Protests / Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
We will probably see them with the new P25 system.
Yup, that's what I was trying to express when I mentioned the new system. They were not able to secure channels to move into the NPSPAC band with the Nextel swap, and can only get 4 of 12 for the new system. They do use NPSPAC RINS channels for the VRS. Still noticeable interference from time to time on existing channels.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Stupid Question....Do I need to update the firmware on the 796D (Rebanding) to monitor Baltimore City? Will I still be able to listen to Anne Arundel after doing so ?
The v3_60 firmware update added the capability to receive 800 MHz rebanded Motorola systems. That is not required for the Anne Arundel system. If you update the firmware, it will have no effect on the AA system. What version firmware do you have?

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if I should be able to receive Baltimore City from the Towson area? Seems I am having some trouble.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if I should be able to receive Baltimore City from the Towson area? Seems I am having some trouble.
What radio do you have? The closest tower site is at Good Samaritan Hospital at about 9 miles SE, but I think the site on TV Hill would provide better coverage to the Towson area, but it's roughly 10 miles away - a bit of a stretch considering terrain and structures in the signal path..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Forget about the ranges I stated above - those are to Timonium. lol. It's 3.2 miles to central Towson from the Good Samaritan site, and 5.3 miles from the TV Hill site. That would be well within the range of a typical P25P1 site with an omni antenna 300' in the air for on-street coverage. But if these sites have antennas designed to shape coverage to remain more or less within city boundaries by tilting and / or directionality, it is possible the signal *may* not be receivable in Towson. Unfortunately, antenna orientation data is missing from the FCC database for this callsign. And if you are using a non-optimized radio or inappropriate antenna, you *may* not be able to receive the city system in Towson.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Anyone monitoring CMARC to see if it is being used? I sort of doubt it, but who knows.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Forget about the ranges I stated above - those are to Timonium. lol. It's 3.2 miles to central Towson from the Good Samaritan site, and 5.3 miles from the TV Hill site. That would be well within the range of a typical P25P1 site with an omni antenna 300' in the air for on-street coverage. But if these sites have antennas designed to shape coverage to remain more or less within city boundaries by tilting and / or directionality, it is possible the signal *may* not be receivable in Towson. Unfortunately, antenna orientation data is missing from the FCC database for this callsign. And if you are using a non-optimized radio or inappropriate antenna, you *may* not be able to receive the city system in Towson.
Currently I am only using the antennas that came with my rtl sdrs so I totally get that I am not receiving anything. I also am sorta discouraged from having any external antennas so maybe a discone in the attic is a alternative?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Currently I am only using the antennas that came with my rtl sdrs so I totally get that I am not receiving anything. I also am sorta discouraged from having any external antennas so maybe a discone in the attic is a alternative?
What software are you using?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Have you checked all of Baltimore's control channels? It may have rolled. I use sdr# to verify (and find) control channels.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Yes and it seems I have some signal but a lot of lost bits.
Edit: Upped the gain and seems I am now receiving but still getting sync loss. Also seems my second monitor cable was hitting the USB cable. Weird thing is that it has not affected other systems I monitor.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yes and it seems I have some signal but a lot of lost bits.
Edit: Upped the gain and seems I am now receiving but still getting sync loss. Also seems my second monitor cable was hitting the USB cable. Weird thing is that it has not affected other systems I monitor.
I have never used SDR Trunk, so I cannot evaluate how well it handles simulcast and LSM. You are more or less equidistant and not exceedingly far from at least two tower sites, so I am suspicious. Maybe there is some local interference. What SDRs do you own, and have they been calibrated for ppm error?

firebal

Premium Subscriber
I have never used SDR Trunk, so I cannot evaluate how well it handles simulcast and LSM. You are more or less equidistant and not exceedingly far from at least two tower sites, so I am suspicious. Maybe there is some local interference. What SDRs do you own, and have they been calibrated for ppm error?
Seems that upping the gain and turning of the extra monitor did the trick.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Seems that upping the gain and turning of the extra monitor did the trick.
Yea, I was up north of Baltimore today, no problem receiving the Baltimore City system at the Carver Center in Towson. Good signal on I-83 North until Timonium Road where it begins to degrade. I did notice considerable noise according to the SDS200; not sure what that actually measures. Some amount of D-error as well. UT2 showed a 100% decode rate, and ~-50dB RSSI, which is a strong signal at the Carver Center.

Meanwhile, a peaceful protest is going on right now in Annapolis; several streets in the vicinity of Forest Drive and Chinquapin Round Road and into downtown closed. The usual Annapolis tgs on the AACo system in use.

Noticed several MSP Tac pickups with license plate readers deployed on the roads today.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Marchers are making their way to the State House; DGS / MCP - Annapolis tg on FIRST active. They usually patch that with a MD Tac 2 for events in Annapolis, not seeing that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.