BC780XLT - Is it worth using in Phoenix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinphan

Hi all. Complete noob question. I just grabbed a BC780XLT buried in my dad's garage from Vegas. I live here in North Phoenix. Is it worth trying to use this scanner here or is everything digital and encrypted? Thanks.

a417

That's one of the best old-time scanners for milcom. I'd clean it up (if it's in working order) and get busy....Mike
It's also pretty good on the ARTCC air bands with a good antenna.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
It depends on what you want to listen to. AZDPS still uses UHF, MCSO and just about all municipal agencies use RWN and TOPAZ [700/800 MHz], Phoenix FD regional dispatch does use their old VHF to dispatch and to do some fireground stuff. The Feds use VHF [CBP/BLM/USFS/etc.], but many agencies are encrypted. Aviation is good, unless you want to listen to Sky Harbor ops - they are part of RWN.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Your next obvious question is where do you find air and milcom information...the first 2 are from our database

And go to the last post in this thread and pull the charts and AP1/A and B manuals....

ProScan software supports the 780...there's several threads on this software in our Scanner Progamming forum....

Mike

penguinphan

Hi Mike. It works pretty well (I think). :) I had to pick up a new power cord, and I have a window mount antenna coming in this weekend that is set up for 20-1300 MHz. Kind of complicated (again, noob), but I pulled some stuff off of this site so I'm trying. Just didn't want to throw a lot of effort into this if I wouldn't be able to pull anything in. Matt

penguinphan

I did grab the ProScan software and it worked great once I dug out my Microsoft Surface Go (I'm a rabid Mac user) :D

Thanks for all the quick responses!! Matt

jpolich7

Premium Subscriber
Most reliable scanner ever made. Ideal for Phoenix regional fire dispatch and fire ground, Arizona DPS, aviation, etc. Not capable of receiving any of the P25 systems that Motorola foisted on public safety agencies over the last 25 years. ProScan software is the best way to run the BC780XLT.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
It depends on what you want to listen to. AZDPS still uses UHF, MCSO and just about all municipal agencies use RWN and TOPAZ [700/800 MHz], Phoenix FD regional dispatch does use their old VHF to dispatch and to do some fireground stuff. The Feds use VHF [CBP/BLM/USFS/etc.], but many agencies are encrypted. Aviation is good, unless you want to listen to Sky Harbor ops - they are part of RWN.

Edit:

MCSO and much of Maricopa County uses their own P-25, phase II system.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi all. Complete noob question. I just grabbed a BC780XLT buried in my dad's garage from Vegas. I live here in North Phoenix. Is it worth trying to use this scanner here or is everything digital and encrypted? Thanks.

These days it's difficult to cope with only 500 Channels in 10 Banks.

p1879

Strive for an outside antenna and you will be happier. You can chain together search banks, besides being great on mil air it does well on low band vhf mil traffic too.

penguinphan

So an outdoor antenna is going to be an issue, since I live in an apartment. :D. I picked up a cheap 20-1300 MHz mobile antenna and have it attached to a window that faces east, and I have found that it works A LOT better than the stock antenna. Now I have to learn how to program this thing (I'm using ProScan and it works great) and I need to figure out the interesting freqs to put in. I've been getting the Phx FD A1 channel pretty clearly. And I'm trying to figure out what I'm hearing on 462.9500 (EMSCOM-9). I live at 56th St and Deer Valley, so I'm wondering if it is Mayo Hospital. If anyone has anything cool that they have found, I'll plug it in. Thanks!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For aviation and milair, see response number 5 of this thread and follow the blue links....Mike

penguinphan

Hi Mike. I've plugged those in, now I have to rearrange the banks and stuff (thanks OCD) :D
I was wondering if anyone has found anything interesting that isn't listed in the databases.

Astrak

So an outdoor antenna is going to be an issue, since I live in an apartment. :D. I picked up a cheap 20-1300 MHz mobile antenna and have it attached to a window that faces east, and I have found that it works A LOT better than the stock antenna. Now I have to learn how to program this thing (I'm using ProScan and it works great) and I need to figure out the interesting freqs to put in. I've been getting the Phx FD A1 channel pretty clearly. And I'm trying to figure out what I'm hearing on 462.9500 (EMSCOM-9). I live at 56th St and Deer Valley, so I'm wondering if it is Mayo Hospital. If anyone has anything cool that they have found, I'll plug it in. Thanks!!!
On EMSCOM you're probably heading hospital paging. I don't think the EMSCOM channels are used for their original purpose anymore.

KB7MIB

IIRC, someone said within the past year or so, that whichever hospital is using that channel for paging, is doing so illegally.
The paging can be heard Valley-wide, so they don't (at that time, at least) know which hospital it's coming from. But it's not an authorized use of the channel.

John
Peoria

penguinphan

I have found that the DPS frequencies come in really well and that the troopers can talk really fast. :)
Can someone tell me what I'm hearing when it sounds like morse code on the freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.