• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

20 plus talking range back in the day now cant talk across town...why

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6EEN

The filter is interesting and to be honest I have never seen one..
They've been around a long time. Mostly used by the amateur radio "multi-operator HF contesting" crowd, where you have a few radios set up all near each other in a room operating different bands in a competition setting, one 80 meters, one 40 meters, one 20 meters, one 10 meters, etc. Each operating position has a bandpass filter for the band to which the radio is tuned. Keeps the radios/antennas in close proximity from interfering with one another. But the bandpass filters can be useful when there is a lot of HF junk and you want to attenuate all out-of-band noise to maximize your in-band receiver sensitivity. If all you have between the antenna and your IF filter is the RF front end on a cheap CB radio, adding some external RF bandpass filtering can improve the receive capability.

Link to HF contesting definition:
Contesting (a.k.a. Radiosport)

Last edited:

slowmover

I have the 411cb and consider a bandpass filter on 11m as essential in the mobile.

There are other brands to also consider.

I’m going to try others as well.

The other item (and has precedence) is the WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH DSP SPEAKER.

That piece of Amateur gear (DSP) badly, badly needed in 11m.

Will change your life.

Retroradio

Ive run a three different external DSPs on HF and they worked very well but what I found for me that it was just more playing to find the setting and albeit it helped but the change in tonality of the sending station bothered me.
After awhile just shelved them. I didn’t find them to be the silver bullet I had hoped for.

K6EEN

I have the 411cb and consider a bandpass filter on 11m as essential in the mobile.
I'm curious what the 11 meter bandpass filter does for your mobile install. The noisiest thing in my various HF/CB mobile installations over the years has been ignition and fuel pump noise from my own vehicle at S1 to S3 levels, not strong out-of-band stuff. But I really only operate HF mobile or CB on the open interstate (desert southwest) and not around town, so there's not a lot of RF noise sources in the middle of the desert. I imagine if you're driving around a big metro area with the CB on, some extra RF bandpass filtering could be very helpful.

slowmover

I'm curious what the 11 meter bandpass filter does for your mobile install. The noisiest thing in my various HF/CB mobile installations over the years has been ignition and fuel pump noise from my own vehicle at S1 to S3 levels, not strong out-of-band stuff. But I really only operate HF mobile or CB on the open interstate (desert southwest) and not around town, so there's not a lot of RF noise sources in the middle of the desert. I imagine if you're driving around a big metro area with the CB on, some extra RF bandpass filtering could be very helpful.

All’s I can truly say is that desperation is the mother of acquisition.

One can get relatively good performance in a Class 8 fleet-spec truck. But the relativity isn’t with personal vehicle much less base station installations.

Same radio installed in all three makes a bigger jump to the former than the former does to the latter.

I figure that “if” competing signals are attenuated, then 11-Meter ought to be easier in which to control “noise”.

The MO411cb isn’t a change on par with a West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker but it does clear several species in the underbrush.

I probably have $90-$100 in ferrites in any given radio stack configuration (and including those outboard to it).

Is it the equivalent in cost-effectiveness? Close enough.

Current stack is:

1). Radio
2). PALOMAR ENGINEERS cmnf-500 coax filter
3). RM ITALY KL-203
4). MORGAN 411cb band pass
5). Co-phase coax harness with both ft240 -31 & -61 toroids wound into it.

I’m willing to try what’ll work. With 2-3 other systems to complete (all in some phase of work ongoing), supply and gear budget is open.

Anyone else gone thru a 1,000-count zip-ty package this past year?

Oh, and as I’ve never put on a mask for anyone, anywhere (moral cowardice not my style), I also don’t have it muffling TX.

Status
Not open for further replies.