SDRTrunk Sdr trunk install

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Where can I find information on how to install on a windows 10 machine? Everything I see is for linux.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME

Scroll down to 6. Enhancements, right under there you'll see Assets, just click that and then you'll see a downloadable zip for Windows.

Or you might be able to use this link directly, not sure if Github allows for hotlinking.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I tried to install this on my Windows 10 laptop back in the early spring. As I recall, a PATH statement is required for the program to run. I tried to write that (I learned how in the DOS days) but couldn't get it to work.

Does anyone have an idea of what might have gone wrong? The program seems pretty interesting and I'd like to get it running. If there's a YouTube video that might help, I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Well, there are these I found just by typing 'installing sdr trunk windows' right into youtube. Can't vouch for them though since I use the Linux version.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME

There is also this, but its for 0.4.0 and 0.3.0 but for 0.5 alpha, I think you need Java 11 or equivalent.

air-scan

Where can I find information on how to install on a windows 10 machine? Everything I see is for linux.
No Java required for 0.5.0 alpha 2 onward.

Windows 10 Instructions:
Download and extract it. Navigate to the bin folder and click sdr-trunk.bat
If you're decoding P25 systems you need JMBE. Then navigate the menus
View > User Preferences > JMBE Audio Library > Create Library. It'll tell you an update is available just click Yes then a new window appears click create library then it asks if you want to continue click yes. It will then create the library then a new pop up saying Success! just press ok
you're done with that part. That's all you need to do for installation.

Create a desktop shortcut to sdr-trunk.bat. That's the file that's going to start SDRTrunk. No command lines needed on your part (don't hamper with the bat file!). You're systems are configured within the Playlist editor and radios started in the Channel tab within the Playlist editor. RadioReference premium works well. You may set you're favorite systems to autostart when SDRTrunk is loaded. It doesn't have a hold on talk group function yet. I recommend you mute talk groups you don't want to hear and those you value the higher priority a lower value in Aliases tab.

Last edited:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I finally got around to trying this. I had held off for a long time as the one and only P25 Phase I system I am in range of is 30+ miles distant. I finally decided to try it today. Install for Windows 10 is exactly as air-scan describes it above. After getting over the hurdles of ME (like forgetting my Airspy was already running with SDR# in the background so I couldn't see it as a tuner in SDRTrunk) it was up and running pretty fast. I am impressed with the audio quality. The only thing I've heard that equals it at this time is the P25RX receiver. With a pretty weak signal here it sounds fantastic.

air-scan

I finally got around to trying this. I had held off for a long time as the one and only P25 Phase I system I am in range of is 30+ miles distant. I finally decided to try it today. Install for Windows 10 is exactly as air-scan describes it above. After getting over the hurdles of ME (like forgetting my Airspy was already running with SDR# in the background so I couldn't see it as a tuner in SDRTrunk) it was up and running pretty fast. I am impressed with the audio quality. The only thing I've heard that equals it at this time is the P25RX receiver. With a pretty weak signal here it sounds fantastic.
SDRTrunk is my "goto" for the APCO P25 PII TDMA system here. I really enjoy the sound quality of the JMBE library in SDRTrunk. Glad you're enjoying it as well.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Hi all... I too am looking to use SDRTrunk to monitor my local FDs TGs on our county's 850 MHz P25PII system (my project for Thanksgiving week, though I've had the RTL-SDR dongles since last August). Question: will SDRTrunk monitor the system with one dongle (3.9375 MHz between lowest and highest frequencies)? If so, can I set it up to monitor that system with one dongle and the statewide and neighboring agency's VHF analog freqs on the other?

Thanks!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Hi all... I too am looking to use SDRTrunk to monitor my local FDs TGs on our county's 850 MHz P25PII system (my project for Thanksgiving week, though I've had the RTL-SDR dongles since last August). Question: will SDRTrunk monitor the system with one dongle (3.9375 MHz between lowest and highest frequencies)? If so, can I set it up to monitor that system with one dongle and the statewide and neighboring agency's VHF analog freqs on the other?

Thanks!
No, you'll need more than one dongle for that. SDRTrunk doesn't allow for using one dongle unless the range is within what the dongle supports. Those RTL-SDR dongles will usually do 2.048 Mhz.

air-scan

You can try 1 dongle but you'll see these things happen:

1)Missed transmissions
2)Audio artifacts
3)SDRTrunk command prompt window displays no tuner available for frequency xxx.xxxx

Best to use 2 or more dongles.

Before I forget, SDRTrunk needs 2-dongles at 2.4msps each for that system that is 3.9mhz wide. Small percentage of spectrum is not used by SDRTrunk. Always give ample headroom for bandwidth when using SDRTrunk on large systems like that.

Last edited:

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
If I'm not mistaken, you can use one dongle on a Phase I system, but with Phase II, you have to use two dongles.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
I got it working today on both my old windows 7 laptop and on my Mac-air. The sound quality is awesome. I have one question at the moment. I hear a popping noise before each transmission. It’s a p25 2 system. Happened on both operating systems. And I know it’s not the laptop sounds. Tried that. Any idea how to get rid of it ? I searched Google etc before asking the question. Thanks
Alec

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
I got it working today on both my old windows 7 laptop and on my Mac-air. The sound quality is awesome. I have one question at the moment. I hear a popping noise before each transmission. It’s a p25 2 system. Happened on both operating systems. And I know it’s not the laptop sounds. Tried that. Any idea how to get rid of it ?
I can't recall if its turned on by default, but there is a "Insert Tone" option that will play a "pop" or "boop" sound before each transmission. If on the Version 5 Alpha series releases, go to "View" and "User Preferences". You can then turn it on or off, test and change the tone under the "Output/Tones" page.

EindhovenOne

No Java required for 0.5.0 alpha 2 onward.

Windows 10 Instructions:
Download and extract it. Navigate to the bin folder and click sdr-trunk.bat
If you're decoding P25 systems you need JMBE. Then navigate the menus
View > User Preferences > JMBE Audio Library > Create Library. It'll tell you an update is available just click Yes then a new window appears click create library then it asks if you want to continue click yes. It will then create the library then a new pop up saying Success! just press ok
you're done with that part. That's all you need to do for installation.

Create a desktop shortcut to sdr-trunk.bat. That's the file that's going to start SDRTrunk. No command lines needed on your part (don't hamper with the bat file!). You're systems are configured within the Playlist editor and radios started in the Channel tab within the Playlist editor. RadioReference premium works well. You may set you're favorite systems to autostart when SDRTrunk is loaded. It doesn't have a hold on talk group function yet. I recommend you mute talk groups you don't want to hear and those you value the higher priority a lower value in Aliases tab.

Unfortulatey nothing opens/runs when I click the batch file. I am on a Win10 32-bit system (or rather, that is the system I am using to monitor our MPT trunking system to try to find an issue) and am somewhat stuck. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Unfortulatey nothing opens/runs when I click the batch file. I am on a Win10 32-bit system (or rather, that is the system I am using to monitor our MPT trunking system to try to find an issue) and am somewhat stuck. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Minimum System Requirements

• Operating System: Windows (32 or 64-bit), Linux (32 or 64-bit) or Mac/Linux (64-bit, 10.14 or higher)
  • CPU: 4-core
  • RAM: 8GB or more (preferred). Depending on usage, 4GB may be sufficient.
32 Bit support was dropped. Might be able to find one of the older versions and get that to work, but it won't have DMR support or any of the newer stuff. Not even going to ask why you are running Windows 10 32-bit.

air-scan

It's x64 bit only that's why it won't run on your 32 bit version of Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.