San Bernardino County P25 and rebanded systems

Eng74

That’s a nice thing about the SDS radios. You can have the tag and the number on separate lines and chitchat things. Also you can get lucky and hear the BC going into a reserve unit and log it.

Paysonscanner

I'm thinking that Trona site would probably be at Slate Peak, right?

Oops! I didn't see this post till now. Yes, late Hubby and I visited Slate about 4 years ago. There is a ham repeater there, I think owned by the ham radio club in Ridgecrest. The county is licensed for there. It's actually a few miles into Inyo County. While we were there a 800 meg San Berdo frequency blasted our handheld in a conventional/simplex mode. We spent about a week bumming around on the west slope of the Panamint Range. We found the place Charlie Manson was arrested, even though we weren't looking for it.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
How do you know you have too much time, you start tagging all the SBCoFD radio ids.

I have tagged SBDCO Fire ID's like six months ago for a small project and its hard to keep them right since radios change like portables and vehicles change and repairs to radios. I had a hard time keeping them straight and updated properly. I got frustrated and gave up trying.

What I do is just ID the dispatcher consoles. Those never change

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
What I do is just ID the dispatcher consoles. Those never change

Well..... not really :LOL: Was out in the desert yesterday and it appears the ID's for Confire changed, as if they might have upgraded to consoles from their dozens of consolettes. this is what I got so far:

16002002 2 DISP 1, 3 DISP 2, and Comm Center.
16002004 2 CMD 1
16002005 2 CMD 3
16024006 3 CMD 6
16024007 3 CMD 6, 3 CMD 7, 2 CMD 1
16024009 2 CMD 5, 3 CMD 9

would love to learn more about their setup..

avdrummerboy

For years now I've been attempting to understand how SBDcO sets up ID's. To me it seems that they just randomly assign numbers to radios as they go out, I've never really seen any rhyme or reason behind it.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
For years now I've been attempting to understand how SBDcO sets up ID's. To me it seems that they just randomly assign numbers to radios as they go out, I've never really seen any rhyme or reason behind it.

same. Barstow ME361 has ID's in about 3 or 4 different banks just for the engine... I think it is random.

f40ph

Feed Provider
RADIO IDs:
They used to be very organized with portables in the 73xxxx series and mobiles in the 71xxxx series but that was a very long time ago. I guess those numbers filled up and now it seems VERY random. In fact, today I'm seeing portables with numbers that were exclusively mobiles years ago. They are assigned by County ISD. I suppose it's just like phone numbers - as long as they're different, it's all good.

CONSOLE IDs:
All Law and Fire consoles have been updated to the latest Motorola (I think it's the MCC 7500 but don't blow me up if I got it wrong). All IDs seem to be as noted in the post above and below. I have yet to see rhyme or reason but I'm sure you could at least narrow down which ones are used by Ontario FD dispatch, Ontario PD dispatch, Sheriff Valley, Sheriff Desert, CONFIRE valley dispatch, etc.

Last edited:

pcorrin

Premium Subscriber
Ok so here is how ID assignments go when radios are added to the county system. Find an available one that is not currently assigned to any other serial numbered radio on the system. Thats it. Sometimes there will be a block of new ones for new apx radios and they will go in sequential order. Other times an ID will get pulled out of an old mcs2000 no longer in service, checked if already assigned, no, use it, assign it to the serial number of a different radio.

Eng74

Been getting Ontario Fire again on El Paso the last few days, but no SBCoFD. They changed their dispatch radio id’s.
16019001, 16019002, 16019003, and 16019004 are showing.

Eng74

That’s the one thing that is killing me with this system. It can go silent for a week or so and then sometimes I am getting SBCoFD and then everyone.

Eng74

Interesting was using my 396XT and had the SBCo VHF group turned on and the P25 was silent again from El Paso site but the VHF was active. Then the next morning the P25 was active and nothing on the VHF.