Defect Detector Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
I like it! I will start collecting some and send them on.

Might I suggest that you add the date recorded (if known) for historical purposes?

As much as I would like to, unfortunately over 90% of them are unknown. I could provide a rough timeframe of several years for many, but that's about as good as it gets. As such, I elected to leave it out and go for more of a system-wide approach like I did with the Conrail Detectors page.

the northeast corridor ends in NY New Haven to Boston in the shoreline. need to add soundview

It depends on your interpretation. The Northeast Corridor is widely considered to go from Boston to Washington D.C., and this segment is included in Amtrak's own Northeast Corridor Employee Timetable as "New Haven to Boston Mainline." That said, the Hudson Line, Keystone Corridor, etc. are also referred to as their respective Location A to Location B Main Lines in there as well, so perhaps the Shore Line nickname is appropriate; however, the only official Amtrak use of 'Shore Line' these days is the name of the Train Dispatcher controlling the line.

Are there still voice detectors in the Baltimore/Maryland area, or is it all digital data now?

There most certainly are! These defect detectors almost exclusively broadcast on road channels, and all of those are still analog (for now).

Nick,

That's great! The older stuff especially brings back a lot of fond memories.

Couple of corrections though. . . unless they've been moved very recently, the CSX Columbus Subdivision and Northern Subdivision are in the Louisville Division, not the Great Lakes Division.

Also on the Northern Subdivision, the detector at MP 538.0 is in Kentucky, not Ohio; the border along the Ohio River is 6.5 miles railroad west of there (the Limeville/Sciotoville Bridge runs between MP1.4 and 2.1).

Next time I'm out roaming about I'll see if I can't grab audio of the detectors at 22.2 (Robbins), 35.8 (MR Cabin, kind of) and 51.3 (Hopetown) on the Northern Sub for you.

Tom WA8PYR

Appreciate it sir, updated accordingly. It's impossible to be qualified on every mile of railroad in North America, so I rely on help from those who are. Outside of the Northeast, I'm really out of my element.

I live near 2 defect scanner sites (D52.5 in Holloway MI and D64.2 in Sand Creek MI) I'll see if I can get a recording from one or both sites.

Please do! Either contact me through the website or shoot me a message on here when you do. Thanks!

What an awesome endeavor! Bravo!

Minor typo on the home page. Hint:"... and therefore must to be preserved accordingly. " :) I'll check it out in greater detail when I get off work.

D'oh! Thank you sir!

ind224

This is something I need to check out. I always listen when at a crossing hoping to hear one, hear them at the house all the time. I figured they were part of the end of train light assembly but no joy most of the time; now I know why. Noooo defects!!! Strange for me never to investigated these things....

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
A lot of people have been requesting a map, frequency, and date of recording. Unfortunately the exact date is unknown for >90% of these clips, but I was able to handle the other two requests:

Still a work in progress with a LOT of data still to enter, but it's a start.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
does anyone know if some of the old detector boards exist? I am a developer for a Rail sim called Run8 (A-Line and Waycross so far) I was really looking to put together some detectors for our routes (Right now we use Danny Harmon's voice for the CSX Detectors as he was gracious enough to record them) I would really like to add the Harmon CMA02 and Harmon Cyberscan 2000's but I would need a library built up, I have the Actual Progress Rail MicroHBD full library (not a recording)

Pretty cool idea and the people here can contribute. Having the ability to monitor and record with an SDS 100 I will be able to add to the Western Database

Status
Not open for further replies.