30.84 DES

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtp

the old police call book has it as low power business.
maybe look for someone walking around with a thick fishing pole.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I had no idea until recently that Motorola Syntor X Low band Radios could operate DES. I think it could be CUBA or could be someone operating "under the radar".

Truman Annex has a ton of receiving antennas pointed toward Cuba. One can only guess why.

Back in the 80's the bands opened up and you could watch Cuban broadcast TV in Miami. It was quite exciting. The local anti-Castro newscasters claimed that Fidel had turned up the power to blast the US.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
Very weak but consistent in Marathon. Never heard it in Key West. If it's a domestic bootlegger that's even more interesting.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You should record the sound and compare with Securenet baseband (encrypted) recordings which are available on the internet. If it is 12 KBps Securenet DES, DVP (or Fascinator) there is a distinctive 6 KHz sound at the end of transmission. If it is a military transmission it would be a 16 KBps and the EOT would be around 8 KHz, or perhaps inaudible.

The use of 30.84 MHz implies someone pirating or perhaps from CUBA. Do you hear transmissions at different signal levels or just one station?

ericcarlson

Database Admin
It has a morse code identifier at :00 and :30. The signal strength implies I'm receiving the base station. If I got the morse right it's WGBT706, which is not a current active license.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It may be one of those NTIA callsigns, but they are usually 3x3. Can you record the ID and post it here so that some CW expert can decode it? Or use a smartphone APP to decode it? I usually have to write them out and try to fit it into a solution.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Very weak but consistent in Marathon. Never heard it in Key West. If it's a domestic bootlegger that's even more interesting.
yes it is!
30.84 is one of the long time 2 watt fast food freqs for every mcdonalds and burger king and everything in between. It appears to be one of the first freq for the list of business channels so thats where I'd assume a bootlegger would take their first pick but a lowband station with DES on the old fast food freqs. That is interesting but thats where I'd expect to be if one was a lowband pirate.

But a bootlegged station that broadcasting an ID? I dont know about that but theres been stupider
I wonder if its coming from the bahamas
Try to block the signal in a crap experiment way and see if you can pinpoint at least some sort of direction or eliminate others, but its lowband so what do I know

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

I looked in one of Kneitel's old, TOP SECRET US frequency books and that frequency is not listed. Maybe some later frequency book might have record of an NTIA assignment.

The CW ID might be different than what the OP is hearing. A good recording might help decipher it.

W3DMV

You have the call incorrect. ND5Y has it correct above,
That call belongs to a 800Mhz trunked system belonging to the "State Of Florida"
with transmitters located at: Dredges Key, Big Pine, Marathon, and Plantation Key.
Perhaps your receiving set-up has a problem, or one of their transmitter does. Have
you tried a second receiver?
The Marathon transmitter is listed as being located at 2798 Overseas Highway...

RFI-EMI-GUY

Ugh may be an image from SLERS.

What receiver are you using? IF frequency?

I was hoping it was a secret comm channel for shipping fast food by Cigarette Boat from Marathon to Raul Castro.

Years ago my XYL and I were hanging out at key west Harbor House/Inn and a huge black Cigarette boat motors up with all kinds of antennas and a DF array. The crew looked pretty scruffy and the boat had no markings. Good Guys, Bad Guys, Both?? Another time, at St John USVI I spotted a huge luxury yacht that had dozens of antenna sticks. Very professionally done, clean luxuriously appointed, but why so many antennas? MI-6??

Status
Not open for further replies.