New to SDR, checking in

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I don't know, my spider sense is tingling on this one. I kind of got a feeling that this might be a Windows 10 S unit, even though the description doesn't say much about it being S, Home, or Pro. If its Windows 10 S, you aren't going to be able to run any SDR applications on it without converting it to a full blown Windows 10 install, and that will probably eat up a extremely large chunk of that 32GB "ROM", which I'm assuming they mean an eMMC storage block.
It's probably the free version of Windows 10 for devices with a screen smaller than 9 inches. I have an older version of the PIPO with Win 8 that I use on my TV.

jmayson

Database Admin
I don't know, my spider sense is tingling on this one. I kind of got a feeling that this might be a Windows 10 S unit, even though the description doesn't say much about it being S, Home, or Pro. If its Windows 10 S, you aren't going to be able to run any SDR applications on it without converting it to a full blown Windows 10 install, and that will probably eat up a extremely large chunk of that 32GB "ROM", which I'm assuming they mean an eMMC storage block.

I saw something that said Windows 10 Home and not S. I guess I'll find out soon enough. :)

mbott

Premium Subscriber
As much as it pains me to say, for SDR support you would be hard pressed to find an OS that is better than Windows. My personal preference is Linux, but to support 3 of the 4 SDRs I routinely use requires Windows. I do keep an older release of Linux Mint (19.3) on one laptop that I run GQRX on with an Airspy HF+.

--
Mike

jmayson

Database Admin
I decided my own menu was superfluous when I could just use shortcuts on my desktop. Works great.

Screenshot 2020-09-18 164841.png

Status
Not open for further replies.