes, this service is free. You can add as many domains as you like, however, don't make it excessive. If you do, we might contact you to make an arrangement.

How often do you check a cert?
The check will run at least once every 2 days, but most of the time daily.

When will you email me?
We will email you on the following events:
When you sign up, to confirm the domain(s).
If a certificate expires in:
90 days (3 months)
60 days (2 months)
30 days (1 month)
14 days (2 weeks)
7 days (1 week)
5 days
3 days
2 days
1 day
The day your certificate expires.
2 days after your certificated expired, and has not been replaced yet.
7 days after your certificated expired, and has not been replaced yet.
If we cannot connect to your site.
If we cannot connect to your site for 7 days in a row, we'll delete the check.
If you replace your certificate before it expires, we'll stop emailing you until the new certificate expires again.
We will never spam you or sell your data to a third party.

Schwartzm9039

I sent this short list to the scanner suggestion email posted above. FYI.

The TRX-1 is superior in build to the SDS Uniden platform.

1. Omit the current LCD and Keypad and replace it with a touch screen like the one used by the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2.
2. Android Development Platform internally.
3. WiFi capability; USB 3.0
4. Bluetooth connect for audio output.
5. Retain AA, Alkaline, or NiMH battery capability. The SDS-100 approach was a mistake.
6. Do not redesign based on Uniden; innovate completely, and differentiate.
7. Form factor and radio size must increase to allow for cooling and electronic enhancements.
8. IP69, 68, with sealable openings for optional increased cooling via convection flow, prompted by the electronics prior to thermal shutdown. Visual and audio alert prompting user to "open the vents."
9. Integrate FM, AM broadcast radio, and optional XM/Sirius Radio receive. SMA port for external antenna support.
10. Add a second BNC connection for 800MHZ and above, while the other is for 800MHZ and below. Yes, a scanner with two antennas, or the option to plug one BNC and go primary with the other.
11. State of the Art Windows based software interface with true drag and drop capability and object oriented intelligence fully leveraged. Android App. Mac App. Maybe Apple IoS.

Note: Issues with heat dissipation have been noted by DSLR and mirrorless camera manufacturers [and video 4K devices] in general. Their
experience in design innovation could be useful to scanner and radio design. Panasonic's recent innovation with their high end cameras involved a fan to cool the 4K UHD chipsets. Weather sealing brings challenges.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Wow, I guess my first question would be why such a short list? So I see you're new to RR this month. Welcome.

Love the radio you're proposing. You appear very knowledgeable.

I was always impressed with the GRE PSR 800 except for the fact that didn't have a keyboard which Whistler did add later, always felt it should have had one from the beginning but...

With regard to the SDS 100... The one advantage of that radio is it's the only consumer radio that can perform on simulcast without distortion secondary to LSM, something the TRX cannot do even though for some that is still arguable. So we'll just assume that this new radio would perform as well as the sds100 on let's say 700 megahertz P2 tdma simulcast. That would be a must.

As far as the battery issue with the SDS 100 the display cannot be supported by AA batteries, hence, you have the removable battery.

Looking at some of the items on your wishlist we do have to keep in mind that this would have to fit into the carcass of the trx-1, that's what Whistler has to work with, would the display that you are suggesting be able to run on AA batteries? I happen to really like the display of the trx-1, it's 10 year old technology but always thought it was bright and easy to read. The keyboard is also pretty good. I understand the drop and drag technology that you're asking for and a lot of the other features wouldn't be possible. Just can't see that being fit into a TRX 1. I think keeping the old display and keyboard would eliminate the heat disbursement warning system or the need to open the vents.

Again keeping in mind this has to go in the case of a TRX 1 it looks like you are suggesting 2 BNC and one SMA connection. Mmmm... so Bluetooth, AM/ FM and satellite radio?...

If it could be done this would be one heck of a radio, I'm wondering what price range this would be in?

What would we call this radio? I'm sure you know that Whistler did have the proposed TRX 100 which would be a simulcast capable radio to compete with SDS 100. The project was suspended as Whistler was not satisfied with the results they were getting.

I think a good name for this radio would be the TRX 1000, it's got a good ring to it. My only disappointment would be with all of these features there wouldn't be any room for the... Wafflemaker hahaha.

