• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to setup Radio Management for a small department BASIC INFO NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimgoss

Feed Provider
I've been researching the radio management for APX online and would love to try to get it for my FD. We just got 30+ 8000xe's and I've been coming across tweaks to the codeplugs which require me to round up all the radios, hook them up and do each one. My question, could I set up RM on one PC and have an APX7000 portable connected for the control station or use the station wifi to do OTA programming while in the station? It seems all the references I find online don't really explain what actual PHYSICAL equipment you need to accomplish OTA programming with a single PC installation of all the RM software. It seems it can be set up on just a single PC acting as the RM server and programming station. I don't need a server-client multi location system, just a simple way to OTA program codeplug changes. It seems this can be done but it need to be explained in simple terms. Am I way off here thinking this can be done without needing to buy special equipment or pay for additional RM subscriptions from Motorola??

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Do you have Wifi enabled in the radios? That would be the easiest way to accomplish it.

I'm setting up a small dept (approx 140 radios) and we are setting up Fire with Wifi programming as their load changes yearly (or more), while the PD codeplug hasn't changed in five years other than occasional ID changes, so they'll be running over USB.

To answer a portion of your question, yes, you can run one computer that has RM server, RM client, Job Processor, and Device Programmer all on it, with no issue. If you watched the videos, it's a supported (and very common) configuration.

We're conventional analog, so I can't speak to POP25, but I believe you need Astro IV&D setup to make it work. Above my paygrade (at this point in my career).

jimgoss

Feed Provider
Is WiFi an option or a default feature? We just bought all band APX 8000xe radios I know they have BT but would need to check on the WiFi. For WiFi I would not need to rely on a control point radio broadcasting the updates over the air? I assume I would just need an IP address

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
It's a paid option, depends. Do you have the clamshell?

Otherwise, Data Configuration->Data Wide->WiFi->WiFi Enable, set up a temporary SSID for testing, see if you can write it to the radio without a Flashcode error or check the flashcode used/purchased fields.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
The plastic case the new radios arrive in, that has the options printed on it.

Also used for AA battery packs (that firefighters love to order and never use!)

jimgoss

Feed Provider
Oh. That’s a high tech piece of equipment. Nope they’re all gone. But I do have access to the codeplug so I can check it there.

jimgoss

Feed Provider
All I see in data config>data wide is general, NAT list, Datat protocol config, port config. Also for options and expansion board all I see there is BT and OB01. I think I’m out of luck.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
I use RM in a distributed architecture. (Separate server) from RM Client and Device Monitor. (I will be managing around 2K radios) I am using both WiFi and USB to program radios.

OTA requires IV&D infrastructure and licensing.

In your example, I see no issue with using a single PC as server, RM Client and device monitor. Larger fleets will bog down a single machine. (Hence the reason I use a separate server/job processor.)

I would suggest using a second PC as a device monitor. If you write a programming job (EX 40 radios), you can download the job on your 2nd Device Monitor PC and work off line. Leave this PC at a secure but centralized location. The users can connect to the radio at their leisure. No action by user other than connecting programming cable to radio/PC and waiting until programming is complete. (Totally hands off) Think of it as a programming kiosk. The application operates at start up and does not require PC to be unlocked. With this architecture, you don't need to leave your primary PC out of your physical control.

When the radio have been programmed, bring that remote device monitor back on line (Network communication) with primary PC and all of the actions will be sync'd back up. If they missed 2 radios, you will see this in RM.

Additional notes. Motorola APX CPS supports RM for 100 radios "free". (I know it is hard to fathom the words "Motorola" and "free" in the same sentence!) If you manage more radios than 100, you will need to purchase license entitlements. Also Motorola is moving away from customer premise infrastructure to a hosted solution. I will stop there before I hop on my soapbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.