Fathers day gift ... Whistler WS1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubly32

Premium Subscriber
My Father has wanted a digital scanner for awhile now, so I bucked up and ordered him one for fathers day. Now I'm somewhat computer savvy, but in the world of digital scanners I'm clueless. I'm trying to program his scanner to listen to our local PD. Coral Springs, Florida police department. I've purchased a subscription, downloaded necessary software (PSRedit500). I just cannot get any frequencies to work, I've been able to upload numerous channels onto the radio via the usb cable and software, just none seem to pickup signal. However I do not see Coral Springs police department as an option.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Coral Springs, Florida police department.
Here's a link to that system:

It requires a Phase 2 scanner.

Your scanner is a Phase 1 scanner.

"The WS1040 is an updated version of the popular GRE PSR500 which was rebranded when Whistler acquired GRE in 2013. The WS1040 is the only handheld phase 1 digital police scanner radio left on the market. As all communication in the U.S. is moving (most has already moved) to digital phase 2, we highly, recommend buying a phase 2 scanner. "

WS1040 Police Scanner | Whistler Phase 1 Digital Scanner Radio

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just to be clear, while the Coral Springs system is listed, in the database, as Phase II, if the database is correct, that city uses P25 Phase I talkgroups, As long as they stay Phase I, the WS1040 may work. Fort Lauderdale also shows to be using Phase I. Plantation, on this same system, is apparently using Phase II talkgroups, which is signified by the T in the mode column, so you cannot monitor them.

However, there may be another issue in play. While the Coral Springs site is not listed as Simulcast, it appears that it actually is. Here is a map of the sites:

Simulcast can cause a scanner to either sound garbled when listening, or even keep the scanner from receiving it at all. See this Wiki article for more on Simulcast.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

I would suggest that you request your thread be moved to the Florida forum. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there. They might also be able to confirm whether simulcast is indeed being used.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Looking at the system in message 2, multiple towers with same frequencies = simulcast. Dont get the whistler, they dont normally do well at all in that situation, too much signal cant handle it. Look at the current Uniden line instead and also they are phase II capable.
Granted your performance may vary say if your very close to one of the towers helps.

See WS1040/WS1065 vs Simulcast 800

bubly32

Premium Subscriber
I have an ARC500 file with Coral Springs and Fort Lauderdale. If you download and install Butel ARC500 for the free trial period, you will be able to program the scanner.

I would appreciate that greatly, how can I go about getting this ARC500 file.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I live local and CAN CONFIRM that Coral Springs/Fort Lauderdale/Plantation is on their OWN P25 Phase II System which uses simulcast and is totally independent of the Broward County System. PM me and I can give you any assistance you like. I'm a local Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic and a Broadcastify feed provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.