• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeater Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5XPM

I normally focus on LMR solutions, but for what I understand about this project, I would consider the Motorola TLK LTE radios, which I believe also work on WiFi. I have no commercial interest in Motorola, but have no hesitation to recommending the best solution based on the information available.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I normally focus on LMR solutions, but for what I understand about this project, I would consider the Motorola TLK LTE radios, which I believe also work on WiFi.

Yeah, there's cheaper/easier ways than trying to build your own LMR system from scratch with little/no knowledge. I don't get the impression that the O/P is understanding what we are telling him about frequency coordination and licensing. Ongoing costs will be high and coverage will be low. I've seen a few installs where people spend money first and then try to play catch up with frequency coordination and licensing later. Doesn't always end well.
But all we can do is supply the info. It's up to the individual to follow it.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
We put a guy on a roof of a local business on the highest mid point and gave him a kenwood and knock off 25 watt mobile. The kenwood 5 watts still had trouble. The knock off 25 watt which we know is not true 25 watt got inside all buildings.

Keep in mind that good communication requires readability in BOTH directions. You note that the 25 watt mobile "got inside all buildings", but were the handhelds able to talk back to the 25 watt mobile reliably from inside the buildings?

N5XPM

Keep in mind that good communication requires readability in BOTH directions. You note that the 25 watt mobile "got inside all buildings", but were the handhelds able to talk back to the 25 watt mobile reliably from inside the buildings?

The 25 watt mobile test described soft of works for one-way paging type of systems, but misses the portable talk back as you indicate, as well as incoming signal loss through duplexers on the receive side of an actual repeater, etc.

njt462

I do understand that before anything is installed or used a frequency coordinator has to do their part, and fcc license granted. Im not about to have feds knocking on illegal transmission or what we think is a quiet frequency that gets ugly quick. Lol

What I mean by hobby is think of what I'm trying to do no different than a ham install just it will be used for business back up. I do understand it is very time, labor, and on going involved.

To get back to some questions asked. The site location is the highest point in the city. I know higher is better. At that location the 5 watt to 5 watt could hit each other outside but not in. When the 25 watt was fired up with believe it our not just a small 36 inch uhf antenna it got into the buildings and the 5 watt hit the 36 inch antenna just fine to be able to understand.

Yes the longer the cord and the more you jump through on equipment wattage will go down. Given my skill set its at risk of higher % of loss so yes if 25 did this 40 to 50 should work i would think to factor in the loss.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
A simple ham install is done with Elmer's and by hams that have proven they know and understand 2way radio electronics not just a simple hobby person that probably does not know what ohms law is or how to figure the equations that make it up. You have been given the best free advice from people hear that do this for a living and will not make one penny out of this. If a heart Doctor told you every step to putting heart stints in would you op to do it your self?
The last simple Ham Repeater that was put in here was done by a Extra that has been a ham over 30 years.

njt462

@buddrousa Your right people do this for a living, but there a few things to keep in mind. When it comes to hams and radio techs being a "dying" breed you are a prime example of why. Someone takes an interest or has ideas and what they are thinking and you come here to blast. This attitude is the exact reason why I have located a frequency coordinator over 65 miles from me. Because, I was going to use the local one until with the very first simple question I was told "shut up pay me 24K dont worry about it been doing this for decades kid."

Well you may be comfortable handing over a 24K check to a person that tells you to f off and hope for the best that is your choice. But, if I am going to pay a dollar I want to see if my ideas are right or not. To even think I am trying to do this with no money or no thanks for the advice proves my point of why this hobby is a dying breed. Ass hats that just want the money and go or worse yet what if they close down, die, or something and I am stuck with a radio system that I paid for, but can't even tell you have to turn it on.

Now, if anyone else on this thread that actually gave information feels that was used and applied to my testing if they would like $20 for advice that actually worked on my end feel free to private message me your name and address, and I have no problem to send a business check to you. 99% of you have been very helpful.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
FYI I am a 62YOM I have a Electronics Degree, I am a Ham, I have worked in a and still help at a 2Way Shop, I am a NREMT and a 37 year Fulltime Firefighter that also works in the Security Industry.
What you have been told is do it correct it will take less time and less money. The first FC you did the right thing drop him and find someone else.
Good luck on getting your system up and running and meeting your needs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This attitude is the exact reason why I have located a frequency coordinator over 65 miles from me. Because, I was going to use the local one until with the very first simple question I was told "shut up pay me 24K dont worry about it been doing this for decades kid."

Frequency coordination should cost you a few hundred bucks. And you would be required to use one of the established coordinators:
click on the "frequency coordinator" tab. If anyone is trying to charge you $24K for coordination, you are getting ripped off big time. If they are claiming to be a "local coordinator", then they are trying to take advantage of you by acting as a middle man and greatly marking up the price. You should be paying somewhere in the $600 range for a frequency pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.