Looking for frequencies:

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
@Pendragon1991
Need is a very strong word. No you do not NEED an SDS200/100... however you will be a lot happier with one. Just about everything in the Detroit metro is on some kind of simulcast. If you do not get a scanner that has been designed with simulcast in mind, there will be a lot of multipath distortion due to the number of towers the simulcast systems in our area use.

Since multipath distortion is at the heart of this thread... think of it like this.... a simulcast system uses multiple towers broadcasting the exact same thing at the same time on all the towers. Your scanner receives all those signals at a slightly different time (think fractions of milliseconds) due to the different distance between you and the various towers. The scanner gets overloaded, cant decode the digital signal since its a jumbled mess, and a jumbled mess is a good description of what you hear over the scanner with multipath distortion. While some of the scanners are okay at handling that... the SDS was specifically built to address that issue which had been very prominent in the scanner industry for years.

I have owned several scanners over the past 10 years. None of them have handled simulcast well, especially the Detroit simulcast, due to the number of towers in use. More towers = more simulcast distortion. While I don't personally own an SDS I have used them and they work the best so far.

On a side note there are videos on youtube that will show you how to setup just about any scanner out there.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So all in all i do not necessarily need the SD200 i could get away with the 536hp Correct ?
Do you feel lucky?

Do you?

Depending on your exact location, the 536 might work. But more likely, you will have problems receiving at least one simulcast system. Each one is pretty much a coin flip. Get the right tool for the job, and the odds will be ever in your favor.

Pendragon1991

Do you feel lucky?

Do you?

Depending on your exact location, the 536 might work. But more likely, you will have problems receiving at least one simulcast system. Each one is pretty much a coin flip. Get the right tool for the job, and the odds will be ever in your favor.
LOL, your right. screwed up once already. SDS200 it is....

Reactions: wtp

W8RIT

Regardless of what others say...your current analog scanner still can have a purpose. No, it won't fit the bill for the requirements of who you want to listen to, that a digital trunk tracking scanner will be needed. ...or...a SDR with software such as SDR# (sharp, like in musical notation) with DSD+, or I have just recently discovered some other software... sdrtrunk (found on github) and with that free software and a $30 SDR (with optional dipole antennas) will work for you. A RR subscription will allow you to import frequencies and talkgroups for systems.

Pendragon1991

SO let me ask this... If i go ahead and get the SDS200 Will i be able to listen to the MPSCS P25 and the
@Pendragon1991
Need is a very strong word. No you do not NEED an SDS200/100... however you will be a lot happier with one. Just about everything in the Detroit metro is on some kind of simulcast. If you do not get a scanner that has been designed with simulcast in mind, there will be a lot of multipath distortion due to the number of towers the simulcast systems in our area use.

Since multipath distortion is at the heart of this thread... think of it like this.... a simulcast system uses multiple towers broadcasting the exact same thing at the same time on all the towers. Your scanner receives all those signals at a slightly different time (think fractions of milliseconds) due to the different distance between you and the various towers. The scanner gets overloaded, cant decode the digital signal since its a jumbled mess, and a jumbled mess is a good description of what you hear over the scanner with multipath distortion. While some of the scanners are okay at handling that... the SDS was specifically built to address that issue which had been very prominent in the scanner industry for years.

I have owned several scanners over the past 10 years. None of them have handled simulcast well, especially the Detroit simulcast, due to the number of towers in use. More towers = more simulcast distortion. While I don't personally own an SDS I have used them and they work the best so far.

On a side note there are videos on youtube that will show you how to setup just about any scanner out there.
Awsome, I do not have the time or the experience to get a lesser scanner "to work" in a simulcast environment. For me it has to be almost a plug and play, or a plug, minimal programming and play setup. I fully understand the concept of programming but i am used to programming LOGICS 5000 automation logic through ethernet so all these frequencies and abbreviation in the scanning word i do not understand fully yet. The decision has been made that when i have the finances to allow it i will get the SDS200 if nothing else but to simplify my life.

Pendragon1991

Regardless of what others say...your current analog scanner still can have a purpose. No, it won't fit the bill for the requirements of who you want to listen to, that a digital trunk tracking scanner will be needed. ...or...a SDR with software such as SDR# (sharp, like in musical notation) with DSD+, or I have just recently discovered some other software... sdrtrunk (found on github) and with that free software and a $30 SDR (with optional dipole antennas) will work for you. A RR subscription will allow you to import frequencies and talkgroups for systems.
I have sent the BCT15x back to the seller this morning. Once i get the refund for this i'll be looking for a SDS200. i'm leery about spending that much money on a used SDS200 unit with no guaranty or warranty and a new one is $699.99. So i guess my next thread should be where is the best / cheapest place to buy a SDS200

kd8ati

Feed Provider
do a google search for "SDS200 scanner" ... basically any of those first 5 or 6 results are good
Uniden Store
Amazon
Scannermaster
Bearcatwarehouse
Hamradiooutlet
UniversalRadio

Status
Not open for further replies.