Let me tell you I would love to see a radio like you are proposing... I think people would pay the money which I'm sure would be a very high price tag.

Unfortunately, my County just went full encryption for police safety secondary to civil unrest of which we have none.

Having both SDS radios and Motorola equipment that I can no longer hear the police on I won't be buying any new radios from now on but yours sounds great, I love it.

PS... I did notice that you said the radio would have to be bigger. Whistler has not used any case other than the original psr-800 from GRE but I did notice you suggesting a larger radio.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If most of the things you've requested to be changed on the TRX-1 were done, I would want it less than I already do.

I sent this short list to the scanner suggestion email posted above. FYI.

The TRX-1 is superior in build to the SDS Uniden platform.
That's a broad statement. In some ways, perhaps. But overall I don't agree.

1. Omit the current LCD and Keypad and replace it with a touch screen like the one used by the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2.
2. Android Development Platform internally.
Especially when driving, but also at night, I drive the scanner blindly. Whether to pause on an incident, lock something out or whatever. I do it from feel. Touch screens don't have that feel. Operating System? Who wants all that baggage and then need to pay a license fee as well which will only increase the cost.

3. WiFi capability; USB 3.0
I wonder what specifically you're trying to acheive that doesn't already exist. I have no problem with the present USB. While it might be nicer to have a faster connection (USB3), the processor inside the TRX has its limits too.

4. Bluetooth connect for audio output.
Not something many people would use to make up for the increased cost. I'd vote that you should be able to plug a BT adapter into the USB and get your audio.

5. Retain AA, Alkaline, or NiMH battery capability. The SDS-100 approach was a mistake.
Apples and Oranges. The SDS-100 is power hungry. It's because of the topology of how it was designed. This got it to market more quickly. We'd need 6 AAs in series parallel (4.5 volts) to get 4000mAh to be equivalent of what the SDS needs. There's not a lot of good choices presently.

6. Do not redesign based on Uniden; innovate completely, and differentiate.
Physically? Logically? Operationally?
I have always liked the GRE user interface over that of Uniden. However, Uniden handles some things (like multiple sites for a single trunked system) much more eloquently.

7. Form factor and radio size must increase to allow for cooling and electronic enhancements.
One of my biggest complaints about the TRX-1 is that it doesn't use the battery holder that virtually every hand-held model before it used. Yeah that increases the case size. Just think, then you won't need that "sleeve" that comes with it. Ridiculous.

8. IP69, 68, with sealable openings for optional increased cooling via convection flow, prompted by the electronics prior to thermal shutdown. Visual and audio alert prompting user to "open the vents."
Have you had an issue with over-heating? I run these things 24/7 (which means I never get to see the clock) and haven't had that problem. I would like this to use the same case (and display) as the PSR-310.

9. Integrate FM, AM broadcast radio, and optional XM/Sirius Radio receive. SMA port for external antenna support.
10. Add a second BNC connection for 800MHZ and above, while the other is for 800MHZ and below. Yes, a scanner with two antennas, or the option to plug one BNC and go primary with the other.
Cost for little value. I want something that scans, not something that finds a broadcast signal. If you REALLY need this, then I'd vote that you use that USB port to plug it in. That device could then provide all the antenna inputs you want.

11. State of the Art Windows based software interface with true drag and drop capability and object oriented intelligence fully leveraged. Android App. Mac App. Maybe Apple IoS.
Ok, now you're talking about EZ Scan and not the TRX-1. I wrote a letter to Whistler over a year ago about how lacking their software is. They have added a lot of things I mentioned, but it seems like it was "hacked in" rather than designed into the app. I wrote a review, which they were sent a copy of my issues.

red8

I just got my Trx-1 about a week ago and I wondering how one can program Phase 2 TDMA systems? Any help would greatly appreciated.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So if I were going in to the database and wanted to program the TxWarn system, I would transfer to a scanlist?

The best way is to go to the system in EZ Scan and download it through there, select the system, sites, Talkgroups, and scanlist then import.

Attachments

• USING EZ SCAN TO IMPORT TRUNKED SYSTEMS.pdf
    733.6 KB · Views: 35

red8

I am having some issues with my trx-1. I need some help because whenever I attempt to program a system to the first scanlist it goes crazy scanning all of them. Maybe I need to know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.